Skip navigation

4383 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2010 6:16 AM by Maryalicia RSS
Kali.Queen Pro 121 posts since
Sep 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2009 3:52 PM

Disney's Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend

Is anyone else participating in either of the Disney races next March?

I'll be running in the Royal Family 5K and I'm pretty excited about it! It will only be my 2nd race ever, but I figured running through Epcot has to be one of the most unique settings for me to test the racing waters!  (Plus it gives me a great excuse to have another WDW vacation)

• CSNY420 Amateur 13 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    1. Oct 8, 2009 1:31 PM (in response to Kali.Queen)
    Re: Disney's Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend

Iam planning to sign up for the Princess 1/2 Marathon tomorrow. I've already worked up a 21 week training program (with the help of many internet resources).

I wanted to do my first 1/2 Marathon in the spring so what better place than Disney?

=========================================

420csny.blogspot.com 

Happy Running!

• KBT_Folly Pro 173 posts since
    Jul 5, 2009
    2. Oct 9, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to CSNY420)
    I'm registered for the Disney Princess. My cohort is lagging on me, most likely going to drop out, so my backup is my daughter, who will absolutely kick my @$$ but be fun to be with.

My blog: Folly or Feasible?

• kmac821 Pro 122 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    3. Oct 13, 2009 1:39 PM (in response to Kali.Queen)

I was just looking at doing it as well for my first half. I am running 6 miles this weekend and would love to have something to work for. Sadly  none of my friends want to do it, and my boyfriend isn't too pumped about watching me race at 6 am. Does anyone know why it costs $120 to register?? That seems a bit steep and coming from Massachusetts I'm not sure it is totally worth it for me...

Advice?

Personal Records:

4/18/10: BAA 5K, Boston, 28/219 division, 858/4329 overall, 24:23, 7:51 pace

9/5/10: Virginia Beach Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 2380/14767, Div: 90/908, Gender: 636/8380, 1:53:14, 8:39 pace
    10/17/10: BayState Marathon, 4:09:57, 9:33 pace

Sep 1, 2009
    4. Oct 13, 2009 2:27 PM (in response to kmac821)

I'm going with a friend at work so we are planning on splitting hotel costs.   The $120 is steep but its probably that much because its Disney and they can charge that much.  I doesn't appear to directly benefit any charitable association.  I looked at last years photos and there were men running it too, so get your boyfriend signed up!

I read on antoher site, that last year the cost included the a one day park admission ticket and an after hours party, but I don't know if it will be the same this year.

I chose this one because it fit very nicely with my plan to run a 1/2 marathon in the Spring.  I live in Maryland so I wasn't too thrilled about running my first 1/2 while it is still freezing outside.  Florida on the other hand sounds PERFECT in March.

420csny.blogspot.com 

Happy Running!

• KBT_Folly Pro 173 posts since
    Jul 5, 2009
    5. Oct 13, 2009 2:42 PM (in response to CSNY420)
    Oh, I think "because it's Disney" is absolutely the answer. If there's a mouse involved, it ain't gonna be cheap. But it's flat, it's got a slow sweep time and if anyone knows how to put on an event, it's Disney, so I figured hey, why not.

My blog: Folly or Feasible?

Sep 1, 2009
    6. Oct 16, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to KBT_Folly)
    Is anyone planning on doing the Disney Coast to Coast Challenge?

420csny.blogspot.com 

Happy Running!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    7. Nov 11, 2009 8:11 PM (in response to CSNY420)

Yes,  it is high.  One of the reasons is because it costs money to open up the parks extra hours.  They have to pay "cast members" to work it.. can't have volunteers running things inside the parks.  They usually open or close at least one of the parks early and that costs money as well.   I wish it were cheaper but do understand the operating costs  are high there.  I ran the Disneyland half and it was a blast.   Have fun everyone!

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• TwinKat Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 20, 2009 12:33 PM (in response to Kali.Queen)

I'm signed up to run the half marathon. But I know the race registration doesn't include a pass to WDW.     You do get a discount...but for $120, you'd think they could throw in a day pass.

My sister was going to run it with me but she has to have toe surgery in January and won't be able to. Looks like I'll be running as a solo princess. 

Kathy

• Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    10. Jul 6, 2010 11:37 AM (in response to Kali.Queen)

Hey Kali,

I am thinking about signing up for the 2011 race. It would be my  second half marathon and I would be flying all the way across the US to  get to it. weighing the pros and cons from coming across the US to go to it - the fee is only $120 if you sign up before August 8th, 2010.

Kali or anyone -

So what  were your experiences?

Was the 16 min mile doable with all the  appeals to stop for pictures with the characters?

How much  entertainment was along the way?

They say you do not need to  purchase a ticket, but  really- should you? Same for Expo Day?

Has  anyone done it twice? How was it the second time?

Thanks for  all your help!

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

Sep 1, 2009
    12. Jul 6, 2010 3:08 PM (in response to Maryalicia)

MaryAlicia,

I ran last year's as my first 1/2 marathon and it was the best first 1/2 I could have ever picked!  There was so much to see and do.  All the people we met were great. 

To answer your questions:

So what  were your experiences?

Fantastic.  Disney puts on a great race, very well organized.  One thing to keep in mind is race day you have to get up EARLY, like 3am early.  Last year it was 40 degrees, not normally what you expect when you think of Florida, but pack a throw away sweatshirt to keep warm.  We were waiting almost 2.5 hours until start time.  .  For the weekend, my friend and I arrived on Friday and hit the expo that day.  Saturday was fun and early bed.  Sunday was Race Day and nap, and Monday was pool and leaving. If I were to do it again, I would arrive on Saturday, hit expo, then leave 2 days after the race.  That way you can actually enjoy part of Disney and have a glass of wine.

Was the 16 min mile doable with all the  appeals to stop for pictures with the characters?

If that is what you want to do, then yes it is possible.  There were a LOT of walkers.  I did hear later that the walkers who did a 15:30-16min mile, didn't get any or much food at the finish and tables were being broken down in prepatration of park opening.

All and all Disney is a very fun race.  I didn't stop for pictures, because I wanted to see how fast I could do my first 1/2  (2:35:37), but there was music, characters, and people cheering you on the whole way.

How much  entertainment was along the way?

Beginning at mile 2 there was something every single mile.  Running through Cinderella's castle was amazing, I started to tear up.

They say you do not need to  purchase a ticket, but  really- should you? Same for Expo Day?

Last year there were no free or discounted tickets to the park.  Totally sucked.

I don't know if I'm going to do it again next year, but for personal reasons, not any kind of bad experices reasons.  I recommend this as an awesome ladies get-a-way weekend.  I loved being called "Princess" all weekend.

420csny.blogspot.com 

Happy Running!

• Maryalicia Legend 255 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    14. Jul 7, 2010 6:16 AM (in response to Kali.Queen)

Thanks all. this would not be my first 1/2 (that is in Sep), but I  am torn between running it for fun or time. I will keep assessing. Hoping we get a few more posts on experiences.

Maryalicia

Stroller Racer Extraordinaire!

I know you don't like me racing with my stroller, but I will do my best to respect you and the race!

AKA -Jim's Virtual Racing Antagonist Assiatant!

FEAR THE STROLLER! (Just saying)

Next -

Columbia Gorge Half Marathon, Hood River, OR, October 24th, 2010

ORCC Autumn Leaves 10K Run, Champoeg Park (Newberg, OR), 30 Oct 2010

Some Turkey Trot Race (Can't decide between Zoo or Sherwood)

Hot Butterred Run 12K Run, 27 Novermber 2010

Complete:

ARC in Motion 5K walk/run, Vancouver, WA (35:25 with a stroller)

Spark your Heart 5K Run, Bend, OR 4 July 2010 (31:08 with a stroller)

A Servant Festival Race 10K - Run for the Homeless, Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (60:11 with a stroller)

Skirtchaser 5K,  Vancouver, WA 7 August 2010 (30:01 with a stroller)

Clark County Running Club, 5K Training Run (28:00 with a stroller)

Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon, Carlton, OR, 5 September 2010 (Chip Finish 02:01:10.0)

Round UP on the Bluff 5K Run and Fun Walk, University of Portland, OR 18 September 2010 (No Chip- But timers have me at 22:50)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...