Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61155 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36 Previous Next
  • PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    330. Nov 12, 2009 1:34 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Jen - 20 minute run

Hi Jen - I did not think it was possible for me to run 20 minutes so I repeated several of the previous days until my brain was ready.  I am in no rush to complete this program nor do I want to injure myself so when I'm ready to move on to a longer interval, I do;  when I'm not ready to move on, I just repeat until I am.  At first, I felt guilty, lazy, fat, ugly, etc. 

Now I'm a mean lean running machine!  Chuckle

Actually I'm the slowest mean lean running machine out there and 70 year old ladies pass me

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    331. Nov 12, 2009 6:28 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Jen - 20 minute run

Missed my run yesterday but I got it in this morning.  It actually worked out better anyway.  Dropped my son at school for a field trip which buses left at 630 am so I ran right after and it was great to run that early as the sun was coming up.  Little drizzle and cool.  W5d2 second 8 minutes was tough but I was running up hill also.  I just kept a slow pace and got throught it.  Tried not to think about the time just focused on the run.  Actually looking forward to the 20 minutes just to challenge myself and see if I can do it all the way.

Pee Wee I am sure you are not the slowest runner...I too keep a slow pace, I figure the speed will come as we get more experience.  Don't sweat it!!  You are doing great!:)

Night all and happy running:)

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    332. Nov 13, 2009 5:10 AM (in response to catsrcul)
    Re: Did W6D3 - 2 1/4mi!

Catsrcul,

now promise me you won't laugh- but I am a total technophobe-a total old school luddite

so-when we started the C25K with 60 second repeats- I would just count them out--onethousand one,onethousand two and so forth.

i knew I was supposed to be able to carry on a conversation as I ran------and I actually kind of muttered these outloud,under my breath-helped with my

pacing.- I tracked my time that way for Weeks

when we got to 10 minute repeats- I brought a cel phone along and double checked my counting against the clock on the celp phone- my counting was quite accurate.

thing is-in the early days- all that counting,I think, helped me controll my paceAND more importantly it mentally gave me something to concentrate on BESIDEs wether my knees hurt or if I was breathing to hard or whatever.

now- I have switched where I run from a towpath-to a park with posted milage on the trails-and I am comparing the stated milage against my actual time.

saturday when I run- I will run one path that is marked as 1.6 miles-check my time on the fly and then run a second path that is marked as 1.1 miles.- that will have me running 2.7 miles.

I know where I stopped yesterday after 25 minutes- and I want to run a bit farther tommorrow- but hopefully not longer than 28 mintes tops.

I doubt that I will EVER by a buy a GPS system or a fancy watch- but I am planning to treat myself to a nice shell/outer layer so I can run in snow/sleet/rain a little more comfortably.

best wishes,

stephen

Oct 3, 2009

Jen,

absolutely trust the C25K program.

speaking for myself- I absolutely think if you progressed steadily through the first 4 weeks-the 20 minute run on W5 will be manageable.

Start out slow- make sure you can talk outloud periodacally- forinstance- can you say outloud" Am I Running Too Fast?, I don't Think so" without choking or gasping- you are probably ok-if not, dial it back a notch

I was also curious about going back to repeats for W6D1 and W6D2

what I think- is that in a lot of training programs-you spend weeks building to a certain level-and then you dial DOWN for a week or so-and then you resume building back up over several weeks to an even HIGHER peak.- that dialed downm period- is when your body gets stronger-it's like the recovery day-only longer

also-after the 20 minute run- the w^D1 8 minute interval will remind you of the importance of pacing- I started it thinking" hey I can run 20 minutes now- this 8 minute interval is beneath me---"-and I ran it a bit too fast- that 3 minute walking break before the second interval is when I pulled my head together, reminded myself of proper pacing-and the second interval was a snap.

when the time comes- you will be suprised how well the 25 minute run goes-

Best wishes,

Stephen

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Musings on This Morning's Run

1. Even if you live in a tropical area and the temp drops 20 degrees you don't need any sort of jacket.

2. I'm not even sure you need 3/4 long sleeves. Ha ha.

3. I had some weird non helpful funky breathing pattern this morning that didn't work out at all. I fought thru it and God gave me the grace to get thru the first ten minutes of W6D2.

4. Due to #3 I now know what to do if I feel like I'm hyperventilating.

5. I think if I had brought a Kleenex along I could have blowed my nose and I could have made it thru the first ten minutes more easily.

6. Once my nose started to drip on it's own I was able to stop mouth breathing. I know -TMI.

I can't think of anything else so I will end my list of musings. Ha ha.

I'm on my way to the doctor. If you are a praying person please pray for me. The left side of my face has been tingling for four? days. When I called to make an appointment the lady scared me a little saying that I shouldn't wait until the doctor I usually see and love was in. Apparently, he is not in today so I'm seeing someone I don't know. I'm hoping the tingling is just stress from the intractable itching I had r/t chigger bites.

Tell us about your latest run.

TTYL!

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

Karen,

I am praying for your doctor's visit.  I am sure it will go well.  It is good you are having it looked at.  Great job on Week 6 Day 2!  I found week 6 to be a struggle.

I was going to get up and run this morning, but I woke in the middle of the night with asthma.  It has been forever since I had an attack.  Sometimes when I have an attack, I can just work on my breathing and fall back asleep. This was bad enough that I had to get up, walk downstairs to take my inhaler.  I am still feeling bad this morning.  I have something to do tonight, so I won't be able to run tonight.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    336. Nov 13, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to k9178)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Hey,

Stephen great job on doing 2 1/4! Great time to!

Karen hope everything is ok at the doctors.  You made me laugh over the nose running. Before I got on my treadmill I made sure to blow my nose and thought about bring tissue. But I didnt need it. My mouth was so dry even though I had water. Not sure if its this cold air.

Kendra, sorry to hear about the asthma, I hope everything is ok.

SOOO today was w6d3. Honestly, thinking about it this morning I figured I just couldnt do it. No way can I run 25 minutes. I got on my treadmill, and after 5 I was debating to just to to a mile haha. Once I got to 10 minutes, I decided I would beat my time on my last mile last week. Once I got to the first mile I had 11 minutes to go so I said ok I can do this. I am picking up more speed then last week. I didnt have to turn down my pace till 20 minutes, then after 2 min, I put it up again. So in 25 minutes I ran 1.8 miles. I wanted to go to 2 miles. But I just stop at 25 minutes.

Jen I was so nervous doing the 20 minutes. Every time I get on the treadmill I have the same feeling. I ran it slow, but got it done, goodluck.

Next week I plan on just running the 25 minutes, I know monday will be hard. Because mondays always seem to suck for the running. Im hoping to get 2 miles in under 25 before week 8.

Good job to everyone

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    337. Nov 13, 2009 6:51 PM (in response to Tika417)

Tonight was W7D3, except I did things a little differently. I had made it further than I had Tuesday, and I said to myself, "I'm going to keep going." So I did. Two miles! It took a heck of a long time, but I did it. I almost cried I was so excited.

And now I'm exhausted...so I'm going to lay in bed and watch Say Yes to the Dress.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

Oct 14, 2009

Libby,

Congratulations!!! That is awesome.  You give me confidence to really jump in and keep going like you did.

Kendra

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Libby awesome Job! I love say yes to that dress. Now that my husband is home at nights I can't watch the new ones, just gonna have to dvr them.

D

Oct 3, 2009
    340. Nov 14, 2009 6:18 AM (in response to drinkup)

Well folks,

I am just back from W7D1

I have to admidt- I am incredulous that I am at week SEVEN already---

-looking back on it-this has been no time at all!-we have really moved along.

now,everybody- I know we have all tried to be strictly honest with each other- there wouldn't be any point in all of this is we were not honest-so in keeping with strict accuracy-W7D1

was

pretty

brutal

It' smy own fault----

I did W6D2 on tuesday-then had a physically rigorous work day on tuesday and weds-and then did W6D3 on thursday

took friday off as a recovery day-and then ran W7D1 this morning

i probably should have taken 2 days off and ran it tommorrow.

I ran the distances and the times ok-but It was harder than it needed to be

I am running in a park now-with posted distances on the trails- I do one trail @ 1.6 miles-and then part of another short trail @1.1 miles.

thursday I did the 1.6 mile trail in 16 minutes

this morning I did the 1.6 mile trail in FIFTEEN minutes-too fast

then I ran  the same section of the 1.1 mile trail I ran on thursday-but I ran about 300 yards further-and stopped right at 25 minutes.

At every point in the run- I felt like I could step up the pace and run faster- but I was breathing pretty hard as it was

I did try to mix it up in the second part of the run.

I definitely confirmed I would rather be able to run further,slower than to run faster.

for example I would rather be able to run 4 miles at 11 minutes each-than run 2  eight minute miles.-- i think If I can run say---4 eleven minute miles- i should be able to run a 5k race in a time that won't embarass a 47year old male.

I definitely have to watch this- I should use some self dicipline and not run again untill tuesday.-that would give me tuesday,thursday,sunday as a good schedule- it worked pretty well for me so far-and clearly I can use the 2 days off.

definitely think that i have to work on some self dicipline and restraint- because clearly a little over enthusiasm on my part makes me capable of pushing myself to run faster than I have any business running at this poinjt- and probably faster than my body can take for long.

it seems like my race pace is probably a 10 minute mile-and I shouldn't be training every run at that pace.

weather fantastic,sunny and 50's here

wishing everyone excellent progress with W7 and Week 8

Ladies- do they really make movies about buying dresses?---what's up with THAT?,LOL

stephen

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    341. Nov 14, 2009 7:08 AM (in response to Tika417)
    25 MINUTES

Count them...

one

two

three

four

---

twenty three

twenty four

twenty five!!!!!

Oh yeah!  All right!  That's the way!  Uh Huh!  Who da' man?

Oct 3, 2009
    342. Nov 14, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: 25 MINUTES

who da man?

PeeWee da  MAN!

Booya!

Oct 14, 2009
    343. Nov 14, 2009 8:48 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Re: 25 MINUTES

Yeah, Stephen and PeeWee!  Awesome job!  Congratulations on making it through.

I agree with the fact that 7 weeks has totally flown by.  I am a bit sad today that I can't go run because I have my 5K walk tomorrow, and I want to do my run during that to see how far I can actually go.   I can't believe that I am actually sad I can't run.  That is crazy talk, but I am really glad to say it.  The encouragement I get on these boards and the feeling that we are all in it together has been incredible.  It has been a huge help to know that I am not the only one out there struggling to become a runner.

Great job, everyone!  I can't wait to hear how runs go this weekend.

Kendra

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    344. Nov 14, 2009 10:25 AM (in response to Tika417)

Well, everyone, I haven't been posting lately, but I've definitely been keeping up my training.  And today, I ran my very first-ever 5K in an official event.

I finished (unofficially so far) at 34:11, which really just blows my mind.  I was able to run the first mile without a break, and then I had to walk a little bit in mile 2, and I still had some energy left to actually RUN the last quarter mile or so.

Does this mean I've graduated from the couch to 5k program?

I'm looking forward to doing more 5k's!  Everyone, keep up the great work.  It's worth it, believe me.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...