Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

74587 Views 704 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2010 12:47 PM by dezjeli RSS 1 2 3 ... 47 Previous Next
TAloha19 Amateur 14 posts since
May 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2009 12:25 PM

C25k starting next week 11/16- who's in?

Ok, a little background on myself. I'm 28 (well, I will be in a couple of days), mother to a 2 year old, and about 40lbs. overweight. I have never been an athlete, and definately not a runner. I started the c25k program last summer, but living in Southern California, the heat killed me, and I quit. I had already signed up for a 5k mud run this past September, and it kicked my butt! But, it also made me realize how out of shape I am, and how badly I want to be in shape. SO... now that the weather has started cooling off, I thought I'd give it another go!

Anyone want to start it with me next week? I'm shooting form a M-W-F training schedule, but since my work schedule varies, it might move around a little bit.

Also, anyone who knows of any easy hikes or trails in Southern California, I'm definately open to suggestions to keep it fun!

• mama2LL Pro 60 posts since
    Nov 10, 2009
    1. Nov 10, 2009 2:40 PM (in response to TAloha19)
    Re: C25k starting next week 11/16- who's in?

I think I'll be joining you!  We seem to be in similar situations!  I am 30 yrs. old and have a 3 yr. old and a 6 month old.  I stay home with them.  It is time to finally get my body back!  After 2 kids, I am ready to have something for myself, and hopefully get in shape and drop about 30 lbs in the process!  I am also planning to shoot for a M, W, F schedule with the workouts being in the AM before my DH heads out to work for the day.  I tried this program once before, but didn't last...so I am hoping this helps me stay accoutable.  I have already gone and bought my new running shoes and have purchased a few things to wear for the runs.  I live in FL, so the weather is pretty miserable during the summer months.  It is just now starting to cool off (mid 70's during the days and mid 60's overnight) so I hope I can keep at it.  I have my sights set for a 5k on Feb 6th...12 wks to train!  I think that's pretty reasonable.

I just want to add that I am starting from scratch!  I have not been doing any sort of physical activity (other than chasing around my kids), so I will be a beginner, for sure! 

Looking forward to the journey!

c25k Graduation:  January 16, 2010

1-16-10  MLK 5k  42:59

2-20-10  House of Hope Run Through the Pines 5k  36:44

Nov 10, 2009
    2. Nov 11, 2009 11:55 AM (in response to mama2LL)

Every day getting a little more prepared!  Today I went and joined the local Y.  I figured I could do my runs there when/if the weather is bad and also, when I need childcare if my DH is out of town or something.  Plus, I'm hoping to use it for my off days.  Maybe do some strength training or pilates or something. 

• TigerAimee Amateur 14 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    4. Nov 13, 2009 6:12 PM (in response to TAloha19)

I'm in.

I am actually probably starting tomorrow.  I have been walking/running along with weight training for about a month but I want to get serious about the cardio.

Mother of three (7,5 & 3) & own my own business.

But I CAN and WILL make time for me.

Let's do this ladies!

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    5. Nov 11, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to TAloha19)

I am totally in!  Perfect timing for me.  And it's nice to be here with fellow "mom's".    I'm 35 (gasp), married 14 years (gasp), have three kids 9, 7, and 4 (triple gasp), and am 60lbs over weight (ick).  I have done the C25K many times.  All times have worked very well, but I just don't keep with it.  I did my first triathlon (Danskin) this summer about 15lbs ago.  I have not worked out since I crossed the finish line of the race.  How sad is that???

I'm excited to start this up with all of you.  I'm going to do some walking on the TM over the next few days to limber up the joints.

~Jill

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• Naniki13 Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    6. Nov 12, 2009 5:40 AM (in response to jcrule)

Good Morning,   I would love to join all of you.  My name is Ginger, I am 54, live in Clarksville Tn.  My son is a College Senior.  My plan is to  start walking/running 5K's.  I have lost 30#'s over the last nine months and have 20 tough pounds I would like to shed by Spring.  Its a Birthday Gift I would like to give myself at age 55 .  Many years past I was able to control my weigh if I ran on a regular basis.  I have never ran a 5K but after reading a few posts I believe the high you get will keep me motivated to continue.  I want to live a long time, get into shape, be healthy and do this for ME.   We can do it!  Ginger

Nov 10, 2009
    7. Nov 12, 2009 10:54 AM (in response to Naniki13)

Good to see a few more people join in!  I am very excited at the thought of loosing weight, getting in shape and actually completing a 5k!  Today I went to the gym and was given the whole assesment thing...body mass index, measurements, etc.  I guess it's a good way to track our progress.  I also was shown how to use the cardio machines.  I did a 15 minute walk on the treadmill before I had to go get my kids and tried the 60 second jog, just to see how hard it was going to be, and it wasn't too terribly hard for me.  I am sure it will get challenging very quickly, but it gave me a little boost of confidence! 

Who here is going to be using an ipod and downloading the podcasts?  I don't have an ipod, but hope to get one soon.  Just wondering if I should definitely try to get one before Monday.  Hmmm...  Also, if you have an ipod, do you have the shuffle, nano or touch?  I think I'd like the size of the shuffle the best.  I don't think I'd want to have something strapped to my arm while running.  Anyone have thoughts about that?

Hope everyone has a great day!

• TigerAimee Amateur 14 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    8. Nov 12, 2009 12:44 PM (in response to mama2LL)

I have the C25K app on my iphone.  It lets you listen to your own music while a man (with a very ominious voice) tells you when to run and when to walk.  I actually did Day One last night and laughed every time he said "Run."  My shins felt pretty bad last night but they feel fine now.  I am overweight so the running has to be hard on my poor joints but all this weight doesn't help either.

I am doing Day 2 on Saturday and am excited to see how it goes.

Downloading podcasts sometime today - there are several to choose from on itunes.

• Naniki13 Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    9. Nov 12, 2009 1:01 PM (in response to TigerAimee)

Music Question?  I would like to put music on an mp3 player.   Planning to download the music with the prompt to walk/run.   Does it cost to use itunes?  Do you download onto your computer and then transfer to the mp3 player?  A bit older than the rest but fully capable of figuring this out.......lol....your help is much appreciated.

• melissa0509 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    10. Nov 12, 2009 4:47 PM (in response to mama2LL)

In case you haven't seen this info elsewhere, before you invest in an Ipod for running, DO NOT buy the new Ipod shuffle (the really small, narrow one) This model is absolutely a no go for anyone who plans to work out with it b/c moisture (sweat) kills them. Google "new Ipod shuffle sweat" for many, many sad stories from people who've been disappointed by this fact. If you want a shuffle, find an older model (the squarish one with the controls on the Ipod, not on the headphone cord), which does not suffer from this problem. I loved my new teeny Shuffle, but just had to order an older model from Amazon to replace it when it died after only a few runs.

• Lisag81 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    11. Nov 12, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to TAloha19)

Wow, I feel like my story is pretty similar to you!  I'm also 28 and about 30-40lbs overweight.  I don't have kids, but one of my long term goals is to lose weight and get healthier so my husband and I can start trying!!  I actually started week one of C25K before I found this thread, but I would still like to read everyone's updates and contribute to this conversation.  I would like to start doing some races in the spring of 2010, one being my father-in-law's memorial 5k.  I am super motivated!  Let's motivate each other!

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    12. Nov 12, 2009 5:32 PM (in response to TAloha19)

I am in.  I am 37, single (no kids), grad student, and more overweight that I want to admit.  I have been walking for several weeks, and am now ready for the C25K.  I will be working out on M TH  and F, at least for the first few weeks as my night class is on Wednesday.  I am in the process of teaching myself to add the voice track to my music to make my own training music.  It will be interesting to see how it goes. 

Here we go.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    13. Nov 12, 2009 6:30 PM (in response to mngreeneyes)

Hi Greeneyes,

I would recommend you not do training days back to back.  Running really does tax the bones and joints and your body will need time to recoup.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• gem66 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    14. Nov 12, 2009 8:44 PM (in response to TAloha19)

Hi All, I am in. I have been doing a few things this week to prepare. I will do a trial run on the 13th and then begin Monday the 16th as well. I am a 38 year old mother of 2, ages 11 and 12. I know we can do this. I am looking for a 5k to register for. I know we can all do this!

1 2 3 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links