Five-Star Basketball Pre-Season Crash Course!
Maximize your talent by working hard every day – take care of your business !!
1) MOVES OFF THE DRIBBLE
Two Dribble Pullup – hard second dribble into shot, one / two step (don’t hop into shot)
Step Back – If you can’t get by him, get AWAY from him!
Dip inside shoulder and press hard off inside foot to created space
Keep shoulders forward as you prepare to shoot
* Add the Drive and Crossover off of Stepback
2) MOVES OFF THE CATCH ON THE WING
Back Pivot – turn back to passer on catch, creates space, gets you closer to basket to begin move
Rip Through – swing ball through on pivot, keep inside shoulder down (touch his ankle)
one dribble pullup or layup
Jab and Shoot – jab at him to show rip through (Sell It!)
stay low and come back halfway with shoulders forward for shot
Jab / Cross / One Dribble Stepback – jab hard , crossover step, 1 dribble stepback
3) MOVES IN THE POST
Forearm Post - make contact, post with forearm in defenders chest and open to middle of floor
1. Rip Through 2. Spin 3. Jab / Shot 4. Jab / 1 Dribble Stepback
4) LOST ART OF MOVING WITHOUT THE BALL
A. Why is it a lost art?
1. Most plays are designed to be either 1 on 1 or 2 on 2
2. Every player feels that they have to handle the ball to be involved and/or effective
3. It is too much work to move and not get the ball
B. Once you learn to move without the ball you will:
1. Understand how important movement is to offense
2. Be a better player
3. Know that a person in perpetual motion is harder to defend
4. Score more often and easier
C. In order to score you must be able to get open (WIDE OPEN)
1. U.S.- Uncontested shots
2. Traffic light for shooting based on if you are open or not
5) SHOOTING DRILLS
1. UP-THE HILL/DOWN THE HILL SHOOTING DRILL
-Coach or teammate stand at top of key w/ball use chest pass!
-Use 3 chairs, space them 4ft apart!
1. Put the 1st chair inside the 3 pt line 2 ft. from baseline
2. Mid-post extended is the 2nd chair
3. Elbow extended is the 3rd chair
(All chairs inside 3-pt line)
UP THE HILL:
-Start on the wing, sprint to baseline, touch w/outside foot and curl into chair catch-n-shoot!
-Sprint back to wing, then go back to baseline, curl into mid-post and do the same @ elbow!
CHECK OUT FIVE-STAR BASKETBALL for more instruction!
ACTIVE is the leader in online event registrations from 5k running races and marathons to softball leagues and local events. ACTIVE also makes it easy to learn and prepare for all the things you love to do with expert resources, training plans and fitness calculators.