Skip navigation

1439 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 11:15 AM by dutch omi 1 2 Previous Next
DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 13, 2009 9:19 AM

Friday Runs

Anyone running today? I knocked out 5 miles on another pretty Fall day. Pittsburgh's weather has been just beautiful this week: ~50-60 degrees and sunny. My run was just okay. I kind of felt like I was running through sand. Not a bad run, but it just felt like something was out of sync. I'm really looking forward to this weekend with the exception of a paper I need to write for neuroscience Otherwise it looks like I have a happy hour at my favorite martini bar, the ballet, two birthday celebrations (one at a tapas place with amazing sangria), two runs and I hope some time on the bike I hope everyone has fantastic runs and wonderful weekends!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Nov 13, 2009 9:53 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Friday Runs

Kat,

Enjoy the great WX and the week-end festivities.

I ran 5 and 1/2 this morning in the wind and rain (I am ready for the sun).

We are spending the weekend with my dad, that means some good hills for Sat long run!

Hope everyone has a good week-end!  Phillip

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Nov 13, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I ran a quick 3 miles in the chilly rain at lunch on the C&O Towpath.  One of those runs where you don't even try to stay dry.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Nov 13, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Sounds like some good runs were had.  I, on the other hand, had the first really shi!!y run in a long time.  I did 15 miles and each and everyone of those was tough.  The body just wasn't cooperating.  I finished, a 9:50 pace, and that felt too fast.  Glad to have that one behind me.  It's a beauty of a day here.  Not a lot of plans for the weekend.  Out to a friend's house for dinner tomorrow night, a really good craft fair, great artists, and maybe get some reading in.

• H. Collins Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009
    5. Nov 13, 2009 11:51 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I ran 5.5 miles today in 50 degree weather.  Got in the house two seconds before it started pouring again - we are getting such horrible rain in DC!!  My run was decent, but I feel like I didn't get a good pace going until mile 3.  This is happening a lot to me lately.  I think my body temperature is taking longer and longer to warm up and it makes me stiff.  Have my first 10k race this weekend in DC.  Hoping to get in under 1 hour.

Happy runs to everyone!

HAC

Training for a half marathon in May 2010! Up to an 8k now and looking forward to moving onto 10k next month.
  • ColdForged Pro 145 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    7. Nov 13, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Weather has been incredibly yucky this week here. Since Monday I've been wanting to get a waterproof shell and I keep saying "I'm going to go get one" then my wife says "don't, I'll go find one for you today" and I say "oh that's nice of you" then she doesn't get around to it and now it's Friday and I haven't run all week . I can do wet, I can do cold, I can't do wet and cold. So I did 50 minutes on the stationary bike today instead since my plan calls for cross-training anyway.

I'll have to just go out there and get a shell today, though. I'm heading to Seattle on Sunday for several days of work and was looking forward to running in a new town. Until I looked at the weather that is. Rain on Sunday. Rain on Monday. To switch things up a bit it looks like it'll rain on Tuesday and Wednesday. . However, I'll be styling in some kind of shell and my snappy new red MCM mesh hat that's somewhere on a FedEx truck in my town today. So if you're in Seattle next week and see a guy running in the rain at night in a red MCM hat, wave.

2009 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

2010 Shamrock Marathon Finisher

Twitter :: My running site :: My personal site

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    8. Nov 13, 2009 2:47 PM (in response to ColdForged)

5 miles on the treadmill for me today and good news - chest/lungs barely hurt! (I currently have a call into the doctor, will hopefully be fit in sometime next week) I've noticed that if I'm entertained or completely zoned out, I don't notice the discomfort as much, so good thing there was some good TV (aka trashy reality) on this afternoon!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    9. Nov 13, 2009 3:14 PM (in response to badgergrl)

That's the only way to make the dreadmill bearable.  Glad to hear that you're at least feeling some better.

• MarineTanker Expert 56 posts since
    May 4, 2008
    10. Nov 13, 2009 5:13 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I ran a 8.6 mi today, and it was on of my best runs yet.  I used the supplements that you and Will suggested and it worked great!!  I used 1 packet of Clip 2 for a 1hr 15 min run and it worked great.  Thanks for your help.  I'll use the s-caps for my long runs.  Can't wait to see how they work with the Clip2 !!

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    11. Nov 13, 2009 5:19 PM (in response to MarineTanker)

I got 8.0 today according to my fancy new watch which I carefully calibrated yesterday.  I did the same old loop I've done for some time but it came out 7.6 last week.  My husband knew that was wrong so I redid my shoe pod.  It's a good thing it was wrong on the right side and I've actually been doing more!  The weather is spectacular here after the rain and slop from Ida.  I hope you all get it all by you soon and it leaves you with sparkling and perfect days for the races this weekend.  Run like the wind!

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    12. Nov 14, 2009 6:36 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Knocked out 8 miles this morning.  Target pace was 8:30.  After my warm-up mile, the next 6 were between 8:21 - 8:29.  That got me very close to on pace.  The last mile at 8:11 brought me in at 11 seconds under the target time of 1:08.  Tried to keep the splits as even as possible. That worked out pretty well.  I'll be doing 20 miles Sunday morning while breaking in the shoes I plan to run Vegas with.  Sticking with my trusty Mizuno Waveriders.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

• H. Collins Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009
    13. Nov 15, 2009 6:04 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Finished my first 10k in 65:30.  About 5 minutes slower than I hoped for, but I will take the finish.    I am feeling the pain now ... kinda feels like I got hit by a truck, but I will gladly do it all over again next weekend!  Hope everyone had a great weekend.

HAC

Training for a half marathon in May 2010! Up to an 8k now and looking forward to moving onto 10k next month.
  • MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    14. Nov 16, 2009 3:55 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

DCtoPgh wrote:

Ron- I know the "don't even try to stay dry" runs. That was my peak run for JFK... chilly and wet. It was really miserable, but sort of a badge of courage to get through it. Good job getting out there. Also nice to see you posting again!! Come back

Yeah, life's gotten pretty crazy lately, and I haven't been able to post too much and keep up with the threads.  My mom died 2 weeks ago back in Chicago, so everything's been turned upside-down for a bit.  It wasn't a surprise - she'd been quite ill for a long time.  She was 82.  One of those cases where it's sad, but honestly it was for the best.  She wasn't really living life anymore, and caring for her had become more than my dad could manage on his own.

I've managed to keep running, but my weekly mileage dropped to below 20 for a couple of weeks now.  I'm hoping to get a good rhythm back runningwise this week.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...