Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61165 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 36 Previous Next
  • Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008

Way to go!!!!  Congrats on your 5K run Pearsonflyer!!!!

I ran my first 20 minutes today...I made it!  So excited!  It is amazing the change in muscle groups that work when running versus walking.  I could feel the relief in those muscles when it was time for the cool down walk wooo.  The walk definetly felt good as well as stretching at the end.  Can't wait for the 25 minute run next week.

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    346. Nov 15, 2009 1:03 PM (in response to Sdnoles1)
    I did a 5K! (Run/Walk)

Well, I went and did a 5K today.  I would love to say I ran the whole thing, but I realized that I am probably still a bit more comfortable doing intervals for that distance.  I ran and walked it in 43:17.   At least that is what I think they said.  It was a charity walk/run for preemie babies in San Diego, so it wasn't really a formal timed event with the time chips.  It was a great way to test how well I am doing.  The good news is that it was a low key environment, and I did just fine.  My time wasn't great, but I wasn't walking the whole way.  I ran much more this time than I did at the Race for the Cure 5K a few years ago, when I pretty much walked the whole thing.  I now know what I need to do to build up my running time or to shorten my intervals.  It wasn't difficult at all (since I walked and ran), and I feel really good afterward.  It gets me motivated for the next one.  Maybe the Turkey trot on Thanksgiving.

One question, I walked around a lot at the start to warm up and then I started running at the start.  I think that was a mistake because I wasn't really warmed up.  Would you do the 5 minute warm up at the start of the race just to make sure you are really warm?  I think that may have messed up my game a bit, and I would probably change my next race to do 5 minutes walking at the start.  I would love feedback on that as well.

Keep running everyone!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Congrats Kendra and Pearson Flyer for doing your 5k's!    Great job! 

I finished WK 7 Day 3... SO 5 more C25K workouts till graduation day Thanksgiving Day  turkey trot!  I did not feel like going running today.. because I have to work tonight.  6pm till 2am at the happiest place on Earth.  But I went and I'm glad I did.  Now I can go on a hike tomorrow instead of running.     I'm already trying to align everything just right to be in the best shape for the "real" 5k!   

Karen.. I hope things went okay at the Dr's. 

hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    348. Nov 16, 2009 5:29 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Congrats 5Kers! :)

Congrats to our 5Kers!

I did W7D1 on Saturday, which running for distance is 2 1/2 miles. It was a very hard run for me, and several times I felt like I wanted to quit, but I kept going. I have slowed my pace on the treadmill down alot and actually upped the incline a bit.

We are doing great! Cannot believe how far we've come - great job everyone!

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    349. Nov 16, 2009 9:18 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Hey!

Today didnt go as well as I planned. Im on w7d1 and didnt make my 25 and stopped half way for a few secs. Im not sure what went wrong, I ate a bagel and chugged coffee before hand, I ran faster than I should of to get a better 1 mile. I did make it to 20 and got 1.5 miles. I plan on going to day 2. I always seem to do horrible on mondays, not sure if its because I  take the weekends off and its hard for me to get started again, But all in all, Im not going to let in bring me down. Next time I m going to keep with the lower speed and not rush it. Goodjob to everyone else!

D

• Ness09 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    350. Nov 16, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to Tika417)

Hi!

I've been following along with you guys, but didn't think I had anything to add to the conversation until now.  I finished my W5D3 on Friday, so I'm a few weeks behind you all.  Though I'm super proud of myself (and all of you!), I'm really wanting to share how running has helped my knee!  I tore my ACL in my right knee in January of 2008, with reconstructive surgery in May of 2008.  It hasn't been the same since...always completely unstable and week, even though I completed physical therapy.  I thought it was something that I'd just have to get used to, even with this C25K business.  I was WRONG!  After I finished running the 20 minutes on Friday, yes I was tired, yes I was proud, but my KNEE!  My knee felt so strong!  I can walk up and down stairs and not feel like everything is going to collapse!

Just having that feeling is motivating me to do week 6 this week.  I know it may seem small, but to feel strong like that again...man!  What a great feeling!

Thanks for listening!  You guys inspire me every day!

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    351. Nov 16, 2009 12:41 PM (in response to Tika417)

W6 D3

I completed W6 D3 yesterday. I took everyone's advice and took it very slowly. (I run at probably a slower speed than many walkers) but I was able to complete the 25 minutes. I find this very hard to believe since this C25K is my first experience running..and since I am probably older than everyone else..I am really looking forward to tomorrow W7 D1..and hopefully going to enter a 5 race in a few weeks.

Everyone is doing great.

aprillilly
  • catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Hello Fellow Runners,

Completed W6D3 today. The 25 minute run went fine. I only covered 1 1/2 miles since I run like a penguin. I'm slow and steady.

I had no difficulty breathing.

My son supported me at my side. He rode his bike alongside me.

Halfway thru, my legs did feel very heavy. I moved from the asphalt to the side of the road where there was some grass.

Thanks to all who asked about my doctor's visit. The doctor thought all my nerves were intact. I passed that test. He sent me for a CAT scan and that didn't show anything.

The left side of my  face is still twitching and tingling and sometimes I feel a little unsteady on my feet when I'm walking. It's really strange.

A friend of mine who is a pediatrician recommended that I take a supplement of the B vitamins so I bought that tonight. Another friend told me that her sister had some similar symptoms as me and that she had to take B12 injections.

Hmmmm....

Karen

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Sep 12, 2009
    353. Nov 16, 2009 10:02 PM (in response to drinkup)

Drinkup, what was on that bagel?. Occasionally, I'll have a bagel before I run but not more than 1/2 bagel and I only have a tat of butter and a little jelly on it.  I may or may not have the other 1/2 of the bagel after the run.

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Sep 12, 2009
    Aprillilly, great job! You are on the same day as me.
    Ness09 that's great news about your knee! Thanks for sharing.
    Kendra & Pearson Flyer, great job on your 5Ks.!
    Kendra, maybe you need something besides an inhaler. I didn't do well with an inhaler along. I take Singulair now and I'm able to progress in C25K and have more endurance.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Sep 12, 2009
    355. Nov 16, 2009 10:13 PM (in response to catsrcul)

I wish I had read this before my run yesterday morning. I love this quote. It's from the Quote of the Day from runnersword.com. The quote of the day is delivered to my email box M-F.

"The more I thought about what I get  to do, the less I realized I had to do. It was just a shift, just a new  perspective, just a new and more grateful method for labeling the things in my  life. Think about it—if you stopped yourself every single time you were about to  say, "I have to" and changed it to "I get to," it might change your entire  experience."

-Kristin  Armstrong, Mile Markers blog, runnersworld.com

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    356. Nov 16, 2009 10:59 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Karen,

I am so glad that the doctor's visit went well.  I hope that the symptoms dissappear and you are back to normal. Congratulations on the 25 minutes.  That is so awesome!!  I am way past singular with my asthma.  I took it many years ago, but they kept moving me up in the meds as my asthma symptoms got worse.  I actually take a steriod inhaler to control the inflammation.  They work very well, and it keeps my asthma under control.  I have been off them over time, but I had a really bad case of bronchitis this summer, and the doctor told me to stick with it.  Since I am working my lungs much more, I am glad to have the extra boost.  I think my breathing is good.  Now it is more mental than physical I think.  I just need to keep pushing through.  I am going to keep working on it even if I have to run intervals for the forseeable future.  I actually ran a good part of the 5K, but I think I was scared to run the whole thing for fear I wouldn't finish.  I knew I could easily walk it because I have walked one before.

Anyone else having mental blocks?

Big congratulations to all who are progressing so well.  It is awesome to read the posts.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009

Catsrcul

Happy to hear that we are on the same day.Will "get to do" my W7 D1 today. I think I am going to buy a heart rate monitor before my run today.

Sounds like you had a good run on your w6 d3.I was happy to hear about your distance because the 1  1/2 mile was almost exactly what mine was.

Hope your next run is great. Thanks for your reply.

aprillilly
  • SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

Just back from W7D2 today.

will admidt- it was slightly less brutal than W7D1

ran a bit slower- did not clock myself at all-but I did run( by mental counting) 45 seconds further than the measured distance I ran W7D1.

My legs fee pretty good- I won't say that my legs feel like they are moving effortlessly-but clearly my legs are more than capapble of propelling me faster than my lungs can keep up with.

I am completely confident- that I could slow down a bit and run a 5K tommorrow without walking- but I want to continue building base before I enter an official race-probably new years eve- I hope to be running about 4 miles@ 3 times/week by then-so race pace for a 5k shouldn't be a problem.

A word about weight:

I am UP 4#'s since starting C25K !

for 2009-I am DOWN 16 #s- but in early april I was DOWN over 30#'s. My employment is very slow from
    thanksgiving until late march-so I try to focus on weight controll then

Here is what works for me:- I can eat ANYTHING I want- but I can't eat as much as I want or whenever I want.- I can't do the 5 small meals a day thing- doesn't work for me at all

what I do is- I can ONLY eat 3 meals a day

-everything per meal has to fit on one plate

I can eat anything I want

I MUST EAT 10 WHOLE FRUITS AND VEGGIES/DAY

want to eat pizza?- no problem- want to eat a piece of chocolate cake?- go ahead1- but I MUST eat the 10 fruits and veggies /day.

Believe me- when your day revolves around pounding down 10 WHOLE fruits and veggies each and every day- you don't have a lot of room to fit a second hamburger on your plate,or a second pork chop etc.

currently- I can run at about a 10 minute mile pace-and by new years I expect to be able to do 4 miles slightly slower than that AND  I weigh 246#s.

I have a very strnuous,active occupation-and by the end of 201I want to be down to about 200# even-and running 5 miles/3 times a week at 9 minutes/mile

so- it's time to start pounding down the produce!

see you all on thursday for the W7D3 update,

Best wishes all-Stephen

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    359. Nov 17, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to Tika417)

Stephen -- my weight hasn't changed much at all these past few weeks. But my clothes are changing, that's for sure. I think it's muscle; at least, that's what I'm telling myself.

W8D1 last night, and by W8D1, I mean we ran two miles in thirty minutes EXACTLY. We're now starting to focus on distance -- can we "beat" our previous time, in other words. I shaved off two minutes of my run, which I contribute to it not snowing on me as I ran last night.

Tomorrow, I want to go a bit further than two miles, not much, just a smidge.

Shins hurt again, though. Lame.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...