Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21314 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM by upwardbound RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Nov 6, 2009 1:41 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 2nd-Nov 8th

It is a beautiful sunny fall day here in Louisville so I just got out there and ran 30 minutes; good time for me too. I hope to run both Saturday and Sunday. I am doing better now that I have scaled back my runs to 30 min and one day a week do more. I think I will do the OHR. It might be the right thing for me.

Have a great weekend!

• LoriHepburn Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 1, 2007
    121. Nov 6, 2009 3:49 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello all.  So many people have met some great milestones this week!  I am so jealous.  On Tuesday, I found out that I have a stress fracture in my left shin, and I am so bummed.  My doctor told me that running is out for at least four weeks.  I was happy that he did not tell me that running was out of the questions.  I was scared that I would hear that.  I plan to start the program over when I get the ok from the dr, even though I am on my 6th week.  Keep up the good work guys!  I will continue reading this forum, so I can stay motivated.

WEEK 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Started September 27, 2009

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    122. Nov 6, 2009 6:33 PM (in response to LoriHepburn)

LoriHepburn,

Sorry to hear about your stress fracture.  What a bummer!

All,

I got out for a run tonight.  Only two miles at a 14mm pace.  My legs held out pretty well.  It felt good to be back out there again, especially since it was a pretty mild day (no two extra under-layers or vest today). Our Turkey Trot is a week from tomorrow.  We'll run again Monday and Wednesday, but that will be all before Saturday.  Keep running, all!

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• the365rundown Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 7, 2009
    123. Nov 7, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to running as a heavy person and so I'm encouraged to see all of you running. I'm personally looking for 5:00 am runners/fast walkers in the Beaverton/Hillsboro, OR area.  I started a new blog on October 10th in preparation for next years Marathon on October 10th, 2010.  I did the Helvetia Half this last June and even though I was proud of myself for accomplishing it, I was sad to see how difficult it was for me to finish.  Come check out my new blog  www.the365rundown.blogspot.com and be encouraged to do something every day.

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    124. Nov 9, 2009 7:38 AM (in response to the365rundown)

To use one of my favorite words...my 5k on Saturday was freaking brutal. I managed to finish W3D3...but I had to walk the rest of the way.

When I say it was all hills...it was literally all hills...I've never run a 5k without a single flat portion. Since I walked after finishing W3D3...I finished in a little over 54 minutes.

But...I'm done with W3...which means I'm 1/3 there!

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• SEMPER FI. Amateur 37 posts since
    Feb 1, 2008
    125. Nov 9, 2009 8:58 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Congratulation finishing your First 5k, When I took on running about 1year 8months, I couldn't even run a mile without having to stop not only that but  I weight 260lbs, now I'm 200lbs and love this running thing. I've done a few H/M, 2 mud runs running my second marathon in December and so on!! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT TOO!! Keep up the good work and good luck!!

Keep on running!!!

SEMPER FI!!

Camp Pendleton 10k mud run   10-18-08 1:15

Rose Bowl half                         12-13-08  2:10

Carlsbad half                            01-25-09  2:04

Race on the base 10k               02-21-09 54:43

LA MARATHON                        05-25-09 5:01

Long Beach half                       10-11-09 1:57

Camp Pend Mud run                 10-17-09 1:25

SANTA BARABARA MARATHON   12-06-09 04:35

Carlsbad half                            01-24-10 1:50

Rose bowl half                          02-07-10 2:00

LA MARATHON                       03-21-10  4:24

HARD CORPS MARATHON      04-17-10  4:17

• upwardbound Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    126. Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello to everyone. I have started running in Feb 09 but it has not been so easy for me with shin splints and all.  Reading everyone's accomplishments with the C25K program had me researching this program.   If I were to start the program going from what I am doing today I would be starting in week 2.

I was wondering if ya'll could give me some help-advice-guidance as I am going around and around with myself and feel I  could really use some perspective.

Let me start with this :  I heard the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting diff results. I kind of feel that is what I have been doing.  I think this program would give some structure and guidance and force me to take a step back and do it right.

1st:  I am signed up for a 5K on Thanksgiving.  So should I start week two of the program after Thanksgiving? 

Or should I start week two this week and just make it through the 5k but scale back and follow the program after the 5K?

2nd:  The main thing I am fighting with myself over.  My calfs have been my issue as they seem to be weak and oh man shin splints hurt.

Did everyone stick to doing 3 days?  I was wondering if it would be harmful to my progress to sneak in two days of spinning for 30 mins.

I am wondering if doing just 3 days with a day off between running would really help my legs that much or if spinning would be useful.

I have a problem with doing too much too fast.  I am trying to tell myself to trust in the process and going slow is the process so just trust it.

Spinning 2 days (working out an extra two days) is not part of this training/process so am I really trusting the process?  If I spin two days am I setting   

myself up for disappointment, pain, and frustrations?

I would really love anyone's help.  My frustrations are 10 years in the making and right now I am feeling confused and conflicted.  I am ready, willing, and wanting to make a life style change once and for all. 

So any help in reaching this healthy me goal would be soo greatly appreciated!!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...