Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14180 Views 143 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2009 6:52 PM by AFatManRunning Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Nov 18, 2009 6:05 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 16th-Nov 22nd

It is human nature to have a let down after having such a high natural. Think of how excited you were you completed your 5K. You were on a natural high when you hit a goal, maybe as high as you've ever been in quite a while. If you were like me, you were probably walking on air. A let down afterwards is expected. Try to come up with another long tem goal and go from there. Be proud that running 4 times in 2 weeks is still 4 times more than most people.

Sometimes a "funk" can be brought upon by overtraining and is actually depression or fatigue. Probably not in your case but it is something everyone should be aware of.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    91. Nov 18, 2009 7:28 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Well, Sunday I had my first run on C25K where I wasn't able to finish the run. It was W7D2 and I made it only about 13 minutes before I seriously thought I was going to be sick. I've been working in the clinic and am fighting off all the cooties that come with that environment. FIGHT THE COOTIES!!! Anyway, wasn't feeling well and ended up making it only half way before stopping and walking the rest of the way. I tried not to beat myself up too much, but you know how it is. I was a little scared that I wouldn't be able to do it on the next try, but last night we made a second attempt and made it with lung power to spare. Go team stubborn.

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    93. Nov 19, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I think I can say it would be much worse if I had not started running (exercising in general) and lost 20+ lbs.  I'm just at the point of being overwhelmed by life.  I want to run this evening, but that's 90 minutes (including getting ready and cleaning up afterwards) that I need for my studies.  Before C25K, I nearly failed a course because the stress got to be too much and I just couldn't function.  This time, it is the hardest I've had to study since the term I had a 21 credit semester back in my 20s, and then there's family life, a job that has me on-call and responsible for after-hours work, and a volunteer position.  Too much! Too much! Make it stop! I want to get off!

I did manage to get the first day of 100 Pushups done yesterday.  Sets were 6, 6, 4, 4, and max.  The day's max was 6.  Marie (Mrs. F) got her run in (One Hour Runner), but I didn't have time. I'm barely getting six hours of sleep a night (I need 7-8).  I'm thinking about burning a precious vacation day tomorrow to help me get caught up.

Way to go! to everyone who's still hard at it with C25K.  We're registered for our second race, an inaugural Turkey Tagalong in Howard Lake, Minnesota.  I doubt they're working with Anderson or will have any formal results.  The registration fee was only $7 so they could cover the cost of a t-shirt.

Andrew

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    94. Nov 19, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hi runners,

Sorry I haven't been on since last week; but when I'm working at my clients' offices, it's a little hard to read and post on the site.  I'm so far behind in reading, and there's so much going on lately with everyone on the program, it's hard to keep up!!  Congrats to everyone on their performances this week, especially to Mr. & Mrs. F on their 5K last week.  You must be an inspiration to your kids, given your dedication to running while being so busy with work, school, and your family.  Kudos!!

Welcome to the many newbies that are just starting the program.  Just remember that everyone on this board has been where you are now, and we will be here for any questions and inspriation you will need to get through the program.  Even if you need to vent, this is the place to go.  It's going to be tough, especially in the beginning, but stick with it, and you will surprise yourself on how far you can go.  I remember that W5D3 was actually a turning point for me in the program.  I really think that on that day, I realized that I was a runner.

Since it's been a week since I last posted, I've finished Week 8, and completed W9D1 this morning.  I have this pain in my left thigh, that has been bugging me when I run, and I actually had the pain before I started this morning, so I figured, this is the day where I won't be able to finish.  But tough!!  I have to run anyway; I have to stop saying that I can't and just at least try it.  So I sucked it up and went.  I ended up running for more than 40 minutes today, and 2.8 miles!!  The pace was the usual 15.4min, but my stamina is definitely improving; at least now I'm really starting to notice it.

I can't believe by next week, I'll be finished with the program.  It's makes me happy and sad at the same time. In order to avoid the post C25K blues which I've been reading about, I'm going to start the One Hour Runner program.  I think that's the best program to move into given that I'm still not quite up to 5K, and I still want to improve my stamina and endurance.  My husband and I also signed up for the New York State Parks Department winter run series, which is four races in January and February, so weather permitting, I will continue to run, and make goals for myself.  I'm actually looking forward to it.

Happy Thursday Everyone!!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    95. Nov 19, 2009 10:03 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew: Something's gotta GIVE, Dude!  It sounds like you have already made the choice that it is your run. I encourage you to think of all of the things you listed as choices, though. Studying, fathering, volunteering, earning, exercising, eating, sleeping. Of these the absolute most basic for your health are the final three.  You have inspired many of us with your story of considerable health consequences of an inactive lifestyle. Don't let that impetus for your secret plan get lost among the other responsibilities. You DO have more on your plate than I've seen most people try to manage. Just reconsider dropping the very thing that has led you to be so proud lately.

Without your health, what else is there?

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• JZTAGRL Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    96. Nov 19, 2009 2:09 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I too was in a funk, maybe it's going around?!  Anyway, I trained (per my own schedule-before I found this website) for my first 10K and completed it on October 17th.  I got sick a few days after the race and was sick for 3 weeks after, so needless to say I didn't run.  After I started to feel better I was out of my routine and in that funk.  I just started running again this week.  I feel like after reading all these posts that I'm doing something wrong.  I just hop on the treadmill or go outside and run.  I do what I feel my body is capable of at the time.  I'm not sure that I'm really pushing myself to exceed and progress.  I think I need to do what everyone else on here seems to do and take up a training program.  Maybe it's my normal mentality of being lazy (which is what made me overweight) but it just seems difficult to figure out and stay on a disciplined training schedule.  I do like the advice of choosing another race and registering for it.  It will motivate me to stick to it and give me something to look forward to...and train for.

• upwardbound Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    97. Nov 19, 2009 3:15 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello to everyone,

I love reading all of your post!!!

Wetsneakers congrats on your accomplishment.  I am proud that you went out and tried to run and did not let the fact you could not finish stop you from going at it again.  I bet that accomplishment felt great and was very motivating.

Andrew it does sound like something needs to give.  Without your health all those other things will not be able to happen.  I hope you find a way to delegate something or let it go completely so you can get back to running.  I wish some peace of mind for you.  Remember superman was a fictional character, us humans need rest and activity and some fun too.  You sound like such a smart amazing person so I am sure will figure something out soon. 

GoRunIrish -- I am sorry you are finding yourself in a funk.  It seems to be a reality when you finish the C25K program.  Sounds like starting a new program will give the structure you like and add some excitement back for you.   Reading your post reminded me of something that I have been repeating to myself a lot.  In fact I think it might be helpful to everyone so here it is.

Sufferings produces perseverance - Perseverance producers character - Character produces hope - Hope never disappoints us.

When things seem bad, frustrating and we are in our funks try to remember it is not all for nothing.  Even in the deepest of our funks try to claw your way out, find a path and a way to persevere and through that perseverance we gain strength ...NEVER lose hope!!!

I hope everyone has a terrific evening!!!  

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    98. Nov 19, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

You gave me permission to succeed this week by running at a slower pace -- permission I didn't realize I needed to give myself!

I know lots of people walk at 4 mph, and there is some mystique to that sub-15-minute mile for me. But tonight, all it took was TWO TENTHS of a mile slower and WHAMMO: I made it through all the runs!! Week 4 runs are 3, 5, 3, and 5. I did all four of them at 3.8 mph ....until the final two minutes of the last run, when I increased to 3.9 and 4.0!

My heart rate did zoom up, though not nearly into the stratospheric conditions of before.

And I was back below 80% in under a minute.

And I smiled during every run.

And I can do this!!!!

Signed,

--grateful Penguin

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• GodzGr82me Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 31, 2009
    99. Nov 19, 2009 4:32 PM (in response to JZTAGRL)

I think I am in a similar boat to JZTAGRL.  I too started running without a program. My trainer is now giving me guidance, but toning is my main focus when I am with her.  I did my first 5K in September and ran off and on throughout it.  My next one is in a few weeks and my trainer will be doing it with me at my pace.  I am curious to what those of you who are run/walking are doing when in a race.  Do you run so many minutes, then walk so many? Any feedback would be appreciated.

1st 5K in 15 yrs: 9/09, ran 1/2, walked 1/2 -- 49:05

2nd 5K: 12/6/09, cold weather and sick , but finished! -- 51:?

3rd 5K: 3/28/10, RAN THE WHOLE THING!! -- 40:35

Next 5K: 4/24/10

As of March 2010: 45 lbs lost

If you want something you have never had before, you have to do something you have never done before!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    100. Nov 19, 2009 6:18 PM (in response to GodzGr82me)

Awesome thread!   You all are awesome people!    I have to chime in about depression and let down.  I know some things about depression.   It really IS true that exercise does release those endorphins in our system that bring our mood levels up.  Studies have shown that exercising 3 plus times a week can have the same result as some low level anti depressants.   There are days when I feel that depression coming on and those are the days I tell my self I REALLY need to get my workout in.   As much as I don't want to get out that door,   I always feel better after I run.  (or hike or tennis or whatever exercise it is)    It does help me to look at it as taking my medication.. when life is stressed I know the last place I can skimp is my exercise.   My older sister recently died and other things that have me kind of down..   But exercise is a positive in my life.   I honestly look at it as taking my medicine right now.   It does so much good for me.  My physical health, my mental health,  my weight loss efforts and more.

DANCE  RUN WALK PENGUIN who put it so well to Andrew.   Something does have to give,  but not this.  Exercise is not optional,  LOL!   Candy bars are!

Andrew.. is there any way you can just go out your door and run in your neighborhood?  While not ideal that could maybe cut one half hour off the time it takes.   You've worked so hard and it doesn't take long for conditioning levels to drop back down.  They say one half hour is all it takes for a workout to do its job.  It's not important for you to increase on that right now.  Just try and schedule in 3   1/2 hour runs a week.  That said there are times you WILL  have to skip your running workouts and the world will still turn!!   Eat extra carefully and do other things well for your health.    I'm hoping you will have a semester break coming up soon to give you somewhat of a break.  You and Mrs F (Marie) are loved on this thread!!   We care!!

I am in week 8 of C25k.. and I have my first 5k Thanksgiving day.  I understand the let down thing though already.  Graduating from intervals to just steady time running hits home that this is WORK and something we get to go out and work thru time after time.  It was kind of fun doing the intervals because each week was a new challenge.  Now I'm at the point where I'm running 3 miles straight and I know I need to spend a few weeks getting my body used to this base.   I am thrilled that I've accomplished this.  It has been and continues to be hard work..but the pay offs are great!!  

Thank you for all being so open about your struggles.   It is great to hear all the different perspectives on all of this!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• MrsFatmanrunning Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    101. Nov 19, 2009 6:53 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Jess -- We do run our local trail, its five minutes from our house by car. Part of the problem is it takes 30 minutes to get his knee and shin wrapped, then 10 minutes of warm up and cool down walks plus the 30 minute run. It starts adding up quickly.  One thing we hope to get soon is a treadmill, that might ease a bit of time pressure.

Keep encouraging him -- he needs that! Im hoping that he will make it out for Saturdays run -- as we will have more time that day.

I did make it out for a run tonite -- 2.7 miles in 32 minutes. I had a good run. My legs felt good so I pushed myself tonite. Im a bit sore muscle wise now but overall feel good.

Mrs. F

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    102. Nov 19, 2009 6:57 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I did it!  I am back on the C25K path.  I did W1D1 tonight.  I tried to do it on Monday, but must have been going to fast and/or the insoles I put in my shoes messed me up.  I was really disappointed because in spite of prepping for almost a month by walking, my shins were screaming and my achilles was protesting very loudly.  I was afraid that I was going to have to lose weight before I could run instead of being able to run in order to lose weight.  I took the insoles out and tried again tonight.  I also slowed down a bit and it worked!  I am so excited!  I run again on Saturday.  Next week should be interesting because I will have to run outdoors.  I am hoping for nice weather because I don't have a lot of clothes for running outdoors.

In case I don't make it back before then,

Good luck to everyone running a turkey trot.

Happy Thanksgiving.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    103. Nov 19, 2009 7:06 PM (in response to GodzGr82me)

I did what you did too.  At the end of August (before C25K) I did a 5K, where I only jogged about 1/3 of the race. I jogged when I could, and when I couldn't do it anymore, or on a hill, I walked. Finished far behind the last other runner, in 62:42.  My 2nd 5K (C25K wk5), I ran a lot further & only walked 1-2 mins at a time, for a total of ~10 mins (51:48).  Next Sat, 2 wks post-C25K, I will run the whole 5K, in under 49 min (I hope).

Andrew- Will your school stress go down next semester, or will you have to endure this schedule next year too? Others are right though. For your sanity, you need to have running as an outlet to relieve your stress. Maybe a few easy runs a week, starting near your home ??? We have all this advice, but I guess only you will know what will fit in this holiday season. My best wishes too you, and good luck with all your grad papers and tests.

I did day 2 of the pushups/situps today.  I have no upper body strength & my gut needs some serious abs work. On off days & any time its convenient, I started doing wall pushups, to do more work on those arms.  Plus I'm going to hit the abs machine at the gym whenever I can.

Did you notice that we all got into this "funk" right after the time change?  The days are getting shorter & usuable warm daylight is next to nothing.  Maybe that's one reason we are/were bummed out.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• GodzGr82me Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 31, 2009
    104. Nov 19, 2009 7:14 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Thank you, Jasmine, for the feedback! I am trying to figure out if I should have a strategy, or just see how far I can go before my body screams to walk! The second is what I did last time. I live in the mountains, so I didn't even attempt to run up the larger hills, but used the downhills.  My next 5K is in a slightly flatter area thankfully!

1st 5K in 15 yrs: 9/09, ran 1/2, walked 1/2 -- 49:05

2nd 5K: 12/6/09, cold weather and sick , but finished! -- 51:?

3rd 5K: 3/28/10, RAN THE WHOLE THING!! -- 40:35

Next 5K: 4/24/10

As of March 2010: 45 lbs lost

If you want something you have never had before, you have to do something you have never done before!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...