Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5398 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2010 12:33 AM by dstrokes11
TCameli Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2009 9:36 AM

Just starting

I'm looking at getting into cycling to help get myself into shape. I am on a limited budget around and don't know where to begin. When I do searches for road bikes on the internet I find bikes for about $700 or more. I would love to get one of those bikes but its out of my current budget. I don't want to sit on my tail and wait til I can afford something better but I don't want to buy something that won't be servicable after a year. Does anyone have any suggestions of a bike for begginers who plans on upgrading in a year or two?

Life is short. Live hard

Check out my blog C25K to wherever my training takes me.

• JesseA2010 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    1. Nov 21, 2009 8:06 PM (in response to TCameli)
    Re: Just starting

First, what is your budget?  Can't really give suggestions if we don't know what you can afford to spend.

I've been shopping around for a few months and have ridden everything out there in my price range ($1000).  Right now I am still riding a Jamis mountain bike I got a little over a year ago for like $250.  Then I put road slicks on it and that really helps on the road.

I can tell you that Performance Bikes will be having a great great sale the weekend after Thanksgiving...like 20% off!!!

Depending on your budget, I'd be happy to tell you the best stuff I've found and have considered.

• JesseA2010 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    3. Nov 21, 2009 10:15 PM (in response to TCameli)

I would say for that price the best bet I've found is on bikesdirect.com.  Here in Dallas we have a Cycle Spectrum that is owned by Bikes Direct so I could actually see and ride a few of the bikes they offer.  Pretty much hands down they sell bikes with groupos that no one can touch.  You can find a few entry level bikes in your price range no problem there.  Since you're new to the sport, you can always take it to a local bike shop and have them complete the assembly and tune up the bike for pretty cheap and you'll be on your way.

Then just ride, ride, ride.  I've been riding on and off for a couple years but about 4 months ago decided to do it more consistently and now I'm hooked.  Joined a local bike club and love riding with all kinds of different people in different places.  It's a great way to get in shape and meet people and have fun.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help with anything.

• hikenbike Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2008
    4. Nov 29, 2009 9:06 AM (in response to TCameli)

Check out pawn shops.....you'll be surprised at what you can find for little $$

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 21, 2010 8:27 PM (in response to hikenbike)

If flat where you are consider a single speed bike.  Less components to go wrong and it will train you to pedal.

EJ

• dstrokes11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    6. Jul 26, 2010 12:33 AM (in response to TCameli)

the cheapest new bikes out there are on bikesdirect.com. the problem is that if you buy a less expensive bike it becomes harder to upgrade. for example if you buy a bike with sora components the shifters are a different mechanism that the upper modles so they are not compatible. i would join a gym and take spin classes to get in shape and try to get a bike from them when you have closer to 700-1000 to spend if you are ever thinking of doing any racing or competitive rides

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points