Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1657 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2009 5:42 AM by Ranji RSS
Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
Aug 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2009 5:46 PM

Heart Rate

I started C25K in late July and just finished Week 7. Have been doing really well and feel great. I have a Garmin heart rate monitor and have been tracking my heart rate, etc. My husband is worried because my heart rate for my 25 minute run averaged in the 170s and the highest was 179.  I felt great while running and after. It has always been high but now that I am running 25 min straight it is gotten a little higher.  I am almost 49 years old and am about 100 pounds overweight but in good health besides the weight. I have lost 30 pounds so far.

Should I be concerned? and if so, what can I do? I am already running slow - 16.4 minutes a mile.

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Sep 3, 2009 11:09 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Heart Rate

Congratulations on the weight loss.  That will help things a lot.

Have you checked with your doctor??  If not, I would start there.  With that kind of weight issue, you may be putting a lot of strain on your heart. If it were me, I would make an appointment with my dr.  I think your hubby has a ligitamate concern.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    3. Sep 4, 2009 8:07 AM (in response to Donna914)

Just remember, speed is not the goal.  HEALTH is the goal.  Slow, fast, it doesn't matter if you are not healty.  I have two friends who are cancer survivors.  Ask them if they would rather have health or speed.  If you have to run slow, then run slow.  If you have to walk, then walk.  At least you are off of the couch, right?

I am glad that you are checking with your doctor.  There may be nothing wrong, but like I said (at least I think I did) with weight issues come greater health risks.  Your doctor should be able to determine if there is something wrong with your heart rate.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Ranji Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    4. Nov 17, 2009 4:27 AM (in response to Donna914)

In response to Donna 914 and The Devoted Runner regarding Heat Rate

This is week 8 for me , but I am still struggling with a 2 min run folllowed by a 2 min walk. I manage to do 5 kms in this fashion, but have made very little progress compared to many others doing c25k!

I am 59 years of age, and the recommnded MAX HR is 160 beats per minute.

When Iirst started I could bearly run for 30 seconds , and my HR would skyrocket to 160 .

Now when I do 2 mins of running my HR goes to 167 Beats per minute. But I can run for 2 mins non stop!!!!

I run 5 days a week excluding the weekends.

Is this okay? Will I be able to run longer and really complete my 5 K program ? Will by HR drop down or wll I have to continue running at HR in the 160 Plus range ?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Ranji

• tatiper Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 21, 2009
    6. Nov 22, 2009 5:15 AM (in response to Ranji)

Hi there, Ranji,

I am not a doctor, so the first thing I would tell you is to consult yours as soon as possible. As far as your concern, I think you may be running too often. Even though you take walking breaks, you shouldn't be running every day of the week. Beginners need to have time off between their runs so their bodies can recover. Your muscles cannot repair the damage caused by running unless you give them a rest. Try reading some more about the importance of rest and follow the c25k program's schedule. You should be running three days a week, not back to back. During two of your non-running days you could be swimming, biking, or doing anything else you enjoy that will not be high impact.

Good luck!

1st Annual 1st Run 5K (01/01/2010): 31:34

Beverly Reindeer Run 5K (12/05/2009): 31:52

Feaster Five 5K (11/26/2009): 34:53

C25K graduation run 11/11/2009

• Ranji Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 27, 2009
    7. Nov 22, 2009 5:42 AM (in response to tatiper)

Hi Tatiper,

Thank you very much for yor suggestions. Much appreciated!

The problem is that now that I have made it a habit to go to bed early and wake up at 5.30 AM, the tendency is to get ready and go out for a run!

IThere is a nice jogging park just half a kilometer from my house. I see the same people jogging there everyday.

There are three groups practising yoga. It is fun being there .

I hink you are right!  I will follow your advise for 3 to 4 weeks and track my progress.

Thanks once again.

Ranji

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points