Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11200 Views 51 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2009 1:29 PM by azcat88 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • KellyinNJ Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 31, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 20, 2009 9:15 AM (in response to Mrun262)
    Re: Where do you put your keys when you run

Mrun262...so where do you normally run?? My audi is in the shop and I need a car right now...lol

7/18/09 - Packanack Lake 5K - 37:53

9/26/09 - Kinnelon Cares 5K - 32:58

11/7/09 - Beaverbrook 5K - 30:00

11/26/09 - Ashenfelter 8K Classic - 50:35

• DadtoTwins Pro 55 posts since
    Mar 17, 2009
    31. Nov 20, 2009 9:18 AM (in response to Mrun262)

Mrun262, that's fine if you want to do that, and I agree about not worrying about the little things in life, but why take un-necessary risk when it is SO easy to just take a key with you. Some people on here have some great ideas.

PR's

Run the Quay 5k, 6/4/11, 24:34

Tobacco Road Half Marathon 3/20/2011, 1:52:19

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    32. Nov 20, 2009 9:37 AM (in response to Tom Slot)

I wear mine on a lanyard around my neck.

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    33. Nov 20, 2009 8:29 PM (in response to Tom Slot)

What a great question.  I was at a big race in Sept and noticed a bunch of people hide them under trash cans, buried them under woodchips near an office building entrance, put them on their tires and I thought 1) what a good idea.  2) I wish I was a car theft because I could make a killing right now.   However I couldn't leave my key somewhere, I'd be too worried. (might make me run faster though)  I tried the shoe thing, the hand thing, the bra thing but I am most comfortable when I slip in the sleeve I use for my I-Pod.

• CSNY420 Amateur 13 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    34. Nov 22, 2009 9:51 AM (in response to Urbster)

I bought a pouch with a strong clip and clip it to the inside of my pants/shorts.  It can hold a cell phone too.  If you clip it to your pants at the small of your back, you won't even feel it.

Very similar to this:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/AMP001/

=========================================

420csny.blogspot.com 

Happy Running!

• lyndanelson254 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    35. Nov 22, 2009 11:17 AM (in response to Tom Slot)

I am usually out with my dog.  I clip my key ring onto the leash hook that clips onto her collar.  She carries it for me.  A dog is great run/walk motivation too.

• Marc03820 Amateur 35 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    36. Nov 23, 2009 5:38 AM (in response to KellyinNJ)

I drive a VW (hence i am jelous of your Audi)  My key- probably like yours is a bit bulky to tie to a shoe.

I use a trickthat  i learned when i used to Ice Climb- you did not want to take you keys with you- if you lost it it coudl be a BAD mistake- much safer to leave it at the car...I remove the rest of my keys and leave them in the car-  I then lock my car and put my key on the top of one of the tires towards the back so it is hidden by the wheel well.  The Key to this is that you have to make sure noone sees you do this- or at least any potential thievs.   It has always worked well for me.

• actisch Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    37. Nov 24, 2009 6:20 AM (in response to Tom Slot)

Tie the one key that unlocks the door in the draw string of your running shorts.  Double or triple tie and it doesn't come out.  Don't even feel it but if you are insecure you can touch it without looking as you run.  It will still be there until you untie it .  I've been doing this for years without a problem.

• lwilsonesq Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    38. Nov 24, 2009 4:19 PM (in response to pinkerbell)

I do the same thing as Pinkerbel in the warmer weather - I find that carrying the keys in my hands lets me warn dog walkers that I am coming up on them (I run at 5 AM and the alarm clocks must all ring between 5:30 and 6 because that's when the dogs come out).  However, now that it is getting cold enough that I frequently have to wear gloves I prefer to keep them in the pocket of my shorts (I wear shorts down into the mid-20s - I'm dressing for mile 8, not 1!).  I hate that jingling sound so I have taken to buying what I think are soccer shorts that have a ziped pocket in the back, just below the waist band.  Keeps them quiet and I forget all about them until I need them at the end of the run.  As for the dog walkers, they're awake and paying attention in the cold weather so I never seem to have to warn them!

• Swaph Amateur 22 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    39. Nov 24, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to lwilsonesq)

I bought this great armband that holds my iPod and has a small zipper section that is just wide enough for a driver's license.  I can fit a drivers license and an ATM card (or my husband's license) and my house key.  My car key would fit in there too if I needed.  The only problem with this is remembering to either throw the armband in my purse or take my ID out and put it back in my wallet.  Otherwise, you find yourself driving around without your license (I am guilty of this today).  I'm going to be buying a RoadID for myself and hubby for Christmas so we don't have to worry about this any more. =o)

Pain is temporary, PRIDE is forever.

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    40. Nov 24, 2009 5:13 PM (in response to dfitz*)

Nike thermal running gloves in the winter. They have a place for keys. They'er great!

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

• John Parke Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    41. Nov 28, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to Tom Slot)

Great Question. I have a keypad and keep my keys inside the car locked. I do this because...one very cold windy night i was running at the Huron Meadows Metropark and got to my GMC and ...yes my keys were locked inside! That's it ..i'm going to freeze to death i thought! But luckily there was a pay phone at the main building..which was locked with no one around..the pay phone was outside and i was able to call the 800# for OnStar, who unlocked my doors! Viola!! I told myself then my next vehicle will have a key pad...regardless the make!! Now i see why my father always wanted the keypad!!

• ModernMaven Pro 135 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    42. Nov 28, 2009 11:50 AM (in response to KellyinNJ)

KKnapp13 wrote:

I have an Amphipod that I purcahsed from RoadRunner Sports.  It fits only my key, and it hooks under the shoe laces and velcros shut on the bottom.  I thought I would feel it, but I don't even know its there.  It just looks like I have a growth on my sneaker, and it can not fall off unless your laces come undone and fall off.  and thats no going to happen....

I have the same one.  I wish it was smaller though.  I guess it used to be but Amphipod recently upsized them to fit the fatter larger key fobs.  I usually just carry my valet key or just a house key-  but it does the job!

COUCH TO 5K GRADUATE- JULY 2009

08/15/2009-  Patrick Joyce Scholarship Run 5K (Lakewood, OH)  30:00

08/29/2009- Outrun Ovarian Cancer OROC 5K (Cleveland, OH)    28:50

09/12/2009- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland, OH) 30:08

10/17/2009- Mid Town Classic 5K (Cleveland)  30:15

05/02/2010- Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase 5K 27:45

09/11/2010- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland) 28:50

10/10/2010- Towpath Half Marathon (Cleveland) 2:16:28

10/23/2010- Army Ten Miler (DC) 1:42:12

03/12/2011- St Malachi 5 Miler  45:50

04/23/2011- Run for Cover 10K (Dallas, TX) 58:18

04/23/2011- Cleveland 10 Miler 1:34

05/15/2011- Cleveland Rite Aid Half Marathon 2:05

07/05/2011- Warrior Dash Ohio 36:40

08/06/2011- Gazebo Gallop 5k 26:20 PR!!

08/14/2011- Run Jane Run 10K 57:40 PR!!

08/20/2011- OROC 5K 26:15 PR!!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    43. Nov 28, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to Tom Slot)

I use a diaper pin and pin my one key to either my sport bra or the waist band of my shorts

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• way2goagain Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 3, 2008
    44. Nov 29, 2009 1:25 PM (in response to Tom Slot)

As the previous poster mentioned, I also have an Amphipod which I clip to the waistband of my pants. I think it was about 14.00 at Runner's World Stores. What's cool about it is that it clips to your belt but the actual pocket fits on the inside of your pants/skirt etc. You dont even know its there. The one I have fits my keys and my Ipod, and its made out of neophrene so it keeps the keys and the ipod dry.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...