Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2223 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 24, 2009 2:20 PM by tamp4x
lookinahead Amateur 36 posts since
Aug 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 25, 2009 7:02 AM

better of two evils??

I have been reading alot about almond butter lately.  I am a 38 yr old 5'10" 166 pounds who cannot seem to loose a pound lately.  I am just beginning (4 weeks ago) to run, am on w4d2 of the couch to 5k program.  I am wondering if a T of almond butter would be better for me on 1/2 wheat english muffin over peanut butter.  I normally wouldn't touch either due to fat content - but reading seems like I am not putting enough of this in my diet. 

really wishing the twitching the nose thing and having a great plan out there for nutrition to help an aging mom of 2, get fit, lose about 20 pounds would work

• tamp4x Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 24, 2009 2:20 PM (in response to lookinahead)
    Re: better of two evils??

almond butter has a higher ratio of monounsaturated fats, fat the help raise good cholestorol, thus allow more protein synthesis for faster recovery.

Also, the majority of peanut butters out there use hydrogenated oils if they are not labeled as natural peanut butter, these oils lower HDL cholesterol and also lead to fat gain, plus the US diet is overloaded with polyunsaturated fats, which does lead to its own problems itself.  But if you do have a balanced diet, it would come down to taste, and keeping in NATURAL.

Also your body weight is of the norm, you probably have a higher ration of fat to muscle so I would focus on gaining some muscle and let the mirror decide, not scale.... this hsould be done by lowering or avoiding taking fat and carbs at the sametime, as carbs are burned first and fat later... protein last.  So a protein + carb or protein + fat     would be the better bet.   (unless its a high fiber carb food or veggie ... almond butter + celery sticks, etc)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points