Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6819 Views 73 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2009 9:34 AM by Turtle Who Runs RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Nov 26, 2009 8:20 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)
    Re: 200lbs+ C25K Nov. 23-29

Finished my first 5K a few hours ago & my C25K graduation run! YAY!! I am so ecstatic!! It was a very laid back race ( I am guessing, It is my first so I don't have much experience) and we didn't have numbers, so I am guessing I won't know what we placed. We did finish it in 45 min 24 sec, which I was more than happy with. I know we did not finish last but there were quite a few walkers & I don't know if they were the only ones behind us or if there were some actual runners. I was just so happy that we ran the whole thing. There were a few people cheering us on as we crossed the finish line & that was a wonderful feeling!There were 2 hills as I feared. One was a decent size one at the very beginning and the other a smaller one towards the end. It is funny as soon as we started the race, I was already feeling it & doubting whether I would be able to run the whole thing but I got my groove going at about 1.5 miles into it. That is usually how it works for me.  Unfortunately since we did it in a town 30 miles a way we did not have any supporters so we have no pictures of us during the race but we have one of us after, that I will try to post later( it was taken with my phone). We also made our"From No Way To 5K" t-shirts & got quite a few looks & comments on those. All good of course. My husband stayed with us the whole time. Being that he was in the Army for 8 years he could have shot a head of us & finished so much faster than us but he wasn't there for that. He was simply there to encourage me & support me. He is so wonderful! I hope everyone else who raced had a wonderful Turkey Trot, or whatever they may be called,and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    46. Nov 26, 2009 8:37 AM (in response to amandalynn636)

Congrats on the graduation and 1st race Amanda. That is wonderful and sounds like a nice, laid back race as well.

Participated in a Turkey Trot today, no offficial time yet (unofficial per my watch and finish line clock 40:17) but really no idea. It was the toughest 5K I've participated in....SOOOOOOO MANY HILLS! Only time I stopped running though was to tie my shoe. So we shall see.

Good luck and happiness to all who may be running today!

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    47. Nov 26, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Just did Week 5 Day 2 and I feel FABULOUS!!!!! I could easily have done the 20-minute today, I think.

I'm away visiting family, so my sister-in-law took me to the town greenway. She walked the dogs while I ran/walked, and we separated at the beginning to make it easier for me to pace myself instead of trying to keep up with each other. The first 8-minute run I was going a bit fast, but I consciously slowed down and started feeling really good after about 5 minutes. At 8 minutes I didn't want it to end.

Then during the walk break, I was thinking it was 3 minutes. Ullrey announces that Day 3 is halfway finished, so I'm thinking just "one more minute" until I start again; good, I'm ready" ... and then it kept going and going and going .... Finally I got started on the second 8-minute run, and during this one I didn't have to consciously consider my pace at all. I just did it. Final minute comes around, and I SPED UP!

I'd seen my SIL on the path across the greenway from me, so at the end of the podcast I sat down to wait for her. Only she took a different fork, and suddenly I had to backtrack to get to where she was. Found myself running again! 2 or 3 minutes more, plus some brisk walking.

I tell you I was feeling the biggest victory today! 

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    48. Nov 26, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• lovin2run Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    49. Nov 26, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Finished my first Thanksgiving Run ever. It was a 5 miler I finished in 1 hour and 13 seconds, I was hoping for under and hour but I'm ok with that. Since my last 5 miler I did in June, I did in 1 hour 20 minutes with walking and running, this was all running. Very happy with that.

Hope everyone is having a very Happy Thanksgiving..

Next Run for me is December 12th a Sandy Clause 5 k on the beach..The one advantage of living in Florida at this time of year..

june 1999.jpgBeach 2 pics sept 2009.JPG

June 1999 (415 pounds)                             Septmber 2009 (215 pounds)

I am not who I was 10 years ago but I feel better than I did just 2 years ago...

My journey to a better me began on March of 2008 when I cared enough to change me for the better..

Running has become a way for me to express my freedom in the new me.

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    50. Nov 26, 2009 2:23 PM (in response to amandalynn636)

Amanda- Da Dah! Congratulations on Graduation! It sounds like you had a great race!  I hope that I do almost as good as you did for my 5K race on Saturday.  Even then, I'll still be near the end of the pack, but not 15 mins back. Sounds like you have a very supportive husband.  Mine doesn't even like the "E" word. LOL

DanceWalk- You are in the grooove gal! You are definitely in the spirit.  Wait till there are no more walk breaks and you can just keep on truckin'.

lovin2run- I did my first 5 mi training run, on a fabulous trail in a local park that I just "discovered".  It meanders alongside the Tennessee River.  I think I will be using it for all of my long runs.  Since I have a race on Saturday, I did it REAL SLOW and it took forever, longer than even your first 5 mi.

I look forward to hearing all of the Turkey Trot results.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

Nov 13, 2009
    51. Nov 27, 2009 4:45 AM (in response to amandalynn636)

Good Job!!!!

Did they have you turn in any cards at the end? If they did then that would be where you will get your results but if they didn't then it was just for fun.

I know on my first 5 k if I came in after the timer went down it was really just me and my stop watch no other person knowing the time.

Good Job and can't wait to hear about your next run...

I'll be honest Races become addicting...Which to be honest I'm really ok with that..

Loving2Run

I am not who I was 10 years ago but I feel better than I did just 2 years ago...

My journey to a better me began on March of 2008 when I cared enough to change me for the better..

Nov 13, 2009
    52. Nov 27, 2009 4:51 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine 1972 thats great that you found a 5 mile trail you like and are going to work on it. I am personally amazed at how I've done and that I haven't given up even when a couple of people I know that are marathoners told me to  quit running when I was still at a 15 mm, Now that I think I've proven to myself that I can run a steady 12mm I want to go stick my tongue out at them. But I won't I just realized I have to keep trying. The concern apparently for my marathoner friends is that if you run too slowly you can cause injury. But I started running at 230 pounds now proudly can say I'm 205 pounds, weight, training, the food I eat all of it plays a part on how much better I get. So I can't wait to hear your successes as you continue to run..5 Miles regardless of time is nothing to sneeze at.

My longest run currently is 6.5 but I'm training for a half so pretty soon I'll be writing about my longer runs...I have a 12 mile run right before the half and I am already freaking out about that one. But I know that it will be fine as long as I keep training and keep doing everything else right.

After already losing over 200 pounds from my heaviest of 415 pounds running seems to be a breeze somedays...

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    53. Nov 27, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to lovin2run)

Lovin, that's quite an accomplishment. Really hard to believe someone would say you might as well stop running if you're slow. I cannot fathom the reasoning.

I went ahead and did Week 5, Day 3 today! Yes, I know that's two days in a row, but I had better circumstances for doing it today than I would if I waited until tomorrow. I wasn't sore or hurting after yesterday's workout. And I was a 4-5 day a week exerciser before I started this program, so I figured I'd be fine.

The 20 minutes went by great, and I felt good during the run. Immediately afterwards I felt my blood sugar crashing (I have a slight tendency toward hypoglycemia anyway). I was with my sister-in-law on the path back to the car, and we had a good 10-minute walk ahead of us. I'm glad I had company when I felt that weak. I guess yesterday I must have fueled up better than today. I wobbled inside and got a bagel once I got back here to her house. I'll see about making sure I have more substantial fuel in me before going out next time.

Regardless, I DID IT. W5D3 in the can! My first continuous 20-minute run EVER!

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    54. Nov 27, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving yesterday and congrats to your achievements: Amandalynn graduating the C25K, DWRPenguin on finishing W5D3-it's a great feeling when you get that day down!, and Lovin' for running a 5 miler-why would people tell you to quit running if you're too slow.  If that's the case, I'd be the C in C25K, instead of the 5K.  And to Jasmine for finding what sounds to be such a beautiful trail to run-I'm sure that you add to your motivation to run.  Yesterday I had a Turlte (yeah, it's really turkey, but so what) Trot, and for the first time, RAN THE WHOLE 3.125 MILES!!!!!  I came in at 45:57, which is my best to date, and was my secret goal to finish under 46min. There were almost 800 people that came out and ran the 5K, and that didn't include people in the 1.5 mile walk and the Kids Fun Run.  It was a lot of fun, even though I came in 762/770 runners.  I'm still working on my stamina, but I really want to increase my speed, even a little, so if anyone has any suggestions to do that, please feel free to share

My next race is a prediction run on 12/5, which I've never done before, so I'm curious how this works.  Should be interesting.  Unfortunately, I'm seeing very few runs on Long Island in the next few weeks, so I'm concerned that I'll slow my running down (the runs motivate me to keep training) for the winter. I really wanted to do one more before the end of the year, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for something.

Everyone have a good day!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    55. Nov 27, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

HOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL TURKEY DAY!! WE ALL DESERVED THAT EXTRA SLICE ...OR TWO OF PIE!!

First of all, a big THANKS for the congrats and well wishes... we broke the news to his family yesterday... YIKES!! I'll try not to turn this thread into a bridal column, but so many of you have had such great advice... thanks alot!!

Bulgingbride - Yup..we sure are in the same boat! How much time do you have??

Okay - time to confess... I did my turkey trot yesterday... didn't do so hot but it felt great!! There were so many darn people!! Some in costume, some running with there little rat dogs that I almost tripped over... over 10,000 participants... we were like sardines man!!! But what fun, and a great cause!! My time was not nearly as good, but with that said I have a couple of gripes:

* If you are a walker, great... but get your butt to the back of the start line.

* If you are running with fido, great...but it better be a big frickin dog or its gonna be a speed bump.

* If you are running with your little ones, great... but if you have a stroller the size of a ford focus... get to the back of the start line with the rat dogs and walkers, please.

Like I said - great cause, lotsa fun. But not the race to run if you're trying to beat a time. There were so many of us running on a single lane that when we came to a turn in the road we all came to a dead stop! In fact, the herd didnt even thin out until 1.3 miles later!!

BTW, I noticed on my 5k runs that my right foot starts to fall asleep into mile 2... very annoying. Like I dont have enough problems running!! This doesnt happen anywhere else but the asphalt. Its not that my shoes are too tight,and its only my right foot... HELP!!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    56. Nov 27, 2009 5:34 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)
    Week 8 and Pants

Just came in from finishing W8D3 and a 2.2 mbeile run. In the beginning I was kinda thinking I was going to be ambitious and extend the run, but by the 25th or so minute, stopping sounded like a much better idea.

In other news, my weight has been pretty constant and a bit frustrating, but this morning I put on the smallest pants I own, the ones that haven't fit me in 5 years. They weren't tight at all. Go me.

Nov 13, 2009
    57. Nov 27, 2009 7:02 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

@ Turtlewhoruns- the couple of people that told me that thought that if I was only running a 15/16 mm that I would be better off walking. I didn't take their advice I really wanted to say so did you just start out at a 7 mm pace or do you just crush the dreams of those who can't.  I didn't give up I pushed my way through and now I can happily say I am at a 12mm steady pace and honestly if I can keep that pace to run a half marathon in March I will be thrilled to pieces.

Nov 13, 2009
    58. Nov 27, 2009 7:07 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

@ GoRunIrish-I did my first running races over the summer more as a walk/runner and I learned the etiquette of running there, I learned that if you didn't complete the whole thing you don't run through the shoot because it messes it up for those that did, If you are slow you run in the back of the pack, but on one of my race sites that tell me of future races they actually have an etiquette guideline that I think every newbie and frequent flyer should read. After reading it when I was at my Turkey Trot I realized how important those rules are.

one rule was if you drop something at the start of the race move out of the way and wait to get it or trust that one of the workers will get it, a lady dropped something at the start of a race of over 450 people and she almost tripped people stopping to pick it up.

It talks about spitting, drinking the water and so forth.

I just found it completely interesting and helpful in running etiquette. Wish everyone took the time to think of others before they run.

My turkey Trot they said no strollers yet people showed up with strollers and were just told to go to the back of the line..The thing is they don't stay in the back they eventually move through the line and that can be difficult too.

Just my two cents

Loving2Run

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    59. Nov 27, 2009 7:10 PM (in response to lovin2run)

Lovin2run,

thanks for encouraging all of us slow runners.  I just wrote a long reply to someone on the 11/16 thread who has a friend who basically told her the same thing.  Are these people crazy or what?  Don't they know that it is better to be out there doing something than sitting at home doing nothing?  I let those negative thoughts rule my life for entirely to long.  Now I am just working on what I can do, and getting better.  I am really encouraged by your story.  Hopefully my 14mm will soon become a 12mm or better.  Good luck on your half marathon training.  I have 1 more week of C25K and then I am moving on to the 10k training.  I am a bit scared, but I it gives me structure and something to shoot for.  I am ready to be fit and trim.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...