Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22101 Views 85 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2010 8:12 AM by Achmed1 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Joanna Gadd Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Nov 22, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to Run Coach Robert)
    Re: Pet Peeves while running?

Definitely the coolest answer

And I'm right with you, I was racking my brains before I read the replies.

• loriannhoffman Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    46. Nov 23, 2009 1:24 AM (in response to tcarter83)

Elderly people who would rather run you over - then cross over that center yellow double line.

And decomposing dead animals on the side of the road.

• DivaSTating18 Amateur 20 posts since
    Oct 25, 2009
    47. Nov 23, 2009 3:49 AM (in response to loriannhoffman)

I concur, people who do that in general. It just amazes me...I understand if you didn't see me, but when it's bright outside and I stand out (which I always do), it's just annoying.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    48. Nov 23, 2009 4:04 AM (in response to tcarter83)

my new one from today - parents who think a running / bike path is the approprite place to teach a small child who is wobbling and veering all over the place to ride a bike -

Actually parents of small children in general who think every public place is an appropriate playground  .. bike and running paths are NOT good places for a 2 year a old

But as someone pointed out we should be happy we can run so I`ll list my anti peeves - things that make me smile when I`m running

The brown pit bull who always has a 3 ft stick in his mouth or his insanly long tounge hanging out

The 3 of 4 people I see who are quite over weight but are doing their slow job or run/walks on the weekend and are getting healthier - I know how hard it is to start up

The 2 old guys I see walking on the weekend - O hope I stay in that good a shape in my old age

The guys who fish off the east river all day Saturday - if I do a long run I pass then at least 6 times - the never yell anything rude - they are just guys hanging doing their thing

The people who run a coaching session for yound kids ont he weekend

These all far outweight the stupis parent !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• MHaar Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    49. Nov 23, 2009 4:10 PM (in response to tcarter83)

People who run on the left side of the trail, sidewalk, etc.  Stay on the right fellow runners!

• AmyMarieShropshire Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2009
    50. Nov 25, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to tcarter83)

Of course the drivers.  I've almost gotten hit several times!  But mostly, my lungs giving out before my legs do or vice versa!

• AileenPhilomena Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    51. Nov 25, 2009 5:13 PM (in response to tcarter83)

1. Drivers not being courtious ... i.e. coming strait at you and not even attempting to go around

2. Traffic not granting runners the right of way i.e. having to stop at intersections

3. DOGS chasing after me

4. Ipod earbuds not staying in my ears

5. Shoe laces coming untied or clothing malfunctions

6. SNAKES

7. Cold weather...snow...raw and rainy  and being forced to run on the treadmill ughhhh

8. Daylight Savings time

....yes i know...most of the stuff I have no control over lol

Aileen

twitter.com/AileenPhilomena

www.wccc.com

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    52. Nov 27, 2009 8:49 AM (in response to tcarter83)

I don't know what's worse: Rollerbladers (who take up three lanes), or other runners who, coming toward you, do not understand that they should pass on your left side (stay to their right). Pedestrians, automotive vehicles and bicycles pass on the left. I can't understand why it seems like a new idea to some runners that maybe they should do the same. Maybe they are just day-dreaming?

Paul

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    53. Nov 27, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to LowDead)

LowDead wrote:

3.  The competitive runners that finish the race and then turn and run back up the course in reverse to let everyone else know how far ahead of you they finished and that they are now 2 miles into their training run because the race wasn't long/intense enough for them.  I may just be ignorant and this is something that elite/competitive runners are supposed to do or something, but it drives me nuts.  It probably bothers me so much because I am just jealous. ;-p

I totally agree with you on that one.  Now I can be just as smug as the next runner (let's be honest, ALL runners are smug to a certain extent.  Just saying...)  But to totally show off by running back the race course is just plain arrogant.  I saw that yesterday in the race I was running and ya know what...I'm not impressed!  Run your race, post your winning time, and then stand back and cheer for the other runners coming in.  If you really feel like this race wasn't challenging enough for you and you need to run the course again, then run it back around BEHIND the other runners - unless of course you have something to prove by rubbing everyone's noses in it.

Jul 13, 2008
    54. Nov 27, 2009 9:10 AM (in response to Ellsbird1)

I just want you to know that as a fellow bicyclist, Ellsbird, I understand what you are going through. When I am running and I see a bicyclist approaching me, I jump up onto the curb or grass strip. It is the only courteous and safe thing to do. Also, it improves my reflexes and timing. If there is no place to jump up onto, I look behind me and then dart to the opposite side of the street.., and then back. No problem.

Paul

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    55. Nov 27, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to tcarter83)

From reading these posts it looks like most of you run along the road (on sidewalks, I presume.)  I guess I'm the lucky one because cars have never been an issue for me.  I run on park trails away from traffic.  Now keep in mind that I have to get in my car and drive 15 minutes to the trail areas, but it is totally worth it to be able to run in safe, peaceful surroundings.  Now I understand those of you who don't have parks with trails in your vicinity and therefore you have to run on the roads.  But what I have NEVER understood is all the people I see running along the road just a mile or two from the park.  I'm like why, oh why, would anyone rather run on the road when they could be running on these beautiful park trails?  That's not even to mention that the cinder paths are much easier on your legs than concrete sidewalks.  I just can't figure that out!!!

• KenBosch Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    56. Nov 27, 2009 12:18 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Loose or unleashed dogs are about the only problem I've had running. The last dog attack I had caused a broken left wrist. I won the fight but at a terrible cost.

Southern California's Five Seasons: Earthquake, Brushfire, Mudslide, Riot and Bankruptcy......

Jul 13, 2008
    57. Nov 27, 2009 4:20 PM (in response to KenBosch)

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I've only been running a year and a half, and I must have been a bit naive about dogs. I guess I've just been lucky. I have one of these: http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=42858208&source=ecostdeal&cm_mmc=CSE-_-Shopping.com-_-ecostdeal-_-Sports and I think I'll start bringing it along. It has a clip to go on the top of your shorts.

Paul

• scottwk1 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    58. Nov 27, 2009 5:06 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Ok, found another pet peeve... yesterday during the Turkey Trot, people decided at just before the 2 mile mark, there was a turn around.. everyone in front of me decided to walk around the turn around, thus slowing everyone else down . Plus people that walked in the middle of the road, so you had to dodge around them.. instead of them walking to one side of the road or another.

• MHaar Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    59. Nov 27, 2009 6:37 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Get annoyed during a race when walkers or very slow runners don't pull over to the right.  If only runners would treat the roads like drivers do.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...