Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7441 Views 73 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2009 9:34 AM by Turtle Who Runs Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • lovin2run Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Nov 27, 2009 8:13 PM (in response to k9178)
    Re: 200lbs+ C25K Nov. 23-29

K9178-I have a freind that runs a 7mm, that over the summer when I first started he would finish the race and then come back for me, he would basically be speed walking (barely) while I ran, he never gave up on me he just kept pushing me. If it weren't for his encouragement that it just didn't matter how slow or fast I was in the beginning that I just did it, I may have let those negative people get to me.

I have people all the time ask me how I've lost my weight and honestly I lost the beginning 150 pounds without exercise, but discovered how much damage that actually did, and so when I began to walk and then run these last 45 pounds have come off slower but my body is in so much better shape, and when I mention I'm running they all say the same thing..Oh I couldn' run...I always say it's not just about running it's about moving. That's it get up and move, you won't burn calories sitting on your coach yelling at the tv, (ok maybe you'll burn some) anyway my goal is to help people move. I've included my before and after pictures on my signature for now.. Just so that you can see that I understand the importance of slow starts and just continuing to move on..Hopefully they will show up

june 1999.jpgBeach 2 pics sept 2009.JPG

June 1999 (415 pounds)                             Septmber 2009 (215 pounds)

I am not who I was 10 years ago but I feel better than I did just 2 years ago...

My journey to a better me began on March of 2008 when I cared enough to change me for the better..

Running has become a way for me to express my freedom in the new me.

• onehtmma1029 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    61. Nov 27, 2009 9:26 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Lovintorun - GIRL!  You look fantastic.  Kudos to you!!!  You are an inspiration to me.

So I made it all the way through week one.  And I did not die.  WOO HOO!  I'm actually kind of anxious to start week two and see how it goes.  I am looking for a 5K to sign up for in February so that I will have a goal time.  I am planning on a 4K mud run the end of Feb, so that will be fun.

HOpefully everyone is having a great weekend.

Tracie

Couch to 5K - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

On my way to being one hot mama!

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    62. Nov 27, 2009 9:26 PM (in response to lovin2run)

Lovin2Run,

Wow, your story is really incredible, and I love that you have such a great friend who encouraged you.  I have just over 50lbs to lose, and I really want to focus on losing it the right way.  I am commited to this journey, and I am actually enjoying the running.  I always thought I could not run, and spent my whole life saying that.  By doing the C25K program, it has taught me that I can run.  Sad that people are always focused on time, rather than movement.  When I was in Junior High PE class, they timed as we ran the mile and our grade was largely dependent upon that time.  I could not run fast even then.  I have asthma which is now under control, but then I barely knew how to use an inhaler.  My teacher didn't believe that I had asthma either.   It was 25 years ago, so things have changed.  I remember that consistently, I ran over 13mm, and my best time was 9:30mm with the teacher pushing me.  Needless to say, I got a C in the class because I did could not run fast enough.  I never got another C in my entire school life (I even have an MBA).  It is so funny that at 38 I can look back and see how that interaction made me think that I could not be an athlete or a runner.  Now I know that is not the case.  I may be slow, but I am a runner.

I love the pictures.  You look so great and so fit now!  You should be really proud of how hard you are working and the encouragement you are to others.  It is so nice that we are all in this together.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• lovin2run Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    63. Nov 28, 2009 3:23 AM (in response to k9178)

; onehtmama & K9178-Thank You...It has taken me a long time to actually be willing to show people where I am, because I still have weight to go but I have finally recognized the Journey is as important as the destination. K9178-I hated PE in school, I was always the slowest, picked last and made fun of, so at this point in my life my entire family has been so ecstatic about where I am, because until they got to see for themselves they thought me and lovin2run was a huge joke. I will never forget when I was 17 we moved from Indiana to California and I would help move one thing and then take an hour break hoping by the next hour they would be finished.

Over this past summer when I was doing the summer beach run series here in Florida, my parents came to visit from Cali and while they were here the 5 mile run was up and so i told them bring your lawn chairs and something to snack on cuz it's going to be a minute. My friend and his wife and their family were there too, I ran with the wife (my friend too) and my friend  he went ahead to go run the 5 mile in his speed so he could get his time card, he finished it long before I did and he came back for me and his wife we still had about a mile and half to go and he came back and ran with me, we got back the timers were gone and so were most of the people, but we came back to my family and their family cheering for us. It was such a positive moment in my life. It's a memory that lasts, when I get discouraged and think I can't do something I just remember that and it keeps me going. I have run a couple of races by myself and that has helped me learn to root for myself.

At this point I AM learning to run for me...And that is a remarkable feeling.

june 1999.jpgBeach 2 pics sept 2009.JPG

June 1999 (415 pounds)                             Septmber 2009 (215 pounds)

I am not who I was 10 years ago but I feel better than I did just 2 years ago...

My journey to a better me began on March of 2008 when I cared enough to change me for the better..

Running has become a way for me to express my freedom in the new me.

• amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    64. Nov 28, 2009 3:31 AM (in response to lovin2run)

Hey guys! Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving! I ate WAY to much & then got up at 2:30 am yesterday to go black Friday shopping. Craziness. My legs were hurting like mad when we were done. I am hoping they feel better later on today to go for a run.

Lovin2run~ Your story is such an inspiration! You have done a fantastic job!!! No.... there were no cards... so no biggie. Like I said really informal. First place was a pumpkin pie. It was only the 5th annual Turkey Trot for this town and it was honoring a police officer who was killed off duty. He was an avid runner and was a big supporter of crime stoppers so that is where the money went. His running shoes are carried through out the race by a runner every year. It is really neat, which is why we chose to do this one. Maybe my next 5K will be a little more formal & let me know what I placed, although I am not quite sure I would want to .

Jasmine~ Good luck on your 5K today. I can't wait to hear about it!!

Irish~ My running partner & I have the exact same problem with the foot numbness!!! Ours is our left foot. I have been trying to read up on it & trying to figure it out. It was even happening when we were running on blacktop. I made a conscious effort not to lace my shoe up too tight at the 5K but it didn't help. If you figure it out let me know!!

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    66. Nov 28, 2009 6:02 AM (in response to AFatManRunning)

It is very interesting to hear everyone's PE class stories. I personally enjoyed the class, but for some reason, I was always a big girl who was in shape back then. Make sense? We had to complete a 10mm by the end of the semester and I did. I was also on track and field team for a couple of years and even though I did not race, I did some long distance running just to be with the group (I threw shot put and discus) Once in college, every semester I would take some form of athletic class - mostly swimming. On the days I wouldn't swim, a friend and I would walk 4 miles and lift weights. I look back now and recall how unhappy I was with my body THEN, being in my 20s and weighing 200lbs. But now I would give anything to be back to that point. Funny how life works.

I'm glad I found out I could still run (issues with lower back and knees kept me from trying for so many years) and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not showing much weight loss but I'm out there about every other weekend running a race. I'm now starting on a 10K training program.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    67. Nov 28, 2009 7:54 AM (in response to moviechic3)

Hi all,

I like reading all of the stories out there, and all of the accomplishments that everyone has each week.  Keep em' coming!!  I remember that in jr. high and high school I was a "selection" athlete, meaning, if there was a sport I didn't like (softball, running, gymnastics) I would find an "injury" to prevent myself from participating.  Strangely enough, when a sport that I liked and was good at crame around (basketball, soccer, tennis) I suddenly felt better.  I was acutally on my school's soccer and basketball team, which is a lot of running, but I had no patience for that, so everytime we had to run, I had a headache, and got out of it.  If I was running around during a game after a ball, fine, but just running to run, forget it!  It's amazaing what I was able to get away with back then, but as I know now, it eventually caught up with me, and evidenced by my weight now.  It's always, if I knew then what I know now......

Well, at least now I know and am working on it. I am officially down 60 lbs. as of today!

Moviechic, I'm curious; how did you improve your 5K times so much from week to week?  I just finished a 5K in 45:57, which is my best time so far and the first time I ran the entire course, but still a far cry from where I want to be.  I would be so happy to finish in 40 min or less, but I'm nowhere near that, and I'm afraid my lack of patience is going to catch up with me and start to discourage me.  Is there anything special that you do?

Thanks,

Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    68. Nov 28, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

GoRunIrish - Our Turkey Trots sound very much alike. We had over 14,000 participants. It took 10 minutes for everyone to cross the start line. It was just crazy crowded. The 10Kers and the 5Kers all started together and the course was not marked very well, people yelling "10K next right 5K stay straight" Anyone wearing headphones may have missed their turn. Overall it was fun. The costumes were great. My time sucked. Oh well. There's always another race. My husband ran the race beside me. Afterward he said, "I should have run the 10k. I didn't even have to take a deep breath." To which I replied, "shut up. you suck."

Turtle - I'm slow too. Not quite sure what I'm going to do to increase my speed. Right now, I'm doing one hour runner to increase my endurance. But I'm wondering, after I finish OHR, maybe I should do C25K again. But this time, run my normal speed during the walk parts and then run faster during the run parts. hmmm. I don't know but my time of 40:07 for my Turkey Trot was not acceptable to me. I just feel like I need to find a way to push myself.

I was a little happier when I looked at division and overall stats. I finished 178 of 582 in my division (I think that's age group) and then overall there were 12462 finishers and I placed 4021. So even though 40:07 doesn't make me happy, the stats help to make up for it.   ( I'm ignoring the fact that overall includes 10k runners, 5k runners and 5k walkers)

The pics are hubby and I before the race and then he took this pic of me during the race. I didn't wear my race shirt because I wanted to run in exactly what I always run in. Next year we're going to wear costumes.

Attachments:

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    69. Nov 28, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to babeinthewoods)

The stories everyone shared are so great.  It is interesting how we all get to where we are.  The exciting thing is the story that we are currently writing for ourselves.  A fit future is what I am working towards.

Andrew, It sounds like we graduated the same time.  I went to my 10 year, but decided to skip my 20 year.  I think mainly because I am overweight and still single.  I think I was feeling like a failure at the time of signups.  As the days progressed towards my 20 year reunion, I thought about going, but I asked people who were friends in high school, and none of them were going either.  I am really glad I didn't go.  It was just fine looking at the pictures on facebook.

Kelly -  I am with you on wanting to gain some speed.  I think it will come.  I have 1 more week of C25K and then I think I am going to try the 10k training at least the beginning.  I need to start building miles, and I think speed with come with that.  I am running just under 14mm regularly now, and I think that can improve.  I am interested to hear what you find out.  I would really love to join a running group, but right now, I think I am much to slow.  Has anyone gone on a group run yet?  I live in San Diego so there are tons of those groups here, and I think it would be really fun and motivational.  I am thinking forward to when I will need more motivation.

Babe, I love the pictures.  Congrats on the 5K.  I would be thrilled with the 40 minute time.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    70. Nov 28, 2009 9:41 AM (in response to lovin2run)

Lovin2run- Even though I did not start as high as you did, I can SO relate to the before picture.  I have so many like that.  I think that you look fantastic in your recent picture and I hope that someday soon, I too will look like that too.  You look so proud & happy (as you should!).

My high school days are a distant memory, but I was never gifted in any of the sports, nor did I run then at all.  Being un-gifted, I too was never a preferred pick for any PE sport.  But honestly, my memory is so bad, I think I've blocked all that stuff. LOL

Well, today I did my Thanksgiving 5K race.  The day dawned cold (29F) and clear, which made it perfect for my long sleeve tech shirt and tights, with a nice bright T-shirt over it, so as not to scare the kiddies.  I walked & jogged about a half mile for warm up.  This 5K was a real small local event (120 runners), but professionally timed with chips.  I had my new heart rate monitor watch on, and my iPod set up with fast race music.  There were not major hills, just gentle ups and downs.

I positioned myself at the back, and basically stayed there the whole way.  I was paced by two walkers for most of the first half of the race, but when I slowed for the water half way, they pulled ahead.  In my last race 5 weeks ago, I completed it in 51:48.  I started out fast (for me) and went past the 1 mile mark at 14:30.  Except for the walkers, most everyone else was out of sight.  I continued on and hit the 2 mile at 30:00 (my best 2 mi to date).  By this time my heart rate was above 160.

For most of the last mile, my heart rate was around 170 (near my max), but my great music kept pushing me on.  I really wanted to finish at a 15mm pace.  I powered thru the last 10th, with my heart ready to burst, and finished at...46:36 - or a 15:02 pace. Whoo-Hoo!! I was about 1 min behind the walkers, and 4-5 mins behind the last runner. BUT...I got 3rd in my age group. Ta-Da!!  I am very pleased because I finished close to my goal time for next wks race. Just know, Turtle and Babe, that I'll be there, right BEHIND you, and we'll all keep getting better and better.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    71. Nov 28, 2009 5:36 PM (in response to k9178)

I hated hated hated P.E. class. I was 17 before I ever saw the appeal of any physical activity. Why do they do that to people as children, make it all about the sports and the barbaric tradition of PICKING TEAMS?

I don't recall ever running, though, at least not more than a minute. I remember watching some of the other kids running. If we had any timed miles, I managed to get out of them. My grades must not have depended on doing well, though, because I was a star student. Somehow managed not to fail P.E. Maybe I did extra credit on learning the rules of the games or something.

And I had no interest in going to any of my high school reunions.  I haven't even been notified about any since the 10th. This year would have been the 25th.

One of my biggest recent eye-openers was to discover that there are so many sports and forms of fitness that I enjoy. I started swimming for fitness in college, and at times I've played tennis, volleyball, intramural football; I used to cycle, I've always walked regularly, and I just started learning to love running. I immersed myself in dancing so much that we go around the country doing it, and I even met my husband dancing. One might wonder why I'm carrying so much extra poundage.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    72. Nov 29, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Kelly,

The improved time has a lot to do with the size of the race (at least, that is what I am going with)

My first race one was 3000+ people, and starting at the back of the pack, I didn't feel it was nessicarily a good representation of my time. Also, a couple of really big hills, which for a first race, was scary.

2nd race : Smaller numbers (only 200 people) and it was held at the park I run at 3 times a week. I was able to find my pace quickly and stick with it.

3rd race : Again, smaller numbers (100 people) and I actually started at the beginning of the line (but quickly got passed) but I realized I was running way too fast for me. It helped with my overall time though because I had come off a week and half of being sick and NO training.

4th race : Larger number (2000+) but I decided I needed to do something to up my time. I kept my steady pace but when I would run UP a hill I would speed up, then go back to my pace coming down a hill (didn't want to go to fast coming down because it hurts too much) I also sprinted the last 100 yards to the finish line (and could barely breathe) LOL

5th race : Small numbers (200) I used same tactics from previous race. Start out with the pack going faster, speed up going UP hills and this time I also sped up a bit coming DOWN hills as well. Sprinted in to finish line (last 20 yards)

6th race : Large numbers, started out fast but SO MANY HILLS! I seriously only went downhill 2 times that I can remember. I also had to stop and tie my shoe. So that is why no improvement with time.

I run 2 times a week with a friend who is much faster than I am. We generally tend to do more distance than speed, just so she gets a workout as well.

The other days I run on my own at my own pace.

Don't know if any of this thought process might help out, but that is what I have done

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    73. Nov 29, 2009 9:34 AM (in response to moviechic3)

Moviechic,

You make some good points about how your times change and that there are so many things that can affect it.  At my last Turkey Trot I was at least 20-30 seconds back, and when each second counts, it means something.  This race was the biggest I've been too, with 770 runners, and it's tough to be slow because you don't want to start in the front because you will get an elbow or two in your face and run too fast for your own good (I learned my lesson the hard way), and if you are in the back, you're already seconds behind.  And because each race course is different (although on Long Island hills are a relative term since it's a big sand bar we live on!) it's tough to really know if you improved or not.  The good thing is that it was in my neighborhood so I knew the course well-which also helps.  I think that your time will also improve when you are running with someone that is faster than you; I would think that it would give you incentive to be faster and not even realize it if you are talking to the other person.  My training is solo because although my husband runs, he's much faster than me (8:30mm), so there is no way I could keep up.  Thanks for the information.  I wish I had times like that.  Hopefully soon I will.

And to everyone on the message boards--thanks so much for the support and information.  All of the feedback is so useful and the support is something I couldn't do without.  It's so hard sometimes being 200+ lbs and starting a running program-I feel like there are specific challenges to be heavier and trying to run; challenges that a lot of other people just don't understand.  I know that my family and friends are happy for me and proud of my accomplishments, but when I finished the W5D3, or the C25K program, or was able to run the entire 5K the other day, I was so happy, surprised, and really shocked and impressed with myself, more than I can even explain to my husband or our other friends and family.  I know, though, that everyone here understands where I'm coming from because they've been there or are working on being there, and I just wanted to say a big 200+ lb THANK YOU for keeping me motivated, giving me great ideas and providing the support and understanding that I think we all need from time to time.  I love hearing everyone's progress, like giving advice or sharing stories with others in the same position, and helping others get through those tough times.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Have a great day!

-Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...