Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2918 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2009 7:03 AM by tpcclt RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Jasonhomey Pro 236 posts since
Jul 19, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2009 4:40 PM

Turkey Day Runners, How did you do?

I ran my first thanksgiving race yesterday. I went in to the morning wondering if I was even going to run at all. I had run the marathon at the end of october and didn't really get to training for this until the beginning of november. The difference in pace is what really struck me, trying to go from 8 minute plus miles to 6:30. It made me feel out of shape and old. Thankfully, the couple days before the race, I had two good runs where I really dropped my time (i ran as hard as i could on a 4 mile course around my neighborhood and got closer to my goal time). Anyways, the weather called for rain and cold yesterday morning and I wasn't pleased or excited for that. However, when I woke up, it was crisp and cool with sun. So i figured, what the heck, lets go run before I pig out. Even though this 4 mile course was mostly uphill (i was wondering how thats even possible in a 4 mile course around the same area), I ended up beating my personal best time by 13 seconds. My goal was to beat my 4 mile time and finish in the top 10 of the race, and I did both. I finished 25:43 and exactly in 10th. I also really wanted to finish in the top 3 in my age group, but i missed it by 1 spot. Still, not too bad for a part time runner now and I think I can eventually move that time under 25 minutes. The best part, I checked my watch and realized I would have beat my best timed 5K time during the race. Granted, I haven't run a timed 5K in over 10 years and would run that faster now, but still nice to know. So how did all of you do on your races?

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

PR's-

Marathon - 3:24:47 10/17/10 Columbus Marathon

1/2 Marathon - 1:34:26  09/07/03 Columbus Half Marathon

30 K - 2:22:36 09/28/03 Heritage Rails to Trails

10 Mile - 1:12:20  08/17/03 Alum Creek 10 Miler

4 Mile - 25:43 11/26/09 Pilgrim Progress

5 Mile - 34:43 05/26/2003 Upper Arlington 5 Miler

5K - 18:55 05/22/11 Physicians Free Clinin 5K Fun Run

10K - 40:50 02/27/11 Last Chance for Boston

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Nov 27, 2009 11:14 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)
    Re: Turkey Day Runners, How did you do?

The last 4 weeks have been downright slothful for me but I did my local 5k turkey trot in 28 minutes even. Not my best but not my worst, and it was only a fun run to raise money and food donations for our local food bank. It was 34 degrees, sunny and beautiful, and enjoying the morning was more important than my time. Fun!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 28, 2009 3:48 AM (in response to Jasonhomey)

Ran my local 8k Turkey Trot just five days after completing the Philly Half-Marathon. I managed a 39:10, which is a 54-second PR at that distance. I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I got passed at the four-mile mark by a guy who was running barefoot. I also passed one of Santa's elves who was wearing jingle bells. The annoying sound helped push me to my PR.

Nice runs, Jason and dfitz!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• ontotheend Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    3. Nov 28, 2009 5:39 AM (in response to Jasonhomey)

Hi there...  Ran my first Turkey Trot a 5 miler in Austin Tx.  This after running an 8K and a marathon in the Outer Banks Nov 7 and 8, the San Antonio Marathon Nov 15 along

with the Livestrong and Susan G. Komen 5K races.  I am normally a walker but decided that I would try to run this one, and ended up being very satisfied with my time of 1:05:17.

I know compared to some of you young things this is like the tortoise and the hare, but I did it!

Mary ontotheend

Mary

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Nov 28, 2009 5:55 AM (in response to ontotheend)

I ran a local 5K.  I was going to say "small, local" but it's up to 1200 runners.  I managed 28:52 (my watch) on a pretty hilly course, matching the time I ran on a flat course a few months ago.  I consider that progress as I'm working back after a bad year of training.  That put me 7 of 19 in my age-group, not bad.  There are some pretty fast 60 year-old men out there.  First in my age-group was in the 21 minute range.

Len

Len

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    5. Nov 28, 2009 6:08 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Ran the 5K Turkey Strut in Winston-Salem, NC with a finish time of 39:53

Not a PR but still under 40minutes, which is always good in my eyes.

Lots and lots of hills which really slowed me down, but it was a good workout.

I look forward to trying it again next year to see how much I can improve

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• krissieb Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    7. Nov 28, 2009 10:33 AM (in response to Jasonhomey)

My husband, brother, and I ran our local 5K - small race, around 250. My Mom and Sister-in-Law walked, so it was fun to have family there.

I ended up finishing at 35:12, which was a nice (and suprising!) improvement from the 36:59 I ran just a week before.

I think I've caught the racing bug!

Began C25K so many times...Finally graduated October 2nd, 2009.

4 half marathons done, training for 2 fall half-marathons in the fall

Eventual goal: OBX Marathon, November 2012

Training log at www.dailymile.com/people/krissieb

Blog (almost) daily at www.questionsfordessert.com

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    8. Nov 28, 2009 2:13 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

Well, I had real good intentions - signed up for the Claremont Rotary 5K turkey trot in Claremont, CA. Unfortunately I did something real stupid the day before the race. I was on the last day of a Yosemite hiking trip and was running low on water, so refilled a bottle from a campground bathroom faucet. Probably that would've been fine in high season, but this was low season, and in retrospect, the water was likely stagnant. Suffice it to say that my body ended up totally trashed for 2 days and I had to shelve this race. Oh well, guess it was a charitable donation (since I'd preregistered) and a learning experience.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Tom Slot Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    9. Nov 28, 2009 3:16 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

My wife and I ran a Turkey Trot in Williamsburg, VA and both set PR's. A fun, family friendly race, though the first turn was pretty sharp and only about 100 some yards from the start line, so there was a nice bottleneck at the start. All in all a nice way to start the day though. It was my first turkey trot since 02. You can check out my running blog for the whole story.

Tom Slot
    --------------------------

Actor - Musician - Teacher

http://www.tomslot.com - Official website
    http://www.fatherofsongs.com - A New Musical By Tom Slot

Find me on Facebook.

Find me on YouTube.

My Running Blog

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    10. Nov 28, 2009 5:46 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

my husband and I ran the Greensburg 5k Turkey Trot with a time of 31:09.  It was all uphill from about 3/4mi mark (436ft elevation change).  My husband could have had a better time but I was running with a muscle strain and one fo the larger hills was kicking my butt so he waited for me at the top and then stayed with me for the rest of the race (what can I say - he loves me).  Had a great time.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    11. Nov 29, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

I ran in the local 5K and came in with a PR of 24:25. While I was disappointed with 17th in my age group, I did rank #241 overall out of 1450 participants.  I was very pleased with my time since 6 months ago my 5K time was 31:18 and I was 60 lbs heavier   The atmosphere was awsome....just like the weather.  I am definitely going to make this race a yearly tradition!  Great way to start off Turkey Day.

• PenAimie Amateur 20 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Nov 29, 2009 2:12 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

I ran in the Ten Can 5k on Thanksgiving morning.  The run was to benefit FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) and a local food bank.  All entrants brought 10 cans of food (in addition to the registration fee).  They raised over 3000 cans of food.

This was my first real 5k (I have walked a 5k in the past).  And so I was pleased with coming in under 35 minutes.

The weather was crisp & clear and I look forward to doing it again next year.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/ththExercisegirl.gif?t=1261365530http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/thCGBANNER.jpg?t=1258811316 livin' in Savannah, GA

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/GA/Savannah.gif

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    13. Nov 29, 2009 7:55 PM (in response to Jasonhomey)

Five of us ran in the 15th Annual Turkey Trot in Springfield, MO. We've all been running 7 months or less, and 3 of us are penguins, so the fact that we all ran it without walking a single step was half of our battle right there.  There were over 6,000 walkers/runners, and I finished in the top part of the bottom half, so I'm happy. LOL       Right now, as long as I run the whole way and beat 40 minutes I'm satisfied.  I don't really compete against others; I am my main competitor.

A guy in full pilgrim costume ran by about mile 1, and a little bit later a guy in a wheelchair rolled past me!  He had a bit of an advantage, though, we were going down a hill.

It was about 35 and clear (wished I'd had my sunglasses), and a great experience.  It's billed as the largest Thanksgiving 5k in the state.

The only thing that bothers me is when people force their kids to run these things.  It's the second time I've seen it -- a little girl (about 6-10 years old) being dragged along by her mother, crying and wanting to walk, while mom drags her along and tells her "there is no crying, come on".  I'm sorry, but that's a really good way to get kids to hate running, as well as activities with their parents.  If they want to set a PR, leave the kids with someone, or get someone to walk with them so they can enjoy the experience.

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    14. Nov 30, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to kimc921)

Let's see... no santas, elves, etc passed me during the race - though a couple of 9-10year olds did.  I finished 218th out of 700+ participants with a PR of 25:27 (official time was 25:34, but I was well across the line before then).  Either way, it was a PR for me.  I did not do a lot of training as I had pulled a muscle in my thigh and had only run 2x in the past couple of weeks.

I had a great time and got to run with some friends in the race.  My running blog has the full race report - but that is the gist of it (without the pics).

As for kids running, I can agree with Kim.  I have an older daughter that does some running.  She was able to do a mile and did a decent time.  When she runs with me, I have to keep in mind that it is to help her improve - not to do my full training.  I have to know when she is just "wimping" out and when she has really put in a full effort.  I agree, kids have to enjoy it to want to do it well.  So far, it seems to be working because she gets really upset if I go running without her!

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...