Skip navigation

4473 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 5:06 AM by Hermia RSS
susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
Jun 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2009 1:24 PM

Do any of you ever skip a day?

And if you do, do you feel as guilty as I do today?

This question was asked on another thread and I figured we start a new one...

Lance,  to answer your question about taking a day off, YES, once in a while I will take a day off of walking.  Do I feel guilty?  Yes, I do.  However, because I have a dog that gets walked twice a day I'm still getting a little exercise just not as fast or as far.

I think, like a runners body, a distance or race walker's body needs some recovery time.  Sometimes I'll do something different for exercise; mow the yard, ride my exercise bike, or elliptical.  Sometimes I'll just plop my pudgy self in a chair and read a book.  I don't believe there is anything wrong with a day off once in a while.

Anyone else want to offer up an opinion?  I'd love to hear it!

Susan in CA
Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Manda Clark Expert 46 posts since
    Nov 4, 2008
    Re: Do any of you ever skip a day?
    I take days off too.  More than I should.  But even when I was training for my half marathon I would take a day off after my long days.  I think it is good to mix it up too and add some cross training.  I am planning on adding weight training.  I am not sure if this will be on the same days as I walk, or stand alone.  Walking has been good for my legs, but my arms are currently hopeless!

Mandi

- “Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” Anonymous -

• ShelbyDellaRosa Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    2. Oct 9, 2009 12:40 PM (in response to Manda Clark)

I take days off but they are usually unplanned and because my schedule has gotten overbooked.  In theory, I think we all should take a rest day for our bodies now and then -- my crazy life just makes them happen for me.  I do feel guilty when I don't walk but, worse, I feel physically and mentally bad.  I think walking is really proving to be good for me.

I'm in a place in my mind where I want to start training -- for what, I'm not sure, there aren't that many walking-is-okay events that I've found in my neck of the woods.  I guess maybe I just want to give my body the same care I would if I were training for a big event.  And it's my understanding that true training does include rest days.

Now I'm off to start a thread on cross-training; hope you guys don't mind that I'm jumping into the deep end of the pool!

Shelby

Walking toward fitness in 2010

• PenAimie Amateur 20 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Nov 29, 2009 5:49 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

I do skip days from walking/running (mostly walking).  But I don't take any days off from cross training.  I do a variety of crosstraining activities for at least 30 minutes every day, whether I walk or not.  That way I work on flexibility and on core & upper body too.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/ththExercisegirl.gif?t=1261365530http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/thCGBANNER.jpg?t=1258811316 livin' in Savannah, GA

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/GA/Savannah.gif

• sleiffer Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    4. Dec 31, 2009 9:52 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

Yes, one day a week, according to the program I have, it's a 10 week half marathon training for walkers, I really like the program.  It does state you need a recovery day, so I walk 6 days a week and take Sunday's off.  This program is awesome, it sends me an email everyday explaining what to do that particular day, keeps me on track.....so again to answer your question, yes, take a day off, don't feel guilty, and use it as a recovery day.  Good luck!!

• Plgrove Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009

I normally take Tuesdays and Fridays off, just because that's what works for me (Tuesday is a rough day at work, and Fridays I like to have a beer or two.) Also I'm usually in a 5K on Saturday, so Friday gives a little rest day. But that's not carved in stone, and I might do a little something on the "off" days. I do believe the body needs a breather.

• Hermia Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2010

Nah, but only because I own a high-energy dog that needs to be walked for a long distance at a pretty fast clip three times a day to be properly exercised.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...