Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67120 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36 Previous Next
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Good morning everyone!

Karen.  Terrific picture!  You look like a runner!   Wow 38 minutes running!  That is excellent!

Aprillily.. Fantastic!   You did great!  Not even done with C25k and you got out there and rocked it.  Time is NOT important.. doing it is.  The fact that there were only 2 runners in the over 60 catagory shows what a winner you are.   You are above average just for being out there!   Now you have a base time.   This is a great sport because in order to win you need only improve your self.   Congratulations!

JoAnn.. WOW.. 5 minute improvement!     Great job!

Everyone:   I have started a new thread.   It is for people who have completed the 5k and would like to train for a 10K.  This thread has helped me tremendously.  Thank You so much for encouraging me and listening to me talk about my journey.      Please join the 10 K thread  if you'd like to continue on to that~

Cheers!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Thank you Kendra, Aprillilly, and Jasmine. You all have the gift of encouragement. I would love to join your thread one day, Jess. For now I'm planning to finish the last two weeks of C25K. Then I will work on covering the 3.1 miles.

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    452. Nov 29, 2009 8:34 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I guess I'm officially addicted to 5k's.  I've entered the Reindeer Run 5k coming up next Saturday.

I've found a training route around my neighborhood that takes me exactly 3.1 miles, so I'm trying to do that daily.  Every other day, running it completely, and the off days walking/running.  Today, I was under 30 minutes, so that's my goal for the official one.

The weather's starting to turn here in Buffalo, so pretty soon I'm going to have to decide whether I want to run in the snow, or change to something like x-country skiing (which I used to do a lot of, and it's an extremely intense workout).  I think after this one, I'm done with 5k's until spring and will just continue to train to get my times down and my distance up.  I'm also going to try downhill skiing for the first time this winter.  I've never done it in my life, because I was always worried about my knees and ankles.  But with the running, I think I can handle it now.  Off to the bunny hills with me!

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but this link is a GREAT tool for figuring out a route to run that gives you the distance you want, or finding out how far the route you're currently doing is.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/create_new

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

Sep 12, 2009

W8D1 completed this morning. This is my first run since the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.

I  won't be joining you on your 10K thread Jess. While running I was able to think more clearly. I am way too slow and I have to work up to covering 3.1 miles. If I try to increase my mileage I am afraid I will get hurt. It doesn't feel like the right time for me to move up. As you've  told us you had been hiking before you started this program. I've only been exercising regularly since May 09 and I was walking from May to September.

I would love to run a 10K one day but I better take things slow and steady. I'd like to run for the rest of my earthly life. I don't want it to be something I was only able to do for six or seven months.

When the time is right and when I am stronger I do plan to increase my running mileage.

Our 10 y/o son and I are signing up for another 5K in January. The proceeds will help to build an orphanage in Africa. Our other two children will run a 1/4 mile fun run for kids.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Completed C25K 12/14/09

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

Karen,

Now that I think more about the feasibility of my moving to the 10K program, I think that I am not ready for it.  Plus the fact that my hip/upper quad has been hurting me since Thursday.  I pushed through to run yesterday, but was only able to walk/run duing it.  I did a total of 3 miles including warm up/cool down, but it does not feel good at all today.  I still have to finish C25K and then I am not sure what I will do.  I may just continue getting my time in or maybe work on running the miles on the program.  If this injury continues to bother me, I may have to step back to walk/run.  What are you planning to do?

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

Sep 12, 2009
    455. Nov 30, 2009 7:35 PM (in response to k9178)

Hi Kendra,

I'm sorry you are hurting. Good idea just to walk/run. Have you been doing your stretches, eating enough protein,  and getting enough sleep? Maybe you should stop running completely for two or three days. I couldn't run at all after the race. Today was my first day since the race. My hips were burning. I thought it was because I'm turning into an old bag but my son said his hips were hurting too.

I am going to finish the C25K. I am signing up for another 5K in January. After I complete the C25 K I'm going to run the mileage instead of the time.

I'm also thinking about contacting the coach of a local running club.  The fee is cheap. The focus of the group is on increasing speed for 5 Ks. They have one meeting that is on 6 AM once a week. I could make that one before my husband goes to work. That will fit right in with my homeschool schedule.

Besides that, I bought subscriptions for Runner's World and Running Times for dirt cheap on eBay. I used a 25% off coupon for them at Barnes & Noble and I will read those slowly  until my subscription begins.

Get well soon!

~Karen~

P.S. I had a scare. My husband picked up my Singulair RX and lost it after paying for it. We called the store a few times and no one had turned it in. I called a few pharmacies and they all would charge me $140 to replace it. I have insurance but they won't cover the cost of your RX early if you lose it. Well, my husband found the medicine in his trunk on Saturday. We were elated. I was feeling too cheap to pay $140 and I was feeling very sad about possibly not being able to run without the medicine.

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Sep 30, 2009
    456. Nov 30, 2009 7:39 PM (in response to k9178)

Karen and Kendra... no hurry to advance on to a 10K.  You still have goals to meet in the couch to 5k program.  You want to be able to comfortably run the 3 miles.  After that you want to get your body to the point where it is comfortable running the 3 miles a few times a week.  Our bodies are wonderfully made and if we listen to them, we know what our next step is.  Couch to 5k is such a good program because it takes us step by step.  In my case I have been running the 3 miles 3 times a week for 3 weeks.  So I feel ready to add a half mile a week.  Of course if my body tells me other wise I will adjust.  So keep on keeping on!

Kendra,   Please be careful with the pain your experiencing.  Hopefully you just need a little  longer recovery period.  Definately don't try any increases while feeling pain.

Everyone is doing great!    Enjoy the progress that you've made so far.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    457. Dec 1, 2009 6:35 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Pearson Flyer

Thanks for the link Pearson Flyer to measure my distance

I guess I'm running 15-20 minute miles covering 2.5 - 3 miles.  You know... as I'm typing this... my mind is switching from "I'm so slow." to "That's amazing!!!"  Two months ago, I could barely make 60 seconds!!!  Yesterday I ran a full hour.  Who da man?  Who da man?  I gotta get out my white Pee Wee Herman boots and dance on the bar, eh?

I swapped over to the new 10k thread and got really cranky with all of the 'new' people.  I'm one of those folks that take a while to warm up to an internet group.  It was about a month before I stopped lurking and started posting - where I got to trust you all.  As a group, you all are neato kind folks, not the typical internet people.  I'm thinking that it's time for me to venture out into the 'real' world and find a group that runs once a week.

I did a bit of research and Fleet Feet has three runs each week: 

One Co-ed that goes 3-5 miles - This would be future for me.

One Women's that goes 40-45 minutes - This is the one I'm gonna check out and if I like it, commit to joining every week.

One I didn't write down cause it was way over my current ability.

Fleet Feet also has a training program that starts sometime in the next couple of months for training for a 5k that I think I'd like to do as well. 

But for now...  I've reached my previous goal of being able to run 45-60 minutes.  I am way happy with my determination.  Remember how many people started with us?  I wonder how many of them are back sitting on the couch?  I feel stronger.  I feel taller.  I feel thinner.  I feel happier.  That's what I wanted to achieve and I love when those endorphins kick in and give me that runner's high

So...  how to I segway into the future now that I've completed the program?  I'm confident that I will continue running, the benefits have been awesome!  Rather than move onto another program, I'm going to focus on enjoying my one hour runs for the next few months.  Maybe my distance will increase, maybe not. 

One thing I do know for sure, is that now I look forward to my runs!!!

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009

Just finished W9D2 with 30 minutes and 2.3 miles. The forward progress was thwarted by a particularly long traffic light for ferry traffic. Lame. Tomorrow is graduation run and then I get on a plane to my sister's wedding. Not a bad way to conclude the program. I think my partner and I have decided to follow up with the one hour runner after this. We'll see.

Shell

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

Congratulations, WetSneakers!

PeeWee, I've also looked at the Fleet Feet programs here.  Unfortunately, the only thing they do that's even remotely close to my skill level is a weekly 4-mile run, and I don't think I can regularly do 4 miles.

I'm preparing for the 5k run this weekend by doing a 3.1 mile circuit around my neighborhood.  Tonight, I did it in 29 minutes.  If I can meet that during the race, I can achieve my goal of "under 30 minutes".  But it was tough to do, and I'm going to need a couple of days' rest.

I think I'm going to have to start plotting out another route, because I'm getting bored with this one.  Variety is the spice of life, and keeps me interested in running, I guess.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

Oct 14, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am feeling a bit better today I didn't run, but I am planning to get up early and run on the treadmill.  We will see how that goes because I am traveling for work and the early morning means 2:30am California time.  I know I will feel better if I get some activity.  I did some yoga stretches tonight and it felt so good.

I am just going to continue running my time and increasing my mileage.  Karen I think I am going to do the same as you and continue to do the program with mileage goals.  I don't want to have a set back in any way.  I want this to be a lifelong goal.

PeeWee if you want to continue on here, it would be great to have you.  I am curious to hear how it goes for the running group.  I think I would really enjoy it, but I still think I am too slow to do it.  I want to build up to doing a running group so then I have the added incentive to workout with friends.  It will also spur me on when the novelty of running wears off.

Karen, I am so glad you were able to get your medicine.  I have had that kind of scare before and it is not good at all.

Kendra

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Sep 12, 2009
    461. Dec 1, 2009 8:31 PM (in response to k9178)

Kendra, running on the treadmill sounds like a great idea. Have a great trip.

Shell, thanks for mentioning the One Hour Runner program. I checked out the schedule. That looks like something I might be able to handle after the C25K. It looks fairly gentle.

PearsonFlyer, that's a great time you ran!

~Karen~

~Karen~

Completed C25K 12/14/09

Oct 14, 2009

I tried to run on the treadmill this morning, but it wasn't happening.  I walked for 1 mile, and then switched over to the elliptical for 30 minutes (2.5miles) and that worked pretty well.  I am going to count that at W9 D1.  I looked at the One hour runner, and I think that will work for me too.  It seems doable in an easy dose.  I just hope that this injury gets better soon.  It is a bit irritating.

Kendra

• Crazy88s Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 2, 2009

Long time lurker first time poster. Just wanted to say congrats to everyone who has completed the program.

I actually started on 10/5 of this year along with 3 other friends. At the time, I weighed around 320 pounds and thought I was going to die after the first day. Thank God for my friends as they really encouraged me to continue. Around the middle of the program we switched to distance based running rather than timed running. As of yesterday I finished W9D1 and ran the entire 3 miles in a little over 37 minutes. I am now down to 292 pounds. I ran (had to walk a little) my second 5k a couple of weeks ago and came in at 42 minutes. I have another 5k scheduled for New Years Day which I hope to finish in under 40 minutes.

The biggest challenges have thus far been all mental. I know I can do it, I just have to tell myself that I can. This program really works and I look forward to graduating this Friday.

If I can do it then I know anyone can do it.

Peace,

Mike

Sep 30, 2009

Wow!   Congratulations Mike!   I'm glad you posted.   It is great to hear a success story like yours.  Your 5k time is good as well.  You will continue to improve.  That is great on the weight loss.  Keep it up.  You are inspiring.  Keep posting on your progress!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...