Skip navigation

3676 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2010 2:56 PM by runnerwillardgirl RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2008 2:29 PM

2009 COZUMEL IRONMAN

• Sam Levario Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    1. Nov 2, 2008 2:29 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2009 COZUMEL IRONMAN

What Gives!! Website says they are accepting applications and when I go to register I get an error "Sorry: Online registration has sold out"

Active.com support seem to be having problems accepting requests for help. Can seem to get any answers.

• Tibor Kretschmann Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    2. Nov 30, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to Guest )

I had bad luck, chrashed on bike ride so I had to end the race just entering the marathon. Race is very good organized and the place and atmosphere are special. I'm looking forward to come back next year.

Just a little critic, race marshalls are no very strict with drafting, and the water bottles are not working, I really struggled to get the water out of them.

Over all, great race, great place, great people here on the Cozumel Island.

• MontalbanoNicole Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2008
    3. Nov 30, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to Guest )

Register on Active.com... Ironman Cozumel site not working yet.

• Travis siehndel Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    4. Nov 30, 2009 3:44 PM (in response to Guest )

My first Ironman and my first international race.

The Mexican people are amazing and they are very excited to share their beautiful island with us.  Spectators were passionate and dedicated from beginning to end.

I help produce a two large scale triathlons and understand what it takes to put on such a large event.  The IMCoz producers did a fantastic job and I anticipate improvements for next year. 

They received a faulty batch of water bottles for the bike.  The valve didn't work well so you had to bite off the nozzle to get adequate fluid out.  Special needs bags needed some more volunteers.  It took a bit of time to find your own bag and get your gear.

Small issues... Overall, great race.  Would definitely do it again and will certainly encourage my friends to do it.

• Andres F Castillo L Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    5. Dec 1, 2009 4:13 AM (in response to Guest )

a great race even being the first one, a little problems in the aid stations, but is just practice

congrats to the mexican people!!!

• gcr Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 1, 2007
    6. Dec 1, 2009 8:51 AM (in response to Guest )

The locals were unbelieveable in their support of the athletes.  No doubt the friendliest people I have experienced in my travels.  As for the race itself, very well organized and coordinated.  The swim was as advertised....simply spectacular, the bike was scenic but tough with the challenging head winds on the back side of the island, the run course was well stocked with plenty of nourishment.  My special thanks for the organizers as well as the Mexican people.......a truly unique experience in a perfect setting.  I just may have to try it again.  Gracias Amigos!!!

• Phil Cleveland Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2008
    7. Dec 1, 2009 5:53 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first Full Ironman so I thought the event was put together very well and the people were absolutely awsome. They shut down the whole town for the event and the locals came out with tremendous support and as soon as we got to town were offering discounts to Athletes. The bike course was a definite challenge with the winds but I think that will probably be the "Trademark" for this race. The run was really humid but the aid stations were stocked with plenty of fluids and the volunteers were awsome. I would recommend this race to anyone looking for an Ironman but you need to train and pace appropriately..

• Mark Sortino Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    8. Dec 2, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, great event!

Pre-race: Got registration packet on Thursday, but had to go back to get transition bags on Friday because they weren't ready. Athletes meeting was scheduled before Welcome dinner at a different place than the welcome dinner.  So, no one went to the welcome diner - literally seemed like there were twice as many staff as athletes.  Embarrassing and waste of $30 a head for family/friends.  No pros or VIPs showed up either.  Recommend Athlete meeting AFTER dinner at same venue JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER IRONMAN.  Lastly, Expo had barely anything.

Race day: Good swim course (almost 10 min faster due to current, but not sure if anything can be done about that).  Good T1.  Bike course was challenging.  Very few refs on course and all were mopeds with one rider - typically very hard to time 20 secs, give red card and talk to rider for drafting penalty.  Aid stations were good.  However, water bottles were almost impossible to "squeeze" water out of.  They are just poor design and didn't work well.  T2 was VERY small, but worked fine and put you right on run course.  Run was excellent, fantastic support from locals, plenty of liquids - although got low or ran out at some aid stations of coke.  Finish shoot and athlete finishing coral was excellent!  Post race: the next day we say crap all over the roads well into the afternoon at aid stations on bike course.  Don't know why these weren't picked up..?

Overall good race with most likely typical "first time" issues that new races have.  The local population seemed to really get into the race and provided the best crowd support I've had to date!

• rkiser Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    9. Dec 2, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall I have to say this was a pretty good first year event. There are some problems they need to work out, but overall good event. I think the race director should go to Lake Placid or Coure D'Alene and see what they do.

The one tough thing was transportation. It was $20-40 to go either to the swim practice are or to town for registration or the meals or meeting. Also was difficult logistically to get bikes, family, racers from the finish line to the hotels. Better transportation options would have been great.

Swim was very fast due to flat seas and current going with the athletes, rather than the athletes swimming into the current.

The bike was tough with the 3 loop course and the crosswinds on the south side of the island, but its an Ironman and its not supposed to be easy. There was a lot of pack riding which is a horrible problem with IM races and is CHEATING !! It needs to stop and its tough for the officials to patrol the course and I guess the people doing it figure the risk/pay off is good. Its tough to catch everyone, but it was good to see a lot of drafting penalities.

Transition areas were small and more seating would have helped. I talked to a number of athletes who had to stand up to change.

The run course had great energy with all the spectators, but it was a bit boring being 4 loops of the same 4   miles. I got a lot of blisters and I talked to a lot of other who did too and I think the course being so wet from cups and fluids kept the course pretty wet a lot of the run. The fans were amazing. A friend who got a Kona slot said the energy was every bit as high or higher than the finish shoot in Kona.

I have to disagree with another review I saw. The finish line was a disaster !  My wife and 2 friends who were there and 2 other racers wives came to the finish line to be catchers. And at first they were told they werent needed the med tent people would be the catchers. These volunteers tried to explain the need for catchers and they were told they werent needed. About that time an athlete came across the finish line and crumbled at the finish line and went to the ground because there wasnt anyone to catch them. At that point they say the need and they were asked to stay. Usually at the finish line the catchers "catch" the athlete, then take them through the shoot for their metal, towel, finisher picture, hat, and to give the timing chip back and either to the food or med tent. The finisher shirts were in 1 spot the picture in another, it was not orgainzed at all and a lot of people didnt get their finisher swag.

My wife talked with a cab driver who said they had a call to all locals to come out Sunday night to clean the island and it looked like downtown got cleaned up pretty well, but from what I heard from alot of people not the southern part of the island which means a lot of cups and bottles ended up in the ocean unfortunately.

A few improvements and this could be a great event. It was very good for a first year.

I think we as athletes need to help with some of the things like I saw a number of bike riders tear off gel packets and spit out the little stub which ends up on the road as littering which is un-necessary !

• MJIrwinTX Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    10. Dec 3, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to Guest )

Arrived the Monday before the race, stayed 4 days after, rented a car (pricey but split between the group), had a house north of town along the run course between the Melia and Cozumeleno hotels.  The car made it easy getting around to the various race events.  Chankanab was a good 15 minute drive south.  The packet pickup/expo and finisher area was 8-10 minutes. The pasta dinner and finishers party was 8-10 minutes from packet pickup.  On race morning, the bus was full, so we took a cab ($200pesos) down to the swim start.  Our family/friends did the same that morning, and took a cab back to town after the swim.  After the run start, they took a cab back to the house and camped out there for the first 2 loops.  They then took the car into town, parked near the finishing area, and caught the finish of loops 2 and 3.  We then drove our bikes home.  Just my thoughts on the logistics of getting around.

As for the race itself, conditions were perfect that day.  If the race had been 2 days earlier, half the people wouldn't have made it out of the water.  Will be curious to see what happens next year and if they get lucky or not.  The fact that the transition parking lot was paved a few days before the race, that the speed bumps were taken out of the bike course in town a couple days before, and that the ramp was being built a day before definitely had us concerned.  But in the end, it all worked out.  The bike was the toughest part, the winds never gave you a true tailwind but you definitely got the head/cross winds on the east side of the island.  Special needs on the bike was a cluster.  Spent 2 minutes or so looking for my own bag.  They needed more space and better organization.  If they had replicated what was done after the swim, there would have been no problems.  Water handups had issues, more with the bottles themselves being disfunctional.  They were just cheaply made and getting water out wasn't easy.  The crowds in town on the bike and run were going nuts early and wondered if they'd still be there later and they were.  I don't think they had a clue how long a lot of people were going to be out there.  Gave you some energy though.  The run was basic.  They did run out of cold water and coke by the time I was on the third loop.  I finished under 12 hours so I feel bad for those that were still out there into the night.  Didn't touch my special needs on the run after the bike problems so no comment there.  Finish line was so bright you couldn't see the fans on the sides.  You could hear them though!  Went thru the finish, got my medal, pizza, gatorade, shirt, finishers hat (which I had to buy at the expo and see a guy with the handwritten list).  I missed the towels, which were nice.  Massage after was odd, there wasn't a line or anything you just had to look for someone not already massaging someone else.  Think a line formed a bit later though.

Definitely a good race, but tough with the conditions.  The swim times were fast, bike times were slow, and run was slow as well compared to other IM races.  Won't be back next year though just because I have other events and places I want to go.

• Kirsten Arensen Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    11. Dec 3, 2009 9:17 AM (in response to Guest )

For a first time IM, the community of Cozumel did a fantastic job pulling off the event.  The crowd support was fantastic. There are only a few things that I can think of that need improvement:

- Don't sell finishers hats before the race and then not have any left for after the race.  Many people prefer to wait to get their "finisher" gear until after they successfully complete the race.  It was disappointing to not get a hat.

- The water bottles provided on the bike course need improving.  It was very difficult to get the water out.

- Special needs on the bike course was a little chaotic.  The volunteers could have used more help out there.  I am sure that as this race ages, more and more people from the community will become involved, and those types of issues will work themselves out.

- The email that I received with all my official results were in Spanish.  It would have been nice to have had a "translate" button on the webpage.

Thankfully, the winds were calm on the swim course, which along with the current made for some fast swim times.  A few days before the race though, the winds and current were so bad that they had to cancel the swim practice.  So be prepared for any and all types of conditions.

The bike course was windy and very challenging, so don't get fooled into thinking that it's flat and fast.  Having 3 loops definitely made it great for spectators.

A good portion of the run was on unforgiving concrete, which added some extra post race soreness.  The 3 loops made it great for spectators to monitor the progress of their family and friends.  A few of the aid stations ran out of cola.  Overall though, having aid stations every km was awesome, and the volunteers were great.

One more thing, with respect to the timing chips.  On the results page, many people were missing splits, and I am assuming that they had issues with the mats and the bike splits, (there were no bike splits) because the mats were there on the first lap but then they disappeared.  I am not sure if that meant people had faulty chips, or there were equipment issues, but it should be addressed.

Overall, the race was excellent.  Well organized, great community support, and an ideal venue.  Getting around Cozumel was pretty easy.  Taxis are plentiful and cheap.

If you are considering this race, be prepared for a mixed bag of environmental conditions. And don't forget to pack your mosquito repellent!

• MollyDancer Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2009
    12. Dec 5, 2009 9:23 AM (in response to Guest )

Not a review!!  Thinking about 2010, and hoping someone just there can answer some questions:

1) Was there any problem booking accommodations?  It looks like there was somewhere around 1900 contestants, but theoretically, there's only around 500 hotel rooms on the island.

2) What airlines provided discount codes or zone fares (if any!), and if so, how good were they?

Thanks so much!

MD

• Thomas K Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    13. Dec 6, 2009 4:31 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a great event!  Even more knowing it was the first edition.  Course was amazing with a unique swim and beatifull bike course.  Road condition was perfect.

Volunteers were ver good.

Have a few improvements for next year:

provide gatorade bottles that fit bike bottle cages and be more dynamic to give directions on the course (bike exit, run turn around).  Cannot think of anyting else.

The Cozumel community aws the most dynamic crowd I seen so far even comparing with IM Canada and IM USA-Lake Placid!

This will be a event to repeat for me.  Great job.

• Natalie Joline Cooper Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    14. Dec 7, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to Guest )

I echo Kirsten's thoughts - well done for a first time Ironman.

In addition to Kristen's thoughts - here are a few more

- registration

I found this a bit confusing. I recommend having everything put together in one bag - I ended up leaving without my transition bags and swim cap

-timing chips

chaffed the legs. I had to switch it to another leg - and as a result now have 2 chaffed legs

-Ironman Coverage on the website

friends tried to follow but weren't able to.

-blue water bottles

these appeared to be faulty. Most of the ones I took did not work. I ended up having to take the lid off

-Coke

they need more coke out there! And flat (if possible). There was some available at select stations - but not enough.

finisher hats, t-shirts etc

- somehow I missed getting one. And then when I went to pick it up the next day - they had run out. How is this possible? There were just under 2000 athletes - you would think they would have purchased a few extra?

Run course

-super fun - but I did find the concrete section (with the grooves) super slippery and hard on the shins. However, it was nice to have the support of the fans there. So - I'd be ok if they kept it there.

All and all - pretty well organised and fun event. I'm not sure I'd come back (I live in Canada - so it is a fair jaunt), but I'd recommend it to others. Just don't be fooled by the bike course! that was super tough with the winds. And I agree with Kirsten - be prepared for anything. It's an island - you can get crazy windy, super hot and humid, still and calm waters or huge waves and torrential downpour.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...