Skip navigation

2634 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2009 3:12 PM by jasonmellet RSS
Hound_Dog Amateur 27 posts since
Nov 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2009 11:32 AM

What pace should I be swimming?

Hey guys,

As a newbie, I'm still trying to determine baseline perfomances for my 3 events. Last night, I timed myself for a 300m sprint swim.  I finished at 7:30min.  HR was about 147.  I felt good, and was pretty relaxed.

What pace should I be aiming for?  For fitness levels:  I'm 37, 200lbs, I run 3 miles in 28-30 min with HR at 165, and have a 1 rep max bench of ~200lbs.

Thanks,

Alexander

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2009 12:09 PM (in response to Hound_Dog)
    Re: What pace should I be swimming?

depends on what sort of workout it is. what does yourplan say?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 3, 2009 1:30 PM (in response to Hound_Dog)

BTW welcome to the sport.  and not to be difficult but what are you planning to do with your 30 min swims?  just hit laps or intervals sets or work on your form?  since it's pre-base phase i say take it easy and go at an easy aerobic pace and work on your form (as an recovery from your other workouts)

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    4. Dec 3, 2009 3:12 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

Hey Hound Dog

My name is jason and have taken part in a few sprint races and thought my experience and training my be helpful to you. firstly i am 32 and used to be 212 pounds. i am now about 185. i am 6'1. before my first sprint race i really over thought the whole this as if i was doing an ironman. my advice to you would be to relax and not take it to serious. sprint races are fun and remember that your race, depending on your pace will only take you about 1 to 2 hours at most.

Find a pace that is comfortable for you and then start doing the distances and speed you think you will be racing at. if you are comfortable with that then you can start pushing yourself more and more.

your swim will probably be about 300 or 400 meters so you will only be in the water for less than 10 minutes. now as you are interested in your pace then know that your time of 7 minutes for 300 meters, whilst it is not bad, it isnt going to be the quickest guy out there. my swim time in my sprint of 300 was 5:47 but since then i have broken into the 4 minute bracket for a 300 m swim. so if you want and feel comfortable with it feel free to work on your speed a bit by doing some drills in the pool and specific workouts in the gym for swimming.

If you want i can look at your training plan with you some time and we can work on some times etc. i live just down the road from you and have a few friends from our triathlon club that also live in mckinney. i can put you in touch with them or you can come join us for a few workouts.

i am planning on doing my first 70.3 next year and am always looking for people to train with.

happy training

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points