Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2036 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2009 1:52 PM by Beka52 RSS
disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
Sep 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 2, 2009 7:57 AM

For our runners 50 and above!  December version!

This is a continuation of the thread I started a couple months ago for runners 50 and above doing 5k.   I decided to broaden it to runners in general and not just the 5k ers!

When I started the original thread about 10 weeks ago I was just starting C25k.  I finished it and ran a turkey trot 5k.  I ran in the masters division (40 and above)  The open started an hour after us.  There was a man celebrating his 79th birthday.  He was holding two big American flags.  very motivating.

For my fellow master runners share your stories and updates here!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Karen Fabian Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 21, 2008
    1. Dec 2, 2009 3:51 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: For our runners 50 and above! December version!

Hi, my name is Karen.  I ran in the Gobblers Gallop 5K in Watermann, IL and won 3rd in my age group (F 50-54) with a time of 29:36.  Not my best ever 5K time which is usually in the 28's.  I have accumulated 18 class win medals so far - some firsts.  My goal for 2010 is to run a 5K in the 27's.  I have run 8Ks in the 48's and did one 10K in 1:00:26.  I'm 51 and have been running for 4 years. I usually run on the I&M Canal Trail which is very scenic.

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008
    3. Dec 2, 2009 6:49 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi my name is Becky and I am a new runner.  I started last year but I have never set any goals for myself.  I just registered for the Havasu Marathon in April.  I know I can't run it but I'm sure I can run/walk it.  I will be locating a 5 K before that.   I just turned 53 but I feel great and I just like the feeling I have after I run even if it is only a couple of miles.  I just love it..... I just started running outside,  I usually run on my treadmill and I know its different. I love running outdoors.  I don't I never ventured out before now.  Anyway I would love to get tips from anyone who wants to give some.  Also trying to lose 15 to 20 pounds and I have read that running may add weight.  Any info on that?

Becky

• PenAimie Amateur 20 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    5. Dec 2, 2009 7:08 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi!  My name is Penny.  I'm 51 & a new runner (but I have been working out at home for almost a year).

I decided just 3 weeks ago to register for my first 5k.  I ran on Thanksgiving morning, coming in just under 35 minutes.  (6th in my class of 12 45-54 year olds)

I'll run my 2nd 5k this coming Saturday.  The Savannah River Bridge Run, "The South's Toughest Bridge Run".  I don't expect to come anywhere near 35 minutes on this one .

A 1.4 mile bridge with a 5.5% grade is going to slow me down considerably.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/ththExercisegirl.gif?t=1261365530http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/thCGBANNER.jpg?t=1258811316 livin' in Savannah, GA

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig_both/US/GA/Savannah.gif

• Karen Fabian Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 21, 2008
    7. Dec 3, 2009 9:07 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Thanks Jess!  You did great on your first 5K.  Good luck with the 10K.  I still remember my first race.  I started out with an 8K on some hilly streets in Joliet.  I did OK, even placed 3rd in the 45-49 age group, BUT I swear I couldn't get up the steps for 3 days afterward!  I wasn't quite as ready as I thought I was <g>.  Stuck with 5Ks for the next year.  My biggest accomplishment this year wasn't even a race.  I ran from Morris to Seneca, which is over 10 and a half miles.  I'm hoping by some time next year to run a half-marathon.  Not setting a time goal or anything, just wanting to finish one!

May 30, 2007
    8. Dec 5, 2009 8:23 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi All!  I just finished my SECOND 5k!  It was the Savannah River Bridge Run!  1.4 miles of bridge with a 5.5% incline.  Last year there were 4000 participants, I don't know about this year yet.

I finished in 35:38.  That's only 1 minute above my PR.

This was my first race with a BIG crowd!  It was SO EXCITING!!!  Santa was in a cherry picker at the start line & he blew the horn to start.  The crowd was great despite the rain & the cold (50 is cold in Savannah:-).

I can't wait for next year to do it again!!!!!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/ththExercisegirl.gif?t=1261365530http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o2/PenAimie/thCGBANNER.jpg?t=1258811316 livin' in Savannah, GA

• bulkster Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 25, 2009
    9. Dec 5, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Looks like this is for women only, so I will break the barrier :-).  I'm 62 and just started running again Oct. 11th.  Have run before and just didn't have the time last 10 years, but now I do.  I'm in the stage of just trying to build up some distance and not running for any speed yet, ( stay injury free ).  I have entered my first 5K ever for Jan. 2nd and will be happy with anything in the 29:00 range.  In the past ( 30 yrs ago ) I ran 10K's, but never a 5K.    I have only timed 1 run so far, 2.5 mile time was 32:05 and I was just running, no speed sprints during the run.  Around 12/15 I will start trying to increase the pace.

That's my plan, will let you know.  I do have past experiences to fall back on.

If there are 2 things I would say,

• Go for slow runs and increase your distance gradually, I just noticed I went from a weekly total of 7.3 miles to 9.7 miles to 13.7 miles in the last 2 weeks ( it felt food, no pains ) but that is too much, you can't ( shouldn't double your mileage in just 2 weeks.  This week I dropped back to 10.5 miles.  Don't worry about speed except in your races, and then let your body tell you what to run.
    • Get some type of a breathing rythem established during your training runs.  Once you do it will become habit, and you will automatically increase your speed without trying, you will finish your runs, take a couple of deep breaths and not even be panting.  "trust  me"

Good luck to all, training is just that, running a race is for time.  later.....

Bulkster

May 30, 2007
    10. Dec 5, 2009 9:21 AM (in response to bulkster)

Hi Bulkster!  Welcome & Thanks for the tips!

I am VERY new to this & I keep all of the "tips for newbies" in the back of my mind & draw on them as needed.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Penny

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

running roadrunner.jpgThanks everyone for the tips, but I need to let you know that the Half Marathon i signed up for is a run/walk marathon and I just need to be able to complete it in 4 hours.  There's no way on earth I would even think about a Marathon whole or half if I had to run the whole thing. Not at this point anyway.  I walked in the Susan G. Komen last year and it was 20 miles a day for 3 days and I did fine so if I have to walk 13 miles I think I can do it.  I just signed up for my first 5 K run in March. I wanted to do one sooner but can't find anything close by.  I will just use the time for training.  I am very excited Once again thanks for the tips. 

Becky

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...