Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3849 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 12:14 PM by GretaPRat Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 7, 2007 3:20 AM (in response to GeekRunner081)
    Re: how do you run on ice patches?

I bet studs bit into the ice more then flat screw ends, but I have never used screw shoes. What you prefer to use is up to personal preferences. I have used my orienteering shoes now for 4 years and no signs of wearing. Not bad.

• Currently Being Moderated
    16. Dec 7, 2007 3:33 AM (in response to GeekRunner081)

About wearing out the shoes. I weight only 65kg, I have run whole my life. My summer shoes last for 22 months. I run apprx.25-35 miles per week. So maybe I do not wear shoes out so much.

But as overall orienteering shoes do not wear as quickly as normal running shoes. Mostly because they are made to last heavy wear during the forest runs. I dare to say that even for heavier runner orienteering shoes last many years if done only winter running in roads and trails.

That way the cost is not that bad for a year.

• reefer084 Rookie 67 posts since
    Jan 19, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. Dec 7, 2007 12:16 PM (in response to GeekRunner081)

The roads I run on are dry 90% of the route, but there is the occasional melted snow that drips/runs out a couple feet into the road and re-freezes.  It's usually thin and smooth and tough to spot.

I would seem overkill to use screw shoes or similar type devices.  The reality is I have to see it to avoid it and as a result it's kept me from night running.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    18. Dec 6, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to GeekRunner081)

Slip-ons / strap-on devices are heavy, uncomfortable and not runner friendly.

Screw shoes work on mixed surface very well -- we have A LOT of black ice around here.  I had used those for several seasons with the only drawback being how quickly they wear out (about 1 week).

I found a great solution last year called Icespike ( http://icespike.net ) -- mine lasted the whole winter (in NH that is 4+ months!).  I also saw them at an EMS store last weekend, if you would rather see in person.  This is the first product that I have found that keeps me outside in the winter rather than on my treadmill!!

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    19. Dec 7, 2009 1:29 AM (in response to GeekRunner081)

Slowing down and a head lamp are the tricks that have worked best for me so far.  Balance helps but isn't everything... some spots are just plain tricky to run on.  I have tried YakTrax but found them not to be effective in spots.  I saw a product this year that I am going to try- Stabilicers... looks to be a winner... but I am not sure yet.

• Paula Hunter Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    20. Dec 7, 2009 2:21 PM (in response to GeekRunner081)

We run weekly hill sessions at night with headlamps.    We pick a long and quiet road.  First pass up you access the road conditions and adjust accordingly (pretty rare for us to need the Yaktracks on these runs in NH).  

Great alternative to tempo runs, and depending on the hill, 10 repeats make for a very good workout.   We warm up ahead of time running easy on the roads, same after.

• GretaPRat Amateur 23 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    21. Dec 11, 2009 12:14 PM (in response to GeekRunner081)

I also run before the sun comes up, and I carry a flashlight!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...