Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

670 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2009 11:35 AM by NH_Runner
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2007 10:32 PM

Is it possible to run safely in the snow and ice?

I'm on W5D2 and running in cold, icy weather.  Any suggestions on running safely in the snow/sleet/ice or should I head indoors to avoid the inevitable fall?

• figbash Amateur 600 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2007 11:00 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Is it possible to run safely in the snow and ice?

Absolutely.

I've run year round here in Michigan for the last six years in everything from knee deep snow to freezing rain to -10F temperatures and only fallen once. I find that I'm less likely to fall while running than while walking on slippery surfaces. The reason is that slippery conditions force a shorter stride which keeps your center of gravity under your body rather than out in front like when you walk.

There are lots of threads this time of year on dressing for the cold but basically you need to wear multiple layers of wicking type running clothes and dress as though it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. Moisture is your enemy so it's better to under dress than over dress. Also, wearing anything made of cotton next to your skin is a big no no. It will get wet and conduct heat away from your body.

Tom

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• Bodacious Pro 653 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    2. Dec 4, 2007 3:48 AM (in response to Guest )

I do it  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    Depending on conditions I am between a minute and 3 minutes a mile slower than I am on dry pavement so don't get upset if some speed disappears!
    I wear a lot of the Under Armor Cold Gear products and on my shoes I have been using something called Get A Grip Ultras, they slip over bottom of running shoes for extra grip, they have worked fine so far.
    My winter runs up here in Alaska have been some of if not the best of my runs to date.
    I will take being outside over running on the treadmill anyday 

Dream Big Always :)

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 4, 2007 6:43 AM (in response to Guest )

If snow and ice make footing difficult, I'll sometimes find a short, flat loop away from traffic (I've got a few that range from a third of a mile to about 2K), and go round and round on there.  I call it my outdoor treadmill.  It's boring, but not nearly as bad as the indoor variety.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 4, 2007 8:22 AM (in response to Guest )

Like others said - layer up, dress well and you'll be fine. Last winter was my first winter as a runner (Northern OH) and the weather didn't really interfere with my training at all.

For the snow/ice I use yaktrax. Here's another common solution:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

• SimonR Amateur 125 posts since
    May 9, 2007
    6. Dec 4, 2007 4:03 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran this Sunday in a covered car park, open on 3 sides so it wasn't any warmer, but at least it wasn't slippery.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    7. Dec 6, 2009 11:35 AM (in response to Guest )

As an Orthopaedic Surgeon in NH, I frequently see the result of falls from runners, walkers, hikers and driveway shovelers, etc.

As a runner who hates to be inside on the treadmill who lives in s state with 4+ months of black ice I have experimented with many different strap-on devices and screw shoes.  I found the strap-ons too bulky and heavy for tempo or long runs.  Screw shoes worked much better but wear out very quickly (<1 week depending on mileage and conditions).

Last year I found an awesome solution -- Icespike ( http://icespike.net ).  Hardened steel cleats / spikes for your favorite shoes.  My set lasted the whole season.  Inexpensive, comfortable and superlightweight.  Nothing can make black ice perfectly safe, but this is by far the best option out there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...