Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

274353 Views 1,883 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 10:34 AM by RabidBear RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 126 Previous Next
  • fiveandone Amateur 16 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Dec 1, 2009 10:52 AM (in response to ZenBear)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Well, I'm starting C25K over. I got as far as W2D2 and did great. But, with the Thanksgiving holiday and family coming into town with little notice, I allowed myself to get distracted and hadn't run since the 23rd. So, last night I did W1D1 and pretty much breezed right through it. I was pretty surprised at how much easier it was this time. Does anyone think it would be OK to run every other day right through W2D3 instead of running three days a week for two weeks? I would then go back to running three times a week beginning with W3D1. Has anyone ran every other day all the way through the C25K program? I wouldn't dream of even attempting it but for some reason was just wondering if anyone had.

• Megnetic Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    181. Dec 1, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to fiveandone)

Fiveandone, I've run every other day most of the way through the program.  I think it's important to have a rest day, but I don't think the two day rest is essential.  It's worked for me anyway

Good luck Zenbear!  Don't worry if you need a walk break or two.

Meg

Meg

• GoslingGal Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 11, 2009
    182. Dec 1, 2009 5:40 PM (in response to fiveandone)

I did the C25K program this summer with a group of women and a "coach".  We ran outside on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings as a group (on a track at a middle school in town) and then we were to run by ourselves on Saturday.  It worked well for us.  We ran for time not distance.

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    183. Dec 4, 2009 11:28 AM (in response to GoslingGal)

whoo hoo!! this 54 year old woman just completed week 6 and did the 25 minutes without stopping!! There were a couple of times I slowed it down but never stopped moving! I am amazed at the accomplishment in 6 weeks....finally giving me the confidence to believe in myself that this goal is attainable....Looking forward with a smile!!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    184. Dec 4, 2009 12:03 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Just wondering if anyone here is over 60? Like me...

My husband and I just completed Week 5--we've been doing C2K longer than 5 weeks, we repeated a week or two. Anyway...when we started I could barely run the 60 min! Today I ran  20 min straight through. Twenty minutes.  Wow. Up and down some hills, no less. I'm amazed to have done that.  Again...wow!

Lin

• never2l8 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 1, 2009
    186. Dec 4, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Congratulations!!  I just finished week 6 as well....just about an hour ago!  I have had a few setbacks with an achy knee so I took it easy for about 10 days.  This week I did W6D2 twice and tonight I did my 25 minute run...without stopping!  I am amazed I can do it.  I use the treadmill at the gym so I know that it ran 1.93 miles in the 25 minutes.  I have a ways to go to get to 3 miles in 30 minutes.  I hope to run outside this weekend, weather permitting.  I am hoping I can run faster outdoors too.  Anyway, I think the C25K is a great program.  My advice to anyone is to take it easy when you have to. It is easy to get back on track and don't worry if you have to repeat a day or a week.  I have done that a couple of times.  I have set my sites onmy first 5K in March so I have plenty of time to perfect my speed.  Right now i am just working on the time!

Good luck to all and happy running!!!

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    187. Dec 5, 2009 6:13 PM (in response to Linda48170)

W8 D1

Lin,

I am 66 and on W 8 of the C25K. Even though I hadn't completed the program, I did my first 5K on Thanksgving. I wasn't able to run the whole thing but I did run for about 1/2 and walked some.

Now it depends on how you look at it..I either finished 2nd in my age/sex group or I finished last.  (Actually there were only 2 women in my age group.)

I am very excited about the challenge. I am having some knee problem but I am hoping to get back to completing the program as soon as the knee is better.

All the  best of luck. (When I run, I do not feel 66)

aprillilly
  • susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    188. Dec 6, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to aprillilly)

Week 7 Day 1 done today! Interesting morning for me..woke up to temps 28-31 degrees which is fine I enjoy running in the cold BUT winds are not my friend....found myself mentally starting to make excuses why I shouldn't go run today, then I started thinking of my 3 friends who are either running 7 mile relays or running the whole 26 miles of the California International Marathon today in our town....what could I say, they got up in this weather and are doing THAT!! Surely I can do 3 miles LOL!! No excuses...done!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

Apr 13, 2009
    189. Dec 6, 2009 2:31 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Aprillilly,

Good for you, running in the Thanksgiving 5K.  At 66! We babyboomer 60-somethings are not like 60-somethings used to be! At least the ones from my past that I remember. Do you find that to be true?

Anyway, running is fun and I'm looking forward to running in a 5K myself one day in the not too distant future. With that in mind, we start week 6 of the couch to 5K plan tomorrow.

Good luck to you and to everyone here who is out there running! Reading your comments is inspiring.

Lin

• jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    190. Dec 6, 2009 6:44 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi... I am 52 and started the Couch 2 5K plan at the end of September. I am a few weeks behind where I should be because I decided to repeat week four before moving onto five, and repeat each day of five before moving on to the next day. I just completed Day three of week six today...the 25 minute run. I made it through with no problems at all. I am losing weight, feeling bettr, my blood pressure is down and my blood sugar is down (I'm a Type 2 diabetic).

Going to start Week 7 on Tuesday!

Jim

• CudaGuy Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 10, 2009
    191. Dec 7, 2009 8:49 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Well, I finally got past the plateu, I did 25 min this morning, I run outside in the Gfand Rapids Mi area, snow on the ground, paved plowed mega church parking lot, about 1 mile aound it. Nice are for outdoor running in the winter, beautiful outside. This morning while running, I thought much about my sister-in-law who was diagnosed with extreamly rapid growing brain cancer, 3 little kids, but blessed with much faith. Also thought about Dad, who entered the hospital this morning, not sure of his outcome yet. reminds one of the important things in life, God, family, and health. So...., have and live a personal relationship with you Savior, express your love for your family to them, especially in this season, and keep heathy, run, run, and run more.

Rog

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    192. Dec 7, 2009 9:00 AM (in response to CudaGuy)

Hello runners!

I ran my first 5K Saturday morning in 28 degree temps! That is cold for the South! I was able to run most of the race, but walked when I needed to and I had an official time of 39:13! I was really surprised when I got this time since the course was almost all uphillwhich I did not expect since our downtown area is realtively flat. The race directors obviously tried to find a route that was challenging and they did!

I took 1st place in my age group of 55-59!!! Gooooooooooo Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am really proud of myself and plan to continue on with my C25K program and then continue to work on my time and endurance so that I can run all of the 5K in the spring and maybe even look to a 8K or 10K I am in love with this sport!

I completed W4D2 this morning!  It was really easy after the 5K Saturday!

Lin! Congrats to you! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

Jim! Congratulations to you also!

Rog! We have so much to be thankful for don't we.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• RADiep Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    193. Dec 7, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to CudaGuy)

How long did it take you to get past your plateau? I feel like I have hit a wall....keep repeating Week 6.  I tried running outside in GR area, and did terrible :-( Too many hills in my neighborhood, I think. And now it's too cold! Congrats on running outside.

Apr 13, 2009
    194. Dec 7, 2009 9:30 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Rog...amen to what you said about the important things in life...God, family, health!

Mimi...congrats on running your first 5K in 28-degree temp! Way to go.

This morning my husband and I started Week 6, and it was pretty cold here too, though not 28 degrees.  Maybe 30 something. I live in NC...anyway we did great, running around the neighborhood and came back all warmed up. 

I'm thinking about the last day of week 6 and the 25 minute run. yikes.

Hope everyone here has a really good today. 

Lin

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 126 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...