Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5710 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2009 6:57 PM by aprillilly RSS
FeelsSoGood2 Pro 107 posts since
Feb 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2009 6:33 PM

How many days without running before losing fitness

I have recenty come down with a chest cold that has inhibited me rom running for the last 3-4 days.  I am a mess thinking I am going to lose fitness, but if I go out and try to run, my chest is killing me and I have been so run down. Realistically, how long can someone go before they start to lose fitness? I am panicked but need to get well.

~continue to look ahead towards the goal and enjoy yourself getting closer~

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Don't worry about it.  Get healthy first.  The cold will cost you more than the layoff.  Keep in mind the basic rule: if it's below the neck, or you have a fever, don't run.  You will lose some fitness over a couple weeks.  But you'll also be recovering from the cold.  When you start back, take it easy for a couple weeks, to give your body and your lungs time to recover.

Len

Len

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007

yes you`ll lose some fitness - but you`ll get it back

Bottom line is forcing yourself out there while sick is doing nothing more than prolonging the chest cold

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I just happened to read about this last night in Galloway's book.  Here's what he says.

Rest Time Without               Estimated % of

Any Exercise                       Conditioning Lost

1-5 days                                  0-1%

7 Days                                     10%

14 Days                                   35%

Remember this is with NO EXERCISE at all.  So in reality you shouldn't loose hardly any conditioning by resting for your chest cold.

Hope you feel better soon!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

In December 2007, I lost three weeks to a sprained ankle. I'd lost a little bit of fitness, but it only took me a week or so to get back close to where I was prior to the injury. I was still working on building my base mileage, as I'd only started running in late June/early July.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Better to lose a little bit of fitness while recovering from illness properly than to lose a bunch more by pushing yourself, as the others above have said.

Get well soon!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009

I was on W8 D2 of C25k and now have an inflamed knee. I have only started running in September for the first time. My knee started hurting a few weeks go and  tried to ignore it. I ran/walked in a Thanksgiving Race..finished the race but could no longer ignore the knee..Doctor said not to run for a month.Runnig has been such an incredible challenge for me..was loving it..Hope to start again in a few weeks.

aprillilly

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...