Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1452 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 11:11 PM by BanffRunner75 RSS
topher004 Rookie 19 posts since
Oct 30, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2007 8:50 PM

snow packed roads/sidewalks

let me start off by saying that i really dont mind the cold or snow which i have run through almost every night this year (from a foot of snow to -20F)....but i am finding that my right leg is getting more sore the more i continue to run on these uneven snow covered roads and sidewalks.  so here's the dilemma: i'm at week 5 in a 26 week training program and i am scheduled to run 12 as my long run.......can i afford to just do longer runs every other day to keep my mileage up so i dont have to constantly run on this slush/snow/ice everyday?  are there any disadvantages to this, at least for the next week or two until maybe some of the snow/ice/slush is cleared? 

sorry for the long post.....but anyone else dealing with this or do training every-other-day like this during the winter?  by the way, i hate running treadmills indoors.

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    1. Jan 31, 2007 9:14 PM (in response to topher004)
    Re: snow packed roads/sidewalks

Here is what I do and it is very cheap and works like a charm on slick/icy/snowy streets.  Go buy 2-3 packs of "1/4 inch" hex screws and put 10-15 in the forefoot of each shoe and spread out on the heal of each shoe.  And they are short enough that they don't push up into the soul of your shoe.

They work like a gem.

• Coastwalker Legend 384 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Feb 1, 2007 8:27 AM (in response to topher004)

I don't like treadmills either, so I workout outside, or not at all. I don't know why your right leg is getting sore, and not the left. But if it is more than just a minor problem, you might want to consider backing off from your workout frequency/intensity until it heals completely. Running with an injury, especially in difficult conditions such as on slippery snow, will often result in the injury getting worse and keeping you off the roads for longer. Don't worry so much about your weekly mileage if the conditions are too dangerous for a good run. If you have a lot of snow, try cross training with snow shoes or cross-country skis.

If the problem is poor footing in the snow, try YakTraks. They just slip over the bottom of your shoes and give you good extra traction.

Good luck!

Jay

• benyshs Rookie 26 posts since
    Jul 1, 2004
    3. Feb 1, 2007 10:32 AM (in response to topher004)

Be careful on the uneven snow.  I got hurt last year running and stepping wrong on some frozen footprints.  I ended up hurting some tendons on the outside of my foot and essentially twisted an ankle 4 miles from home.  That took a while to clear up. 

So, see if the local college allows you to run on their indoor track. Ours does without a fee (it used to be $2, but it was not used enough to have someone sit there to collect the $$). I do that when weather is bad or when I want to try a new pair of shoes to return or when I just need a break from the cold/dark.

Also, look at running in the street, as that is usually clearer than the sidewalks.

----

Susan

"Mama, you run like a fish" -- Sam, 3 1/2 My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• COcarrie Rookie 396 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    4. Feb 1, 2007 3:06 PM (in response to topher004)

Oh man, can I relate!  I am in Denver and we are having an unusually snowy winter this year.  Like you, I don't care how cold it is but the ice is another story altogether.  Treadmills are just incredibly hard for me to deal with for more than maybe 45 minutes....even that is a stretch! 

I was training for a half marathon until I fell HARD on some ice in early January and had to cut back significantly on my mileage, totally messing up my training plan.  I have Yaktrax and they are great for the packed snow and ice but it is still quite challenging on the uneven roads and trails.  All the icy ruts and bumps slows me down considerably and is just plain hard!!! 

To answer your original question though, yes, I think every other day running is reasonable and that's what I've been trying to do even if my longest run lately is only about 7 miles. You're not going to lose much fitness. For that matter, I ran exactly ONE time in a week a couple weeks ago and was fine on my next run which was about 6 miles. It even felt really great after that rest. (But maybe that was more in my head!)

Hopefully we'll get some decent melt here in a few weeks.... I can't wait!
    Carrie

----

ME[/URL" target="_blank">

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    5. Dec 10, 2009 9:17 PM (in response to topher004)

I am a clydesdale marathoner / runner / triathlete and Orthopaedic Surgeon in NH.  I used the sheet metal screws ("Screw Shoes") for many years but found they wore out very quickly (e.g. 1 long run) but were still much more comfortable and lighter than the strap-on systems.  I found Icespike last year and have been thrilled ( http://icespike.net ) -- one set lasted the whole year (well over 400 miles).  They are also a different shape than the hex screws to shed debris and have a sharpened edge cut in to the ice.  By far the best option out there IMHO.

Good Luck!!

• BanffRunner75 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 10, 2009
    6. Dec 10, 2009 11:11 PM (in response to topher004)

I have tried Yaks but they didn't stay on, and one actually broke within a week.  I started using the Icespike system last winter and it worked like a charm.  It was cheaper, had better traction, and lasted all winter (they outlasted my shoes!).  I tried the regular screws once but they wore down after 3 runs or so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...