Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1898 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 2:43 PM by spicegeek
Tuuula Rookie 12 posts since
Aug 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2009 7:47 AM

Snow

How does on stay motivated and safe on the streets (no sidewalks) of NH?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 25, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to Tuuula)
    Re: Snow

I can't speak to staying safe on the streets of New Hampshire, but in Buffalo it's mostly a matter of visibility (when running in the dark) and traction.

In terms of visibility, my thinking is that if the astronauts on the International Space Station aren't calling down to ask what the slow-moving bright spot in the Northeast United States is, then I'm not lit up well enough. My typical kit includes two strobes (one clipped to the front of my fuel belt or jacket, the other clipped to the back of my shirt collar), a reflective vest (I have an Amphipod Xinglet), and a small LED flashlight. I also have a reflective Brooks Nightlife hat that I'll typically wear in the morningsand a reflective Brooks Nightlife jacket that I'll wear in the rain or cool -- not cold -- weather. My neighbor commented the other day on how easy I am to spot when I'm out running, so I figure that's a good thing.

As far as traction goes, I don't tend to worry too much about it in the snow. Most snow in my area isn't too slippery; it's more hazardous when it's slushy. When it's icy, though, I rely on my Get-A-Grip Ultras. Others have reported good success with YakTrax, and I've had my eye on the Stabilicers sports. The YakTrax provide traction via a steel spring wrapped around a rubbery framework that fits over the bottom of your shoes. The Stabilicers and Get-A-Grips use small metal cleats.

Still other folks just take short hex-screws and drill them into the bottom of some nearly-ready-to-retire shoes and use those. Positive reports for those as well.

For me, motivation comes from having a marathon scheduled in Cleveland on May 17. Run now or suffer in May, I guess.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• armywife213 Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 10, 2009
    2. Mar 10, 2009 10:56 AM (in response to Tuuula)

I use the reflective vests that soldiers use durin pt. im highly visible.

i took a friends newborn on a 2.5 mile walk with hills, and bc the the sidewalks dont sloop in the driveways on the army base, its hard to use a stoller on the sidewalks, so i was walkin on the road with steep hills with the best visible.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    3. Dec 11, 2009 2:17 PM (in response to Tuuula)

I am also in NH looking out the window at another winter upon us --

* Motivation = race entry fee receipt on the 'fridge (this year it is the New Orleans 70.3 Ironman in APRIL -- talk about having to keep up winter mileage!).

* VISIBILITY -- I like Don's description best.  Cars always win encounters with runners!

* Best traction system out there for runners is Icespike -- lighter and more durable than strap-on traction devices for running in winter (ice, snow,etc.) -- similar idea to hex-screw shoes (spikes grip a little better and last many times as long as the hardware store sheet metal screws.  You can get them at any EMS store (just got mine for this year before last weekend's snow storm) or online at http://icespike.net .

Hope this helps!!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Dec 11, 2009 2:43 PM (in response to dwm082)

"In terms of visibility, my thinking is that if the astronauts on the International Space Station aren't calling down to ask what the slow-moving bright spot in the Northeast United States is, then I'm not lit up well enough."

Don - thats priceless !!

For me - I run at lunchtime or just take my running indoors if I must - you can work on speed work on the treadmill - play with increasing the pace every mile then back down - you can run 2 or 3 miles - bike for 10 mins - run 2 or 3 miles - you can get the long runs in without resorting to shooting yourself in the head to releive the boredom if you are a little creative !!

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...