Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1165 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 2:22 PM by NH_Runner RSS
Newbeak2 Rookie 7 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2007 5:33 PM

Stuck at week 3

I am on the Couch Potato to 5 K program,and seem stuck at the week 3 level-that 3 minute run,especially the last,is a real ordeal.I am running as slow as possible,but the last two outings were so hard I almost threw in the towel.Any tips from members would be appreciated.By the way,it has been cold here,-25 to -30.I am running on hard packed snow,and use that old trick of putting 1/4" hex head screws in the bottom of some old runners for traction.

thanks!  

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2007 2:02 AM (in response to Newbeak2)
    Re: Stuck at week 3

Running in the cold is more demanding.  Just walk it and keep at it until you can do the distance.

If you can find an indoor track at a high school or gym, or a shopping mall that encourages walkers and runners, or YMCA, you might want to try that.  Do you have access to a treadmill?

Instead of "modified" running shoes, you might try snow shoes.

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    3. Dec 11, 2009 2:22 PM (in response to Newbeak2)
    Re: Stuck at week 3

NewBeak2 --

I hope that your training is going well.  I agree that the "studded" running shoes work great.  However, mine seemed to wear out very quickly (1 long run if there is any dry pavement).  Here is an upgrade that lasted the entire season last year -- Icespike ( http://icespike.net ) -- hardened steel screws for durability.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...