Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4509 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2010 1:03 PM by PeteJoneseu RSS 1 2 Previous Next
GOLFNSKI Rookie 104 posts since
Oct 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2007 11:25 PM

Yaktrax

I'm excited for winter!  Anyone ever try Yaktrax Pros?  I've read reviews that they wear out real fast.  I'm a little sceptical about how it might feel to have these coils under my running shoes.  What has been your experience?

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. Oct 4, 2007 6:49 AM (in response to GOLFNSKI)
    Re: Yaktrax

I have Yaktrax and have only used them once and thought they were great, however, i ran solely on ice/hard packed snow, no pavement.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 4, 2007 10:44 AM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

Got 'em, love 'em

• lakerunr Amateur 151 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    3. Oct 4, 2007 4:19 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

Got 'em. Hate 'em. Want 'em? You can have 'em.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

They kill my feet, are atrocious on pavement, and just a general pain in the...

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    4. Oct 4, 2007 5:30 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

quote:

Originally posted by lstall:

Got 'em. Hate 'em. Want 'em? You can have 'em. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

They kill my feet, are atrocious on pavement, and just a general pain in the...

I have them as well but have only used with with boots on ice while fishing.  Would you expect them to work on snow covered trails, or would it be too soft for the small coils to get any grip?

• lakerunr Amateur 151 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    5. Oct 5, 2007 8:16 AM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

I didn't notice any appreciable advantage on snow-covered trails.

• run50096 Amateur 50 posts since
    May 24, 2004
    6. Oct 7, 2007 9:21 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

I've had two pairs over three winters in Norther Wisconsin. They work great and I've done several 6-8 mile runs in them.  Highly recommended if you get ice and snow.

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    8. Oct 9, 2007 6:21 AM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

oh i was going to recommend screw shoes, it does work very well. if you are too cheap for yak tracks, just do that to your old shoes.

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    10. Oct 15, 2007 6:31 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

I live in Montana and have used my YakTrax several times.  Initially, they felt weird on my feet but I quickly forgot about them once I got going. I definitely felt more safe using them but still had to becareful on pure ice. I have not tried anything else for traction but feel the YakTrax are definitely better than nothing if you are worried about slipping and falling.

----

choover[/URL" target="_blank">

• trifecta082 Rookie 57 posts since
    Nov 6, 2006
    11. Oct 16, 2007 12:25 AM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

I made a pair of screw shoes last winter and they were phenomenal on sheet ice, frozen slush, crusty snow, and work on stretches of plain pavement too (although they make a lot of noise).  With a pair of screw shoes you could run on an ice rink without a single slip or misstep.

It takes about $1.50 worth of sheet metal screws, access to a drill or electric screwdriver, and about 15 minutes. Use an older pair of shoes or even new ones because you can take the screws out at the end of the season and the shoes aren't damaged at all.

I haven't tried any of the commercial products but screw shoes are so easy, cheap, and effective that I'd never have the need.

• Pete O'Boyle Amateur 74 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    12. Oct 25, 2007 12:13 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

Wouldn't a pair of good trail shoes work nearly as well? Are trail shoes worth investing in?

• NH_Runner Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    14. Dec 11, 2009 2:32 PM (in response to GOLFNSKI)

I never found the strap-on versions very helpful and certainly not comfortable.  The screw shoes (sheet metal screws) work great, much better than YakTrax but wear out quickly -- 1 long run if there is some dry pavement.  Best option out there for running on packed snow and ice is Icespike -- http://icespike.net -- hardened steel screws that last much longer (1 set lasted me the season last year).  Great traction, light weight, durable.

Hope this helps!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...