Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8029 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2009 12:17 PM by Bauer05 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Bauer05 Amateur 35 posts since
Nov 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2009 11:36 AM

I CAN Do This!! (Started 12/6)

Hi everyone, my name is Tammy and I am a 34 year old busy mother of 2.  I have never been an athlete and running was definetly something I could never do!!  As soon as I'd start running my legs suddenly felt like big heavy tree trunks and could only last a minute at best.     I started the C25K last week and was pleasently surprised at how well I did!!  Yah for me!!  I live in Canada, so running outside at this time of year is impossible unless I want a severe case of frostbite, so treadmill it is.  I am starting W2 today and am actually excited about it and looking forward to the challenge.  For those of you that are using a treadmill, I am curious as to what speed you are walking/running at??  I suppose I was afraid of pushing myself too hard at first and failing so I have been walking at 3.2 and running at 4mph and figure I can run for speed later on once I get comfortable with this whole 'running' thing.  Hope that I will find a lot of motivation here on this site and meet some newbie runners just like me!!  Anyone else starting W2 today and would like to buddy up??  Happy holidays everyone!!

Tammy 

• gig0812 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 13, 2009
    1. Dec 13, 2009 10:19 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: Can I really do this??!!??

You sure can!!!  I'm a single mother of one, and when I started getting in shape last year, I could barely walk two miles without getting cramps in my legs.  So much for staying in shape with a desk job.     I finished my first 5k just this month with an 11 minute per mile pace.  Slowly but surely!  LOL  What is W2?

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Dec 13, 2009 10:25 AM (in response to Bauer05)

I think my first attempts at running on the treatmill were about 4 or 4.5 mph - that was about 2.5 years ago - I ran the NYC in just over 4 hours last month ... you can do anything you focus your mind on

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• 4mamasboys Pro 114 posts since
    Nov 16, 2009
    4. Dec 13, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Bauer05)

Heck yeah you can do it!  I've had my doubts and my share of challenges already but I've managed to figure each thing out and move forward.  And please don't run for speed.  Speed will come later!  I currently "run" at a 4.5MPH, walk at 3.5.

Rachael (Rae)-newly single mama to four wild and precious boys

Running my ass off (literally!) one pound at a time.  53lbs to go...

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    5. Dec 14, 2009 7:54 AM (in response to Bauer05)

Hi Tammy,

I'm starting W2 tomorrow.  W1 was actually enjoyable!  I was an all-star athlete in high school then I went to college....need I say more?  lol  Anyway, I'm getting back into shape with the C25K.  I'm also doing weight training on the days I don't run...so far I'm at the gym 6 days a week (whew!).  I also run on the treadmill.  I started off at 4.5-5.0mph runs but now I'm up to 6.0mph.  I have the advantage of having quads that won't quit, my lower body is very muscular.  I also increase the inclines to about 3.5 at the last 30 seconds of my runs just to really push myself.  I downloaded some podcasts and I've found those are great to keep you going!  Good luck!  We can all do this!

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 14, 2009 8:32 AM (in response to Bauer05)

Just to add another voice to the chorus: Yes, you can!

Like spicegeek, I started running about two years ago. I weighed in around the 245-250 lb range (I'm a 5'8" guy, and I didn't carry it especially well). I completed c25k between the beginning of July and the middle of September 2007, completing my first 5k at the end of September. Since then, I've completed three marathons, a 19.2 mile trail race (including a run up and down a mountain), two half-marathons, a 15k, three 8ks, and a mess of 5ks.

All of that from a guy who couldn't make it to his second floor apartment without getting winded on the stairs.

If I can do it, you can too!

Also: don't worry about the speed. Just go as fast as you can while still being able to talk in short sentences (maybe a half-dozen words or so at a time). Any faster and you probably won't be able to maintain the pace. Any slower and you won't build your fitness as much as you could. When in doubt, though, err on the side of going slower -- you're less likely to get injured or give up. Speed will come with time.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• rcktgirl05 Pro 83 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    7. Dec 14, 2009 11:51 AM (in response to dwm082)

Yep you can definitely do it!  I'm 35, single mom, and currently on Week 8.  When I started two months ago, Week one was pretty easy because I'm fairly active but Week 2 was a whole other story.  Running for 90 seconds was VERY difficult for me and as I read that sentence I just typed it makes me chuckle to myself.  I ran for 28 minutes this morning.  No one could have convinced me two months ago that I would actually be able to complete the program!  It definitely works, just stick to it... the hardest part in my opinion is getting out of bed early to go run!  Also, don't push it if you feel like you can go further.  The body definitely needs time to adjust to impact of running.  So, yep... you can definitely do it... Good luck!!

Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible.

Completed C25K 12-19-09

CTCA 5k Feb '10... 39:45

Completed C25K (again) June 2011

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Jan '12... 2:53 PR! (Every first is a PR right?)

Litchfield Park Friends of Rec 10K Mar '12 1:09:25 PR!?

Upcoming:

Peoria Pioneer Days 5k 4/14/12

Pat's Run 4.2 Mile benefitting Pat Tillman Foundation 4/21/12

• run4theblue Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 4, 2009
    8. Dec 14, 2009 3:21 PM (in response to Bauer05)

Tammy,

I, too, am a beginner with my first 5K in mid-January in the Houston Chevron Marathon. I am a Clydesdale runner being 6' and 230lbs and not the fastest horse on the track, I assure you. I rarely run on the treadmill, but when I do, it is at 4mph. That is plenty fast enough to keep my heartrate up and that is my objective. I say run at what speed you are comfortable at not what someone else runs. I am fortunate to live in the deep south where winter runs are perfect running days. But with you living in Canada, you might be on that treadmill quite often. Just find that speed you are comfortable with and bump it up a little each week to progress until the weather improves and you can hit the road again. Happy running!

Pick em up, put em down...repeat until finished!

• rcktgirl05 Pro 83 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    10. Dec 15, 2009 8:37 AM (in response to Bauer05)

One more little piece of advice... I never EVER felt ready to move on to the next week when I reached the end of a week.  But I told myself that I would start out on the new week schedule and then revert back if I had some huge problem.  And miraculously... I was ALWAYS able to move on and do the next week!  Repeat weeks if you have to, but always try to move on first.  Your body will surprise you every week, I guarantee it!

Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible.

Completed C25K 12-19-09

CTCA 5k Feb '10... 39:45

Completed C25K (again) June 2011

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Jan '12... 2:53 PR! (Every first is a PR right?)

Litchfield Park Friends of Rec 10K Mar '12 1:09:25 PR!?

Upcoming:

Peoria Pioneer Days 5k 4/14/12

Pat's Run 4.2 Mile benefitting Pat Tillman Foundation 4/21/12

• Anepasor Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 16, 2009
    12. Dec 16, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to Bauer05)

I never thought I could run a 5K.  I started running on the treadmill in late June.  I'd signed myself up for a 5K as a goal for October 2009.  I would get up at 5 a.m. run on the treadmill for 30 minutes on my own program that was similar to c25k; every other day.  It was tough at first, but that time of the morning is the only time I had to work out, so that I could then get 3 kids ready for school/daycare and off to work.  My hubby travels a lot, so I had to tackle this new schedule and activity on my own.

I didn't think I could do it because as a female, I was/am obese at 219 lbs when I started running.  I couldn't use the excuse of being post partum because the baby was approaching 1-year-old in October.  I have lost 14 lbs from the start until today.  I have a lot more to lose, but I am happy with my new, active self.  I have a goal to do 1 race per month in 2010.  Mostly 5K, but hope to increase to a 10K later in the year. I've also incorporated 30 Day Shred DVD and Pilates and Yoga DVDs for more activity; especially flexibility.

You can read my story here:

http://purly-qs.blogspot.com/2009/10/race.html

I recommend getting through the program and getting yourself to running consecutive minutes, then work on your speed and hills after you've completed the c25k. If you are planning to run a 5K, then after you've completed the program, I would recommend that you run 3.1 miles at least one day a week for your 5K training.

I wish you the best of luck in training.

• S Jervan Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 17, 2009
    13. Dec 17, 2009 7:10 PM (in response to Bauer05)

Hey there!  This is my first reply and I am so excited to see others out there working against the odds and pushing themselves to do more, even when the fears seem overwhelming.  I have been a runner off and on for years, and have always wanted to run a marathon...this next year will be it.  It's cold here too, and my work schedule often throws a wrench in even my best laid plans!  I figure the treadmill is better than nothing at this point.  And for the aches and pains...I am reading a book called "The Non-runners Marathon book"....I think that's what it's called...at any rate, one of the suggestions that I use is that when you're running and you start to feel a pain or a cramp coming on, rather than fuss about it, welcome it.  So now, to my cramp in the right side that comes on, or the tinge of pain in my left knee, "Hello cramp, come run with me.", or "Hello knee pain, come run with me."...it makes me smile and off we go, running together.  I don't know why, but it works!   Enjoy your running, and keep movin' on!

• caeduspaxis Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    14. Dec 17, 2009 8:40 PM (in response to Bauer05)

im right with ya tammy, but i think you can totally do it.  i live in a cold climate myself so treadmill is mostly what i got i started running april of 09 at nearly 240lbs im only 5'8" so it was a lot of gerth on me.  Today im 160lbs and balancing a full time job with full time school and still hitting the gym, so as hectic as this time of year is just remember to think of your time on the treadmill as your own little moment of zen lol

Seadogs Father's Day 5k-6/21/09-34:01

Polar Bear 5k-2/13/10

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points