Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3608 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2009 5:26 PM by pakaciss
pakaciss Rookie 7 posts since
Sep 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2009 8:47 PM

HELP!! I'm losing it...momentum.

I have been running for about 4 mths now and it is getting hard to keep going. I hope it is because of the holidays.. But when I run, I just want to be done, I'm bored and not liking it anymore. How do I get to liking it again? I want to keep running but I can't hardly run  30 minutes anymore without wanting to quit.... In the beginning, I couldn't wait to go for a run.  What can I do to change this?  Thanks everyone.

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Dec 21, 2009 9:01 PM (in response to pakaciss)
    Re: HELP!! I'm losing it...momentum.

Are you working toward a goal?  (race, new distance, weight loss, etc.)

Have you noticed that on run days you feel better than your non-run days?  I've found if I can notice that pattern it's easier to get out the door.

These are the two biggest things that get me motivated.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• paygirl Pro 102 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 22, 2009 4:41 AM (in response to pakaciss)

The only reason I get up and run is my goal of my race.  After that race I don't have a race scheduled for 5 months.  In that time I am going to work on my speed.  That is a whole training session within it's self.  If you don’t want to increase your speed or distance, then cross train.  Biking, swimming even walking, who knows you might get inspired by a mini triathlon for your next goal J  Let us know what you do!!!

Start Date          Sunday 3/9  End Date           Friday   5/5

"5k RACE DAY"       5/15

• DSCo Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    3. Dec 22, 2009 8:36 AM (in response to pakaciss)

I know the weather kills me! I think you said you don't like tread mills. I haven't yet fallen in love with running on pavement, it kinda hurts. I am told to get better shoes. Anyway, I love taking group classes in the winter. It is very motivating and the exercise is demanding/challenging. I have come to love it so much that my outdoor biking has taken a back seat to group fitness during the summer?! I have however met many fantastic new friends. As a matter of fact after class tonight we are going to see Avatar. Thats motivating for me, and gets me through the winter exercising regularly. LifeTime Fitness is a great place to try!! 

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Dec 22, 2009 8:38 AM (in response to pakaciss)

In the beginning of my running experience, I found that registering for races kept me motivated.  I always had one around the corner (or soon enough) that I needed to keep training in order to run it.  Take a look at a race calendar for your area, highlight a few you want to run (some short and long term goals would be helpful...maybe a couple of 5K's and a 10K if you've never raced that distance) and register for as many as you can now.  Paying the money at least for me keeps me motivated.

Also, if you're overtaraining, you might find that you're losing it because of that too.  Are you getting adequate rest?

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• jmrock Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    5. Dec 22, 2009 8:45 AM (in response to pakaciss)

Ok, so here is what I have done to keep the momentum going... I run with friends... I run right after work and I have two guys that run with me.  Since we talk about all kinds of stuff, it never gets boring... And it is a great way to catch up!  I am betting making some friends in a running club would be great and a great way to get to know people....

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 22, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to pakaciss)

Last year I hit a 30 minute "wall" where anythign after that felt like torture as far as boredom goes. I tried to bring more mp3s and even videos on my ipod along with me to see if that helped. Listening to a familiar movie, even when I couldn't watch it, was pretty good. Although I probably looked weird when I started laughing for no reason, but whatever gets you through, right?

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    7. Dec 22, 2009 9:07 AM (in response to pakaciss)

I'll throw out another idea/experience.  Maybe my brain is a  mutant, but I've found when I'm getting back into running, say, following an injury, I pretty much have to have music.  However I've seen multiple times over quite a number of years that when my ramp-up gets me to that 30 min of running mark, if I *stop* using music on my runs, I do better.  It's almost as if the music makes things harder.  It's really weird.  But when I put away the music I pay more attention to nature around me, I hear my breathing and footsteps and they work me into this trance.  I find my runs are more calming and satisfying.

More $.02/grist for the mill.

jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Love2Run4Me Legend 273 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    8. Dec 22, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to pakaciss)

Everyone here has given some great suggestions – nearing races help get me out the door.  Also, try changing the route you run, or try a new trail or park.  Sometimes, all you need is a change of scenery.

10/10/09  Lake Joe Pool Pumpkin Run 5K - 33:15

11/26/09  Dallas Turkey Trot 5K - 30:35

02/14/10 Austin Half Marathon - 2:12:25

03/13/10 Dash Down Greenville 5K - 29:27

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    10. Dec 22, 2009 8:21 PM (in response to pakaciss)

Since you're still new to running, is it possible that you've been running the same distance at the same pace at the same time of day? If so, that would start getting old after 4 months, and it won't help you improve either. Along with the other great advice you've received, I would suggest mixing up your running workouts with hills, speedwork, etc.  Currently I'm following a training program for a half marathon, even though I'm not yet sure the half marathon will occur. (It's in late February in the snow, and registration only occurs on race day in case of bad weather!)   Maybe you've done the couch to 5k program or another training program before, but if you haven't, they are helpful for incorporating variety into your routine because somebody else has already thought up the different workouts and laid them out for you on a schedule. One day might be speed intervals, another day a tempo run ("comfortably hard"), another day a long run at a slower pace, etc. This makes each day interesting and challenging in a different way, and that will improve your running much more than doing the same thing over and over.

However, your comment about the holidays is a good one. In my first year of running, I didn't really know what to expect -- Would I keep running through the winter? Could I? There aren't many races where I live in winter... What did I have to look forward to? What if I took some time off? Yikes -- what if I gained a couple pounds? I learned that there are ebbs and flows in my routine based on the seasons, and it's OK to slack off sometimes; in fact, taking a break can be very good for you. Collegiate and elite runners do it. In the spring I increase my mileage and start signing up for races, and it all works out.

• imtlomlre Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    11. Dec 22, 2009 8:45 PM (in response to pakaciss)

I've found that everyone has ther own way of running!  But you should first set a goal for yourself that'a what helped me.  Do also, change your route so that you don't get bored.  The longer i run the newwer the route i take it's fun for me.

I also get motivated with music.  IF i don't have music i'm sorry i just get bored hearing myself breathing or cars, trucks ambulance... I can still hear nature but i love my music and i'm always adding new songs, mixing whatever gets me going.

My husband also bought me a new watch which I LOVE:)  it totally help motivate me even more the waitch gets my distance speed per mile, calories and much more and every time i get faster and do farther runs just makes me feel

proud of what i love to do.  Good Luck and Best Wishes you'll find your way:)

• DSCo Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    12. Dec 22, 2009 9:55 PM (in response to pakaciss)

Sounds like your back on track!!!!

Best of luck andkeep us posted!!

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    13. Dec 23, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to pakaciss)

Lots of good advice here.  Change it up (speed, distance, etc) for a lot of reasons and your running will improve and I find getting faster or being able to run farther are both good motivators.  Speed is king for me right now!

I TOO am a gear junkie...  Even a new reflective vest, gloves or a road id will get me out to use it.  I live in florida so the winter actually is somewhat cool to me because I get to drag out my tights and all that good stuff...

All the best to you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points