Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2652 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2009 9:14 AM by spicegeek RSS
firstimerunner3 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM

Hey

I am a first time runner and I weigh about 290 lbs, anyone have any tips for me?  I am not great when it comes to diet, so any help I would appreciate.

• The Scott Amateur 35 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    1. Dec 15, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to firstimerunner3)
    Re: Hey

Welcome to the run addiction!!!

You want to have the best running experience you can have. The first thing you want to do is set a goal. Weather it be a race or just a certain distance. (i.e "I want to make it around my block with out stopping") <--that was my 1st goal .

2nd. And many, many people will agree. Get fitted for proper shoes. This is a common oversight in new runners. For a 290lb runner, look into the Brooks Beast or Pearl Izumi Syncro Guide 2. Pearl's will be more $$$ but will last twice as long. My last pair had around 600+ miles.

3rd, Diet will come with more running. I went from eating 2 bags of M&M's to 1 bag. Seriously, recovery nutrition is key,  its what lets you go again the next day.

Good Luck!!! Keep Runnin'!!!!

"Get to livin' before you're dead because you soon will find if you're not pushing straight ahead, you're being left behind." 

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Dec 15, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to firstimerunner3)

A lot of people will likely jump on me for this advice - but ..

As you mentioned you weight - I assume you are doing this for weight loss - I also assume you are intending to follow something like the Couch to 5K plan. The biggest mistake people make is thinking that plan is intended to get you fit and help you lose weight - it barely burns the calories to drop 1/4 lb - 1/2 lb a week even at the latter stages - it`s also not even close to enough cardio activity to make a significant impact on your fitness. I personally do not think running is the best activity to start out with for fitness / weight loss

If you want to loose weight

1. Get you diet under control - this is THE most important step - even running 30 miles a week with several more hours of weight training and cross training if I don`t watch my diet I will still gain weight.

2. work on getting up to 5 hour sessions of cardio activity per week - you can use the eliptical, bike , walk briskly, swim row = what ever makes you happy ! Yes this means if you are going to start introducing running you will need to do some other form of cardio after to make up the hour

3. 2 - 3 hours of resistance training per week

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 15, 2009 9:16 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Spice,  Not gonna jump you.  Infact I have to agree.  To loosing weight the first thing one has to control is diet.  Even as experienced runners, we can't eat whatever we want.  2 1/2 years ago I lost just over 80 lbs.  It took a year but it has stayed off.

Changing diet is hard.  I have to say changing slowly will make it more of a life style change than a "diet".  Cut 1 unhealthy thing a week.  If you need another week to adjust before adding something else than take the week.  Once you've adjusted than add something else.

Exercise is necessary.  Running is great and I love it.  However I have to agree with spice that you'll need something else as well.  First off  PLEASE make sure you are running in good shoes.  Lifting weights is extreamly important for weight loss.  In fact it keeps on burning calories even when you've stopped lifting.  In addition the elliptical is great because its easy on the knees and bike riding is a great change of pace.

This might sound really stupid, but taking pictures really helped me a lot.  I took a picture of my beginning weight in a swimming suit, and continued every two months untill I reached my goal.  When I was feeling frusterated pulling out these pictures and seeing the physical change, not just the number change, was a huge motivation to keep me going.

Good luck and keep us updated.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Dec 15, 2009 11:39 AM (in response to firstimerunner3)

Hey Firstimerunner....I'd like to congratulate you first and foremost on taking a giant leap to fitness and well being.  Its not going to be an easy journey, but certainly one that is well worth it.  I absolutely agree with the other people here.  You mention you don't know very much about diet.  I would suggest, in that case, without promoting it specifically that a good program to start you off that teaches you portion control and good food choices, such as Weight Watchers, might be a good place to start.  You could actually follow the food pyramid as well but that might not actually give you enough support if you require it to learn what it means to have a 4 oz piece of protein or the right servings of veggies, etc.  You MUST incorporate physical activity in your diet program....having been to WW meetings for quite a while in my past, I found that many people did not do any exercise and therefore were not very successful once they initial weight loss stopped....it is crucial to incorporate it into your daily life.  Also as the others suggest, its not enough just to run...I run alot of miles every week but if I substituted the calories burned with calorie laden food, I would gain.  I also agree with the weight training, I ran for over a year before I added weights and have seen significant improvement in my body since I've incorporate wieghts.  The basic priciple of weight loss really is you need to burn more than you consume....you do that, you'll lose weight.  The challenge is to do it smart and healthy.  Good luck and let us know how you do.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    5. Dec 15, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to firstimerunner3)

Firsttimerunner- If you are just starting out running, then I recommend the C25K training program as a way to transition from walking to running 30 mins.  This plan helps you build up your endurance in running and starts to work on that basic fitness.  I suggest you join a thread on this forum that starts the C25K the same time that you do.  You will develop camarderie with these people & you can moan & groan with them as you work your way thru the program.

Having said that, I agree with the others that if you have weight loss as your goal, you need to add other cardio & strength training to your exercise program. I hope you have a gym available to use during the bad weather. Try to build your average to 40-60 mins per day, and then more later if you have time.  A reasonable goal is 2 lbs/wk: 500 cals/d less food than your basic needs, and an average of 500 cals/day of exercise. I have built up to 90 mins per day (but I'm retired so I've got the time), so sometimes I lose 3#/wk, but my goal is to average 10#/mo.

My diet advice: Eat 3 meals & 2 snacks throughout the day.  Eat whole grain & protein for breakfast (like oatmeal w nuts), have healthy snacks in modest portions (100-180 cals), reduce your portion sizes for lunch & dinner, make sure they are balanced & lean, with lots of fruit & veg, and less processed food.  Find lower calorie, healthy food options at fast food places, if you have to eat on the road.  Keep a journal: record you daily food intake & calories and all of your workouts. Set your goals and limits, but don't beat yourself up if you slip once in a while. Get a Calorie Counter book - the Biggest Loser book even has restaurants in the back.  Don't overeat, just because you did a workout.

Good luck... and see you on the road!

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• JZTAGRL Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    6. Dec 22, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to firstimerunner3)

I've been reading all your great advice to Firstimerunner.  I've been following WW for a few months now and I am following a running program for a 10K.  I notice I'm so hungry after working out or running more the 2 miles.  Any suggestions?  Should I eat and if so what?  This will help me not hit that "pig out" moment because I'm so hungry.

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2008
    7. Dec 22, 2009 10:01 AM (in response to JZTAGRL)

JZTAGRL - Although not necesasarily WW friendly (I think a tablespoon is like 2 - 3 points) peanut butter is a great source of protein and helps deal with the hunger, in my opinion.  A good post run breakfast I have (and you could eat it whatever time of day) is a lowfat waffle with a spread of peanut butter on it (not even a tablespoon).  The carbs and the protein together satisfy me.  I also eat a 1/2 a Zone Perfect bar prior to a run but only if the run is 6 miles or more...anything less than that, I don't eat before hand.  Are you following core or points?  Have you spoken to your leader?  When I did WW I didn't find that the leader knew very much about exercise other than to say you shoudl do it.  Maybe call the corp office if you don't get good advice from your leader.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Jan 20, 2009
    8. Dec 22, 2009 10:26 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Cyndi - thanks for the advice but unfortunately I'm allergic to peanuts, which means I can't really eat anything you suggested...booo!  I have also found that the WW leaders don't know much about exercise.  I have all kinds of questions about activity points and such and they can't really answer them.  I've also been following the points program.  This is so frustrating to me because I'm counter productive.  I exercise and burn calories but then I eat them all because I'm so hungry after.  I try to eat a small snack about an hour before working out/running.  Then after I'm done with my workout I eat right away.  I've tried to eat a high protein diet after working out.  It seems to help but then I'm hungry again in a few hours.  Ugh the never ending battle.

Aug 11, 2008
    9. Dec 22, 2009 10:58 AM (in response to JZTAGRL)

How about hard boiled eggs.... low in points and huge in protein.  I find that protein is the way to go for me post run (that's why the peanut butter).  Or maybe a small block of cheese.  I personally use a whey protein shake (30 grams of protein) which I find helps with recovery and the famished feeling.  1 scoop of powder is 111 calories and I mix with water so that's 1 point. Or maybe a WW yogurt...1 point also, has protein and fiber, and they're not to bad tasting.  Vita Muffin also makes a muffin that is pretty tasty but expensive...loaded with fiber, don't recall the protein...in the frozen foods section.  They have real staying power, they keep you feeling less hungry and I also think its like 1 or 2 points.  Just a few suggestions that might help.  Try not to eat the points...or at least not all of them.  2 miles isn't really giving you that many additional points anyway.  Good luck....there was a thread somewhere for WW runners...maybe they'll have additional support.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Jan 20, 2009
    10. Dec 22, 2009 11:13 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Cyndi - Thanks for the advice - I'm going to try all of them.  I have some whey protein but haven't used it yet and I always have hard boiled eggs in the frig, I'll try that!  Thanks so much for the advice!  And yea, no kidding on the 2 miles....lol it's much worse when I run 4!  Watch out frig

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 22, 2009 8:07 PM (in response to JZTAGRL)

JZTAGRL, I like Gold Standard whey protein shake for after a run to get my post run protein. Before I run, I do a small carb snack for energy, but emphasis on the small. I don't want to get sick from eating before a run.

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 23, 2009 5:39 AM (in response to JZTAGRL)

JZTAGRL,  I remember those hunger pains well.  They are just awful.  What I did every time I got a hunger pain was drink a glass of water and eat an apple.  The water because many time our body feels "hungry" when its actually starting to get dehydrated.  Since you feel hungry after a run try drinking a glass of water before eating anything.  For when I was truley hungry I ate an apple because it was something to seek my teeth into and I could feel it in my stomach.  Plus you know what they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!

Good Luck,

Jan 20, 2009
    13. Dec 23, 2009 8:02 AM (in response to firstimerunner3)

Thanks for all the good snacking ideas.  I'm going to try all of them and see which works best!  This morning I tried the hard boiled egg with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.  That seemed to work.....so far

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    14. Dec 23, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to JZTAGRL)

Here`s a good snack care of my body builder buddies !

1/4 cup of oatmeal - 4 egg whites - blend and cook as a pancake - it`s a bit bland so you`ll want to experiment adding things - I like those little 60 cal pots of yougurt or I`ll drip a little water into a scoop of choclate protien powder to make a chocolate spread !

or make 1/4 - 1/2 cup oats into oatmeal  with water and add a scoop of protien powder

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...