Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

171311 Views 796 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2014 4:31 PM by shipo 1 2 3 ... 54 Previous Next
NICURN09 Amateur 12 posts since
Dec 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2009 8:31 PM

Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Hi Everyone.

I am 200+ lbs and am starting the C25K. I wanted to start today, but my key to the gym at our apartment complex wasn't working. I contemplated starting outside, but I am incredibly self-conscious about what people would think if they saw me running, or attempting to run. I am horribly out of shape and have always envied people who run. I would love to be able to run and to WANT to run. I am looking forward to having a day when I can just go on a nice long run and clear my head and have a healthier body. Of course losing weight would be an added bonus. (I'm also changing what I eat).

I'm hoping to find support and ideas here. Looking forward to getting involved.

• TXLaura3 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 26, 2009
    1. Dec 26, 2009 9:03 PM (in response to NICURN09)
    Re: Plus sized and starting C25K for the first time

Hi there! I just found this site tonight after trying to search for some training ideas to help me with the 1/2 marathon I'm doing in March. I finished my first one in Oct in 3:56 but had not done much to prepare for it.

I, too am also overweight but I really didn't care about people looking at me--I did the race for myself :-) But I do share your fears just running around my neighborhood, as the last time I ran on one of our busier streets, I got a couple of honkers that weren't very nice :-(

I've been working on my endurance with my trainer at the gym but won't see him for a cpl more weeks (depending on my financial status) but don't run very far at a time. I need to get back out there--I shamefully haven't tried to run since my 1/2 marathon.

Good  luck with getting going. I'm starting something on Monday--maybe in the morning if I can get up & going before church.

Take care, maybe we can cheer eachother on!

Laura

• Laura1415 Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 26, 2009
    2. Dec 26, 2009 9:42 PM (in response to TXLaura3)

Hey ladies!

I just hopped here tonight for the first time and am in the same boat.  Looking to do a 10K to a half marathon somewhere in the next six months, lose some LBs and generally get more healthy.  I am not a runner by nature, much happier with pretty much any other form of exercise but its a challenge that I've wanted to tackle for a long long time.  I am down for joining the cheering squad too!

-Laura 

• Runninoob Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    3. Dec 26, 2009 10:21 PM (in response to NICURN09)

I'm a pretty big person, and I have run a few competitive races so far. I did C25K and ren my first in late November. I train just around my neighborhood, on the asphalt and sidewalks. I am gearing up for a HM March 7th. Honestly, I don't especuially care what people think about me running. I am running for me while their lazy butts are in the car or whatever. Also, I think it's best to train on the same surfaces you'll be running on in your race - asphalt and concrete. In my experience, going from Treadmill to real roads is a bit of a change, and a challenge.

Jeff H.

12/2/2008 - 399 lbs.  - 11/2/2009 - 289 lbs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just fur Fun 5K, College Station, TX  11/21/09 - 42:11

Jingle Bell Fun Run 2 miles, College Station, TX  12/6/09 - 25:55

New Year's Resolution 5K, College Station, TX 1/9/10 - 37:38

• Kitchy Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    4. Dec 27, 2009 6:03 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Congrats on starting on the path to a healthier life!  I just started running this past year - at well over 300 pounds.  I thought running was something I would never be able to accomplish and the thought of running even one mile, just impossible.  It was for those skinny, fit people. lol.

I didn't want anyone to see me run either, so I started running in a local cemetary - not a lot of traffic but well maintained roads.  Once I got a bit more confidence, I started running out on the country roads near my house.  I am a fairly slow, steady runner and I no longer care what other people think - at least I'm out there exercising while they are still on their couches.

But I have found that for the most part, runners are a really supportive group of people.  I ran my first 5K this fall (at 280lbs) and I felt great afterwards.  Since then I've run a bunch more 5ks and even a 10k.  Yeah, I'm still slow and I finish toward the end if not dead last at times, but I'm a heck of a lot faster than I was last year - and I know that I'll only improve the more I do this.  I just keep telling myself that the last person to cross the finish line is still ahead of those that didn't finish at all and a hell of a lot further ahead of those that didn't bother to start.

I've gone from hating the idea of running to looking forward to bigger and better races - I'm even planning a half and a full marathon this year.  Me!  The person that couldn't even run a couple hundred feet 6 months ago.  So you better watch out...this running thing could be addictive. 

• hpern1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    5. Dec 27, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to NICURN09)

First of all GOOD FOR YOU to start. Who cares what others think. Truthfully if I see a plus size person, I think you go! I have come down below the 200 mark with alot of persistence and self talk. I'm doing it. You are not. Whos the better for it? Keep it going no matter what. There will be lots of set backs. Sign up for short races to get used to it and remember You started it AND finished. How many people in those cars never even started. Best of luck to you.

• GeekGirl1 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 7, 2009
    6. Dec 27, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi everyone.  First of all, Congrats on getting started on your journey to get in shape.  I did the same thing last year around this time.  I was 48 years old and 240 pounds.  I joined a local charity group that had a training program for couch to 5K.  I NEVER ran in high school or college or anything.  So, it was huge leap of faith for me to even try.  I didn't know anyone in my local town but got out there anyway.  We started training doing walking and alternating running.  The Jeff Galloway method of running is best for folks who are just getting into running.  And its a great training program for people who are over weight and could be prone to injury.  I had tried running at the age of 42 and did it all wrong and ended up getting a stress fracture.  So, last January I got a Wii Fit and just started with that until the Couch to 5K program started up in February. The program I was in had two coaches who worked with all of us and we in turn had to raise $1,000 each for the charity.  Believe it or not, 8 months later, I ran my first half marathon and a month after a full marathon...the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C.  I'm still overweight but have lost 35 pounds and am continuing to run.  I have several races planned for this next season.  Don't be embarrassed about your size...most runners are just thrilled to have folks get out there.  You may run into a few mean people here and there but who cares?  It will be difficult and you'll feel like you want to quit but just start out walking and alternate with running.  Do one minute of walking and one minute of running, alternating back and forth for at least 20 minutes 3 times a week.  Up the running ratio each week by one minute and you'll be able to go longer and will deifnitely lose weight over time.  I'm not ever a winner when I run and many times I'm dead last or close to it.  But honestly I don't care, because I've come so far and you WILL too!  Get out there and do it.  Be proud of yourself for having the nerve to try.

CJ

• krissieb Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    7. Dec 27, 2009 8:00 AM (in response to NICURN09)

I'm so proud of you for taking the step to start! That is a hard one.

I don't even know how many times I started the C25K program...and how long I stalled out on Week 1. My only advice is don't give up! I started the program in August around 210. The weight hasn't dropped off like I'd hoped (I was at a steady decline until the holidays), but I really think maintaining my running schedule kept me from doing more damage than I did during the holidays.

I ran my first 5K in November and am training for a half-marathon. Maybe March maybe April...depending on when my niece is born.

And as far as location? I always run outside. I run in our neighborhood, which really doesn't have a lot of traffic. And not a lot of people are out this time of year. When I first started, I ran after dark and that helped me get over my self-consciousness. It helps that my body hates running on the treadmill. It is really hard on my hips for some reason.

Good luck! Stick with it! You can do this!

Began C25K so many times...Finally graduated October 2nd, 2009.

4 half marathons done, training for 2 fall half-marathons in the fall

Eventual goal: OBX Marathon, November 2012

Training log at www.dailymile.com/people/krissieb

Blog (almost) daily at www.questionsfordessert.com

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    8. Dec 27, 2009 10:01 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi there,

Congratulations for getting out there are starting to run!  I am also 200+ (started at 289 in April 2009 and am currently 227), and starting running in September with the C25K program.  The first couple of weeks are tough, but please keep going!!  When I started, I was completely awful, and had trouble running at all, even for the 60 second increments.  Now, I run at least 2 miles three times a week, and a longer run on the weekends (over 3 miles).  If you told me in September that I'd be doing that, I would have laughed out loud, but here I am, running through my neighborhood at all hours of the day/night.  Not every run is great, but if you stick with it, you will start to feel better, and run longer, I promise.  Just keep to a pace your body can manage, and you'll succeed.

With respect to feeling self conscious outside, if you can, run at times where is quiet in your neighborhood.  It's so peaceful to get out in the morning or during dinner time and just run in the quiet.  You can also use an ipod (but always be safe) and that will drown out any negative vibes you may get while you are out there.  Also, the people who you also see running, know where you are coming from, and appreciate the work that involved in achieving a goal (they have goals themselves that they are working towards). I've actually had other runners, total strangers, tell me that I'm doing great, and not to stop.  The point is, you are running, you are getting fit, you will feel better, you will be healthier, you are doing this for yourself, and you can do this.

Good luck on your journey.  You will find that there are a lot of people on these boards that are in or have been in the same boat as you.  Turn to them for inspiration and advice along the way!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • msnwoods Amateur 31 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    9. Dec 27, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to NICURN09)

Hi, I'm so glad you posted this, I'm looking for some support, and talking posting with others like me, which I didn't think I'd find. I was reading a response to you by Turtle Who Runs, and that gave me the courage to respond, because I am where she was when she began, and I find encouragement in that. I'll be doing the C25K from a gym we have here in Houston called 24hr fitness, because I can go there early in the morning before work, and not that many people are there, so I won't feel sooo self-concious. I'm not liking where I am now, and I'm pretty much disappointed in myself, more depressed than anything, and I just know if I were to get moving I'd feel better, in my mind, if nowhere else. I just know it. So, I'll be starting first thing in the morning, before 5am, which has more to do with not being seen by anyone,even though I don't know those people, than by a motivation to start early. Heck, you know what, that's right I don't know those people! What can they do to me???? LOLLLLL

Someone is always doing, what someone else said couldn't be done. 
  • sarapaige05 Amateur 30 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    10. Dec 27, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to msnwoods)

i too will be starting the C25K tomorrow, monday. i am very excited! i need this in my life. my sister is a marathon runner and i have mentioned to her that i'm going to be self-conscious about running outdoors. she asked me-" what is the thought that goes through your mind when you see someone of any size running/jogging down the road?" i told her, " wow, i wish i could do that." she is absolutely right! good for us for wanting to become runners!!! everyone keep up the good work!

-sarapaige05

Started C25K Dec.28th- starting weight: 227

Weight lost as of 2/13/10:  17 pounds!!

The good thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.- Abraham Lincoln

First 5K ever is: Lake Erie Poker Run 5K April 17, 2010

Apr 18, 2009
    11. Dec 27, 2009 12:03 PM (in response to sarapaige05)

I know the feeling Sara, I too "wish I could do that"....maybe, I can.....just maybe.

At the very least, I can try.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    12. Dec 27, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Hello all....I wanted to drop a quick note to say congrats to all of your for having the courage to take such a big step.  The journey your embarking on will be one of not only getting fit and losing weight but of self discovery.  I started running in July 2008 to help my son gain some fitness for a karate test and I never stopped.  I've completed a number of 5K's, a 10K and one HM and am starting to officially train for my second next week.  Other than the weight loss (which has been pretty significant...I went from an 18/20 to a 10 and am still losing) I've discovered parts of me that I never knew existed. Thjings like determination, drive, endurance, mind/body connections. There will be ups and down, great runs and terrible ones...don't give up....its a lifestyle you're taking on not a diet or an exercise program...embrace it and enjoy the ride...I hope you find as much pleasure and fulfillment in running as I have.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Apr 18, 2009
    14. Dec 27, 2009 1:38 PM (in response to NICURN09)

Yeah, ,I think you can at your weight, I think we both can.....I think we can at least try. I'll be at it in the morning, packing my bag, and off to the gym. I don't care much for showering and changing at the gym but hey....I've got to start somewhere.

The good thing is I won't be outside, and I can go early to the gym....I'll just have to take it where I can.

No matter my weight, I'm not out to win it, just to get started at this point, and I've used excuses for it long enough, more than long enough....I've been tooling around on this website, and reading other articles, and other forums, discussions, and it seems that no matter the size, weight, athleticism, (sp), we are all worrying or thinking about something....so why not just carry that along and do it anyway.....and if I/we don't make it to where we think we should be, how about just redoing the plan, and keep going from where we are. I looked ahead on the C25K plan and read week 5, and thought to myself "no friggin way", but hey, I'm not on week 5....I haven't even gotten to week one, day one, yet.....so how bout I just start where I am....LOLLLLL

I just heard a rumor about myself.....a "friend" called me up to tell me what he'd heard about me that is soooo untrue. But you know what, I don't think that's anything compared to the self-talk I have going on in my head. The things I tell myself that are sooo untrue.

I think I'll just deal with me first.....and start this journey.

1 2 3 ... 54 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...