Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13539 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2010 5:34 PM by Marykb Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 23, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to pietranico)
    Re: weight qualification?

yeah... and how many are running BF because of it too. LOL

But the BF made ALLL the difference, just like the book said it would

Now that I can bear weight on my wrists again, the bike is coming back out for sure.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    16. Dec 26, 2009 10:27 PM (in response to Wideguy)

wideguy, I just started C to 5k recently and just finished a month ago.  I'm already down to about 305 from 325 (I'm 6'3.)  I probably have an advantage in that I've run in the past (I ran the Boston Marathon 10 years ago weighing around 235) and that helps you to know how your body is responding but you're going to pick up on that quick.

Also, don't be stuck thinking you need to repeat a whole week.  I did four days of week 2 because I wasn't happy with how I did w2d3 and just finished week 3.  Week 4 seems rough, so it might take an extra run or so to get me up to speed.

Once you start running and start keeping an eye on your diet your body will start shedding pounds pretty quickly.  Good luck!

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    17. Dec 27, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to bostonwolf)

yeah.. I let myself get derailed this fall... lost the daylight after work and that was an easy excuse.  Time to kick my *** back into gear. I can have C25K behind me by spring.... there is a 5 miler in town in April... probably ambitious...  but that would be a good goal... 5 miles in 14 weeks?

possible

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    18. Dec 28, 2009 12:01 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I misspoke above.  I meant "just started" not "just finished."

My goal is a 5k race in March which should be more than enough time to both get used to the distance and do some work on running it faster too.

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    19. Dec 28, 2009 11:23 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

Most races have 200 lbs for men.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    20. Dec 28, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

I stumbled on this thread by accident and am honestly shocked that races actually ask for weights to classify "larger" perople as clydedales...that is awful.  I'm 5'7" and a size 10.  Wish I could tell you my weight but I can't cause I don't care.  I'm healthier than I've ever been (more fit) and could probably run a lot longer than many of my thinner sisters as my "normal" weekly miles range anywhere from 41-45 miles....its just disturbing.  Sorry,  just had to vent.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Crista317 Amateur 39 posts since
    Apr 8, 2007
    21. Jan 14, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to SumoRunner)

145-150 lb woman is considered a heavyweight runner??? Oh-my-gosh... I'm so depressed. I weighed 164 in September but still ran quite a lot. I knew if I lost weight I would run a lot better but I had no idea I would be considered "heavyweight". I've since lost about 25 lbs and my running is surely faster and more comfortable. Still... I'm surprised!

• Steve__2027 Amateur 33 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    22. Jan 14, 2010 5:51 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

I have found that it is typically 200 lbs for the Clydesdale but sometimes it can be 190 lbs.   I was down to around 195 or so last summer and up to about 205 now.  Won two Clydesdale divisions races last year.  It is kind of fun to be able to win but not always that easy for sure.  I am currently running 5Ks around 21 to 23 minutes; 7:00 to 7:30 or so pace.  Keep it up!

May 30, 2007
    23. Jan 14, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to Steve__2027)

Athena (or Fillies) and Clydesdale division entries are all optional!  I look at it as just another age category. So you don't need to tell folks your weight or sign up for the category if you don't want.  My photo is actually from my 5K race down in Knoxville, Tennesee last year when I won the Clydesdale category with a 21:43 time (7:00 pace).  Came in 27th overall out of 437 runners; Winning time was 17:04 or a 5:30 pace.  I came in 7th place in the 40 year old age group out of 60 runners.   Age groups can be really tough to win so having another catergory is fun; at least for me.

I agree with you that weight should not matter...some of us will always tend to be on the "heavier side" just due to our build.  I was 180 lbs in high school when I was in great shape and would love to be down at that weight now but would never get down much below that....that's just me! 

Just keep running....remember we only race the clock and our own PRs!!

May 30, 2007
    24. Jan 14, 2010 6:16 PM (in response to Wideguy)

What is BF??

• Crista317 Amateur 39 posts since
    Apr 8, 2007
    25. Jan 15, 2010 3:38 AM (in response to Steve__2027)

My guess is barefoot???

• dltang Legend 163 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    26. Jan 24, 2010 3:45 PM (in response to Crista317)

Crista317 wrote:

145-150 lb woman is considered a heavyweight runner??? Oh-my-gosh... I'm so depressed. I weighed 164 in September but still ran quite a lot. I knew if I lost weight I would run a lot better but I had no idea I would be considered "heavyweight". I've since lost about 25 lbs and my running is surely faster and more comfortable. Still... I'm surprised!

I just entered a Sprint Triathlon for August 2010.  The weight for woman to be considered Athena is 165lbs.  What the heck is an Athena anyway?  I know Athena was the the Greek goddess of wisdom or something like that but come on, to classify a group of heavier runners as Athena's.  Just doesn't make any sense to me.  Anyway, I will be entering under that label though.  You can check out my weight goal and progress in my signature line.

With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.

Blogging My Journey Back to Me. http://community.active.com/people/dltang/blog

Results from 5K races back in 2005, I want to get there again and then improve.

Crim 5K 39:21

All Women's 5K 34:59

Genesys Hospice 5K 36:30

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    27. Feb 1, 2010 10:02 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

Hi D.D Brown68,

I'm doing a race this month and they have 2 weight classes for Clydesdale. One is 185-211 and 212-whatever. So I guess it all depends on what the race director wants.

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    28. Feb 2, 2010 4:18 PM (in response to dltang)

dltang, They call athena, Philly's up this way.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    29. Feb 2, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

"Athena" isn't too bad, but I don't like being referred to as a horse.  I can't imagine who would voluntarily sign up as a Filly or a Clydesdale.  Not me, although I would qualify.  Even if I won my category, I would be beyond mortified to step up and claim my award for winning the Filly catergory.  (((((shudder)))))

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...