Skip navigation

2147 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2010 4:40 PM by grid-rider RSS
HBMichele Amateur 26 posts since
Sep 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 28, 2009 7:33 PM

Charlie Horses!!  What the heck?

I have had two charlie horses in the past two weeks.  One swimming and one running.  What is going on?  Am I working too hard...or is it a nutrition thing?

• DSchiemel Pro 45 posts since
    Nov 24, 2008
    1. Dec 29, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to HBMichele)
    Re: Charlie Horses!! What the heck?

Aside from the obvious stretching more (multiple times throughout the day), drinking enough, having enough potassium make sure you are getting enough Calcium and Magnesium in your diet. A vitamin supplement geared specifically at Calcium & Magnesium is generally available at GNC and other heath stores. I experienced plenty of cramps / Charlie horses when I first started. It made me rethink my workout routine, so I switched to a ratio of 5:1 bike to run, for example if I biked for 30 mins I would transition to the treadmill for 5 mins, and over time I increased the overall time for both and slowly I noticed that my calf muscles didn’t cramp. This ratio change to my workout coupled with the extra nutritional intake of Calcium & Magnesium reduced my cramping; note, everyone’s body chemistry is different and we all react differently to workouts and vitamins. One last thing I tried that I felt helped with preventing cramps was the use of compression recovery socks (I have a pair of Under Amour socks but there are many brands available 2XU, Zoot, etc…while there isn’t enough scientific evidence to prove compression socks/pants work I felt they made a difference physically in recovery time and mental preparation for the next workout). Best of luck to you!! (you didn’t mention where the cramps where but I hope this helps)

• dgator32 Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    2. Dec 29, 2009 12:34 PM (in response to HBMichele)

i agree with what was said already... when i was a soccer player ( many many moons ago ) we would eat bananas everyday during the season to raise our potassium levels to avoid cramping... also i dont know why but i only drank water and lots of it, it seemed like i would cramp more if i drank the sports drinks??? like i said i dont know why and maybe it is just me but thats what worked... good luck

DW

excellence is obtained by those who care more than others think is wise...

who risk more than others think is safe...

and dream more than others think is practical 

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    3. Dec 29, 2009 1:40 PM (in response to HBMichele)

Back in my more fit days, I had similar problems while swimming in my upper calf muscle just below my knee.  Tended to hit me early in a workout while doing flip turns (relaxation of the muscle after effort during the swim).

Diet was always the fix for me.  I stretched a ton before hand but it wouldn't prevent it from happening if I wasn't eating well.  Making sure I was eating more banannas and drinking more milk was my unscientific but effective solution to the problem.

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    5. Jan 5, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to HBMichele)

Charlie horse is a bruised muscle...cramps, where the muscle balls up can be caused by lack of ellectrolites (Gatorade) Sometimes too much water can flush these, I like low sodium V8 and bananas/yogurt.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points