Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1617 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2009 7:12 PM by MegMc528 RSS
MegMc528 Amateur 27 posts since
Nov 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2009 8:06 AM

C25K - has anyone else repeated a week? Had a set-back?

Hi all - I started C25K four weeks ago. Scheduled runs on my calendar after checking the weather (I run outside on the boardwalk and it is pretty nasty here in NJ!). First three weeks loved - it was hard as heck, I hurt the next day but felt great. Week 4 - Day 1 - no problem. Week 4 - Day 2 - big problem. I had run on the treadmill once before (during the blizzard) and hated it, but it was so windy yesterday that I couldn't run outdoors. Disaster. It was really hot in the gym and I couldn't make it through the 5 minute runs, found myself doing 3 mins with walks and about 2/3 through just walked.

So here is my question - how do you shake off a bad day? I don't want one bad day to snowball into a bad week, month, end up back on the couch! In addition I've been watching what I eat, and doing workout DVD's 2-3 times a wek and haven't dropped a pound:-( I've considered doing each week twice (to build up gradually) - has anyone else done that?

Thanks for any input or suggestions - Happy New Year everyone

Avon Day 5K 6/5/10- 41:12

Asbury Boardwalk 5K - 9/25/10

This is just the beginning....

My slowest run time is still better than my best sit-on-the-couch time!

Meg

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill

• JustLindsay Amateur 29 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009

First, I'll commisserate with you on the weight thing - not only have I not lost any weight, I'm even up a pound and a half, and I've been doing C25k since early November. However, my clothes are fitting better, especially my jeans, so I just have to remember that it will come in time (and to lay off the chili cheese fries ).

Second, yes, I repeated weeks (as you can see in my signature). Week 3 I repeated once, and week 4 I repeated twice, partly because of weather. How do you shake off a bad day? Personally, I find that music really helps me ppush through whatever issues I'm having. I still follow the Robery Uhllery (sp?) podcasts, but I always continue my cool down past when the 5 minutes that the podcast goes for, and I make sure to put whatever upbeat songs I'm currently loving immediately after the podcast  so I have something to look forward to. That helps while I'm actually doing the runs, but the other thing that has helped me to refocus after having a bad day is to tell someone about my program - each time I tell a family member or friend about it I get a little more determined to see this thing all the way through. I feel like every shred of doubt that I can make it gets replaced by more desire to do it and claim victory. I've already shattered one person's expectations of what I could do (this person encouraged me to *not* do the 20 minute run because I wouldn't be able to make it - well I not only made it, but in two days I'm set to do my 25 minute run), and I'm looking forward to finishing the program and flaunting it in the proverbial faces of everyone else who thought this was a wacky phase, lol.  Finally, one very simple trick that helps prevent me from putting my run off for a day is that I get everything ready the night before: I lay out my clothes, hair ties, hair brush, deordorant, charged iPod, keys, tissues, ID, etc, so I have no excuses when I wake up and feel like going back to bed for more sleep. Like I said, simple, but effective.

Good luck, and I hope you continue on with the program and see how strong you can really be.

And now Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure. -APWBD

Completed: W6D3

Started Couch to 5k on Nov 2nd, repeated week 3 (1x) and week 4 (2x)

• jenster! Legend 295 posts since
    May 27, 2009

Congratulations on making it to week 4!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your off day!! It's so discouraging when that happens, but toughing through it is what training is all about. You're teaching your body that your mind is in charge. It's weird because, as much as I've been running this year, I dont feel like it's gotten any easier overall. But the will power has gotten easier - if that makes any sense. My ability to be comfortable outside my comfort zone has increased a great deal. Running is HARD and you should be more proud of the runs you complete even when you want to quit...even if you have to walk because you didn't quit. The glorious day of easy running is around the corner...but it doesnt do house calls. Go and seek it out!!

As far as weightloss goes, when I was training for my first half it seemed like nothing changed...then WHAM - the weight melted off. I'd look for other signs of improvement rather than numbers on the scale. Are your clothes fitting better? Do you have more energy? Does a flight of stairs no longer leave you winded? Has your quality of life improved? The scale is so deceptive. If you still feel the need to lose lbs, definitely pay more attention to your nutrition. The C25K is great but it doesnt exactly knock out a ton of calories. Especially early on. Stay with it...maybe I'll be seeing you in the half marathoners group soon

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

-Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

My Blog  |  Althlinks Profile

Fall Schedule:

9/17 Asheville Half

10/16 Nike Women's Marathon

11/20 Philly Marathon

• jenniferbaker Amateur 57 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Everyone has setbacks. The key to success, however, is having the setbacks and then continuing on. As for weight loss, we are barely doing enough to burn off a snack, much less the 500 calories/day that is usually an accepted deficit for losing weight. In order to achieve this deficit, adjusting food intake is vital. Your body right now (assuming you are indeed starting from couch potato satus and not marathon runner) cannot handle the kind of workout you would need to achieve the deficit alone. Strength training will help build muscle, which in turn increases your metabolic rate. If you have never been an "eat what you want and not gain a pound" kinda person, you still aren't going to be on this journey.  Chin up though, as your body gets more toned, it'll do more on its own, and as you gain the ability to push harder and farther, you will be doing more for your weight loss.  Remember, it has taken us years to get to our couch potato status, we must be patient in the reversal process.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

First of all, congratulations on making the decision and following through with the first three weeks of the program!!  I completed C25K at the end of November, and started the One Hour Runner program, and will be starting on Week 5 tomorrow.  I, and a lot of other people, can totally relate to how you are feeling.  I've repeated a couple of the weeks in the C25K program, and based on my conversations with others on these message boards, they have as well.  You are definitely not alone in your journey.  I also know how tough it is when you work so hard, and don't see results yet, but you will.  There are a few things that I've learned in this process:

• You will have good runs and you will have bad runs, particularly the more you do it.  It's just the law of probability.
    • By starting the program, you have already worked out more than you would have before, so give yourself a break.
    • Also, give yourself permission to slow it down if it feels too hard or you are not enjoying it.  The only way you will keep up with the program is if you like it.  Just by progressing your are doing more for your fitness than you had before.  As you run further, you will get faster.  The point right now is to build your endurence (this is advice that took me awhile to learn since I'm so impatient, but it's true).
    • Even though you haven't seen a weight decrease, you are building your fitness level up, each time your run.  There's a quote on another board that says "if you want to lose weight, eat better, if you want to be fit, exercise".  I think if you keep watching your food intake, drink plenty of water, and keep the running up, you will evenually see results.  It may not be on the scale, but it will be in the way your clothes fit, and the size you wear. 
    • Just remember, it's progress, not perfection.  If you have to repeat a day or a week, do it, and feel good that you are continuing the program.  The program can be completed at any pace, whatever is comfortable to you. 

Sorry this is so long winded, but I hope this posting will help you.  It's a slippery slope if you start negative self-talk and doubting yourself, so do your best to push those thoughts out of your head, just shake it off and say that you can do this, because you can.  Good luck to you!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points