Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16427 Views 77 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2010 8:14 PM by DanceWalkRunPenguin RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Dec 29, 2009 8:56 PM (in response to California Girl01)
    Re: 200 lbs + One Hour Runner Dec 7-21

btw, Calirfornia Girl01:  to answer your first questions about running on the TM with your paces and inclines - sounds like you're on the right path.  The ultimate question is how are you feeling with it?  But right now I would say you are spot on to start and keep with your current settings.  Well played, ma'dam.  Well played, indeed.

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    62. Dec 30, 2009 6:27 AM (in response to ovenfried)

"The drop in numbers will be a symptom of improved health, not the goal of it."

I'm gonna use that quote, Amy.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    63. Dec 30, 2009 8:01 AM (in response to California Girl01)

"For those of you who are 200 lbs+, how has the running affected your weight?  Are you staying about the same or losing?"

Well, I began a few months back when the scales tipped 260 (I'm 6-2 and 31 years old).  I'd done the 5 pounds a year thing to get to the 240-245 range... but then put on another 15-20 pounds over a period of a couple months.

That essentially got me off my behind and I started running.  I made minor changes to diet... I wouldn't say I'm eating well... I'm just not doing fast food anymore.  In a bit less then 3 months I've gotten down to 235 and more importantly I'm starting to just feel better in general.  I've sort of plateaued through the holidays, but I expect that's normal for most in my shoes.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the weight as time goes by.  My goals really aren't weight oriented, but I expect that I'll see a continued drop as a positive side effect.

5K in less then 30 minutes by March.

10K with no walking by May

Sprint Tri by June

Olympic Distance Tri by the end of the summer (perhaps a bit too optimistic... we'll see how the other goals go)

I don't expect to ever get back to my "fighting weight" when I entered college (185 and very little body fat)... but I think the 210-215 range might be in the cards.

• California Girl01 Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    64. Dec 30, 2009 9:44 AM (in response to This IS my race pace)

Thank you for your insight Ovenfried.  I am glad to hear that I am starting off on the right foot...  This afternoon I will do Week 1, Day 2, and am looking forward to it.  I will watch for the new weekly threads.  Have a great day everyone!

Nichole C.

Mar 26, 2008
    65. Dec 30, 2009 9:46 AM (in response to This IS my race pace)

Thanks CM for letting me know that I am on the right track.

Nichole C.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    66. Dec 30, 2009 12:39 PM (in response to ovenfried)

Hey everybody,

Today it was COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD outside (below freezing), but I ran anyway, and ended up running 3 1/2 miles but was really slow.  I tried a new route and it was not good-the roads were in bad shape and there was ice and slush all over the place.  I ran really slow as a result.  I think it's going to be a long winter.  Week 4 is complete!!

Have a good (and hopefully warm) day.

-Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
    Mar 26, 2008
    67. Dec 30, 2009 1:49 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Congratulations on Week 4 Turtle.  Be careful out there! 

Nichole C.

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    68. Dec 31, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Jasmine, Ovenfriend, Turtle..... and my original 200lbs+ C25K brothers and sisters... I've truly missed you...

You guys... I truly fell off the wagon after Thanksgiving. And I'm really upset about it. I feel sluggish and angry...I did my Turket Trot and then apparently fell off the face of the earth... I need help guys... Can I come back and join you? Eventually I'll be a OHR... promise.

But enough about me.... how is everybody???

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    70. Dec 31, 2009 1:26 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Welcome back Irish!!  It's good to see you again.  LIke Amy said, we are all going through our first winter/holiday season as runners, and given that many of us have been at this for awhile now, that eventually we will fall off the wagon, take time off, etc.  If everything was perfect we'd all be running marathons now, but hey, life gets in the way sometimes.  I think that it's important to realize that you want to get back to running again, and not just stop all together.  So just get out and run, and don't worry about time (I'm one to talk, I always worry about time!), just get back into the swing of things.

My husband and I decided to run a 10K on 5/2/10, but the course closes after 1.5 hours (whatever that means exactly), so needless to say, I'm worried about finishing within that time.  I know I have four months to get ready, but I'm still so slow.  I'm hoping we have a mild winter, so I can run outside.  So far we received 2ft. of snow on 12/19, and another 3 inches today-so far, not so good.  Maybe January and February will bring higher temps.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, Irish, welcome back, and here's hoping you all have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

-Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
    Oct 19, 2007
    71. Jan 1, 2010 9:02 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Good question on the course closing, TWR.  When a race course is "closed" that means the race is for all intents and purposes officially over.  Any roads that were closed are re-opened to traffic and the race crew starts to disassemble and tear down the timing equipment, finish line, etc.  If the race is in a busy area, the police will go through and tell the remaining runners on the course to either stop running or get off the road and up onto the sidewalk.  This does NOT mean runners must stop running; it merely means they will most likely not cross the official finish line and get an official race time.  Also means if they don't get off the road they become targets.

I would recommend that if you cannot cross the finish in the time allotted - keep running anyway.  You've got your t-shirt and bib and what else do we run the races for besides the t-shirt and bragging rights/conversation starters?    Finish your race.  Finish your race.  Finish your race.

Finish

Your

Race

Whatever you do - don't quit.  Don't give up.  The disappointment of finishing so far behind these 120 lb. pencil-necks who run sub 5 min. miles is nothing compared to knowing that you quit.  I don't care if you have to walk, crawl, roll, skip or do summersaults across the finish line 2 days after the race has "officially" ended - finish your race.  Start the precedent.  Success and failure are both perpetuating cycles.

• AthleneLuella Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 17, 2009
    72. Jan 1, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to ovenfried)

This morning I went running with the intent of just trying to do 8 minutes, walk two, run 8 until I reached 50 minutes. (I was the one who last week was so frustrated because I had a block and couldn't even make it to twenty...when previously I was doing 45 with no problem).  Today I ran the whole 60 minutes without stopping....and still had gas in my tank..I am soooooo thrilled! I'm still slow - only three miles, but I was able to complete the hour without problems. I can scream I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement everybody! Now I just have to figure out how to get around to losing this weight!

Have a great day!

Oct 19, 2007

One more thing for you all to munch on while you're training:  right now you are all runners, but once you run an official race you are an official "racer".  While maybe not in the same class, certainly in the same classification as Olympic champions.

Did you get that?  You are the same as Olympic Champions.

You join a brotherhood and sisterhood that not too many people care to join.  Why?  Because it's too hard.  You have shown your determination and dedication to take on a challenge.  I am telling you right now that running is a great conversation starter.  Some people will look at you like you're crazy and some will even say so.  Screw them.  I tell them that sitting on the couch all day playing video games is crazy.  I promise you, if you get into conversations with people and there are any runners in that group and they find out you actually do races - INSTANT bond.  Doesn't matter if they are 6 min. milers and you do a 14 min. mile.  Doesn't matter if they've been running for 40 yrs. and you just finished your first 5k that morning.  They accept you and will start to talk to you about the races you've ran, the races you're training for, training tips and experiences - racers are great.  They respect ANYONE who takes on the challenge of running a race.  Marathoners are some of the biggest supporters of the 5Kers, I kid you not.

One of the best things you can do to help your running is one of the easiest, and that is to let people know you either run or are training for a race.  You'll find other runners of all levels of abilities and you will automatically start a support group.  They will ask, "How's your running going?"  "How was your race?"  "When is your next race?"  Often when you find another runner you will also find you are training for the same races and will feed off each other.  Don't be ashamed and don't be embarrassed.  Those who run, those who race, look at people like us and give us a lot of respect for making the attempt.  Very kind and very supportive.  By all means, keep up w/ this thread and support group, but get involved with the groups that perform at the level you want to perform at also because by talking to them and following them you will learn their methods, develop their mentality and gain their enthusiasm, appreciation and love of running.

Can I get a witness, anyone?

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    74. Jan 2, 2010 5:00 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Welcome back, Irish!  Glad to hear from you as you get back "on the wagon".

Luella- You are running the pace that I started at, so you are DOING FINE!!  It is so hard for us Penguins, because it seems like we are going at a snails pace while everyone just passes us by in a race.  I'm trying to build up to past 5 miles, but that takes me almost 1.5 hours to complete.  It is SOOO Long.

Amen- ChunkyMonkey! The outside support you get when people know you are running is amazing, whether they are runners or couch potatoes.  I love your pep talk.

These are my NY Resolutions for the first half of 2010:

Run 5K in <35 mins

Run 10K in <75 mins

Finish Half Marathon and June Sprint Triathlon (Iron Girl Atlanta) (Yes Ovenfried - I did get signed up!)

Reach weight of 170 lbs or less.

After June 2010, I'll re-evaluate my race time goals, weight goals and other racing plans.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...