Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3846 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2010 6:02 AM by BioChick
stacyleemc Amateur 31 posts since
Jan 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2010 6:26 PM

C25K on a treadmill?

Does it matter if you do this program on a treadmill or is it better to do it outside? I am planning on starting Monday and hope I can stick with it! Thanks for all the help!

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    1. Jan 2, 2010 9:16 PM (in response to stacyleemc)
    Re: C25K on a treadmill?

I run on a treadmill!  I do keep the incline at at least 1.0 (1% I guess).  I read on one of the forums here from an experienced runner that it's better to keep the incline up a bit so it's not constantly flat.  I do vary incline at times too.  I probably won't run outside until I get into the later weeks.  I'm finishing up W3 tomorrow so I haven't decided when I'm going to run outside yet.  I also like the treadmill because I can keep track of my speed.  So, I think the treadmill and outside is a personal preference.  If you plan on running a real 5k race at the end, it's probably better to run outside as much as possible to get used to the different types of terrain.  Anyway, good luck and welcome to the newbie club!  It's a great environment here and there's always someone to encourage you! 

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 3, 2010 6:57 AM (in response to stacyleemc)

Lots of people do the program on a treadmill. As BioChick points out, it's common advice to keep the incline at 1% or 1.5% to compensate for the lack of wind resistance you experience on a treadmill. This increased incline is supposed to more closely simulate the effort required to run outdoors.

Be aware, though, that your gait/stride will differ between the treadmill and outdoor running, so you'll find that there's a period of adjustment (and possibly a perceived backslide) when you make the transition to outdoor running. With that in mind, you should be able to complete the program on the treadmill and do just fine.

Good luck!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• MsAng Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    4. Jan 3, 2010 9:25 AM (in response to stacyleemc)

I'm new to the program too and I use a treadmill for similar reasons to BioChick... I like it to track my progress.  I think that once I am able to run for longer periods of time I will start going outdoors more often but still keep up with the treadmill training so that I can feel successful as I move forward.  I love this program because you do feel successful and like you are progressing and getting stronger!  Good luck with it.

• BethanyBB Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    5. Jan 3, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to stacyleemc)

I'm just starting out too, but from what I've read I think they say it is *best* to run outside if you plan to run a 5K, since that is where your 5K will be run. That said, today is my day one and I did it on the treadmill. LOL. It is wayyy too cold outside for me to run outside, but I plan to do so as much as I can. Good luck!

Bethany

{First time C25K trainer}

Blogging about it here ---> Life with Bubba, Chicky and Nika

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    7. Jan 3, 2010 12:28 PM (in response to stacyleemc)

I would think the TM would have a lot of advantages.  The clock, it's softer, even surfaces so you can just think about running.  I have run entire winters on a TM at 0%.  Came outdoors for a race in March and cut 20 minutes off of a 15k....  I think the move from indoor to outdoor TRAINING might take some getting used to, but on a race day you won't notice the 1% or any of that.  Maybe the next day.....

Treadmill it!

P.S.  I also think the TM is great for getting your body used to a pace.  For me it was a quicker turnover I had to realize I COULD do.  But also for just about any given effort level I seemed to really get a sense for my pace due to the non varying pace on the TM.

• Bauer05 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 28, 2009
    8. Jan 3, 2010 12:45 PM (in response to stacyleemc)

I am on W4D2 and have been running only on my treadmill...I live in Canada and it was -47 yesterday with the windchill so needless to say I am not risking losing a limb to frostbite!! :)  My plan is to complete the program first and then incease my incline to 1% in preparation for heading outside...you can do this!!  Keep us up to date on your progress :) :) :) Tam

• EskimoTwo Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 3, 2010
    9. Jan 3, 2010 2:34 PM (in response to stacyleemc)

I just started the C25K because I can only run late evening.  (Too dark to run in this neighborhood)  Thanks for tips on incline.  What is the speed of walking? Running? My knees feel better than the pavement outdoors too.

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    10. Jan 4, 2010 6:02 AM (in response to EskimoTwo)

I usually walk anywhere from 2.5-3.0mph (I have short legs!) and run anywhere from 4.5mph - 6.0mph depending on the length of the run and how I'm feeling that day, lol.  I usually end up going for a total distance of 1.6-1.8 miles by the time I finish.

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points