Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19764 Views 67 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM by AFatManRunning RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Tchotchke Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2010 10:30 AM

one hour runner

one hour runner

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    1. Jan 3, 2010 8:18 PM (in response to Tchotchke)
    Re: 200 lbs + One Hour Runner Jan 1-31

Greetings, all, and Happy New Year.  This thread is intended for people who are or have been over 200 pounds and are doing the One Hour Runner program. Some of us, like me, are crashing here even though we aren't quite up to 1-hr-runner.

The story today is that I'm starting a switch over to Galloway, which includes walk breaks throughout running (and not just in the first few weeks). I still intend to finish the final two weeks of C25K at some point, but my endurance is really not up there at this point. I'm awaiting a new watch with stopwatch timer function. Meanwhile on my most recent two runs I have started a run-walk-run-walk pattern, slowing down enough to recover (like in the early days of C25K) and then resuming. It is sooooo cold outside that I'm not entirely sure all my panting is due solely to the running effort.

Back later, and I hope we have some thread takers.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    2. Jan 4, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

"Hey Chunky Monkey, how long have you been running and what kind of distance are you doing?  I began week 1, Day 1 of the C25K yesterday.  It felt good to run.  I did it on a treadmill because of the weather where I am.  I was at a 1 incline and at 4 mph when I ran, and 2.5 mph during the walking portion, does this sound about average for a beginner?  Anyone have any advice for me?"

Hi Nichole.  As promised, here's my answer for you.  I've been running off and on for about 4 yrs. now.  I go through periods of available time to run and I go through others where there is no time to run or I'm just too exhausted, but I do what I can.  I started by walking for 30 mins. at a comfortable pace to get used to the motions eventually moving up to an hour.  Long story short: I started walking (strolling) for 30 mins. and at the height of my training my long run was 18 mi. because I was training for a marathon that I never got to run.  My pace for that long run was about a 13 min. mile and I do my long runs on a treadmill.

At the time I was almost 250 and I have degenitive arthritis.  My knees were so bad that when I was 35 I went to several doctors, all who wanted to do at least one knee replacement if not both.  I even had handicap parking.  To be honest, that was pretty embarrassing. I had to lose weight and strengthen my self.  I figured out that in the long run, buying a good quality treadmill was a better move than signing up for the gym because of lower cost, greater availability and convenience.  Running on a TM can get a little tedious and it is certainly different than running on the road, but the impact on my body is much easier, I can modify my distance/time if I want to and not have to worry about how far from home I am, I don't have to worry about traffic or weather and on the longer runs it provides me with an excuse to watch an entire football game untinerrupted w/ the "honey-do" list.  :^)  I have predetermined routes around the house for various distances and I go out about 1x/wk to maintain familiarity w/ the road running and to enjoy the outdoors.  When I run outside on the pre-determined routes I don't use my watch to time - I just run.  I think someone called that "zen running".  My goal is to enjoy the surroundings as much as possible and the residual effect is I get a nice run.

I really don't like to run but I truly enjoy doing the races so that's what keeps me going.  I'm not running just to run or whatever; my personal trick is that I logically figured out the best way to keep running for my health is not just "because it's the right thing to do" because I have to run until the day I die.  To do something I really don't like that much for that long is not in my makeup.  So what I DO do is train for races because they have a definite end date.  Short, sweet, and done.  After I finish running one race I immediately start training for my next race and that's how I keep myself running as much as possible.  Works for me.

When I run, I usually run for time and not distance and I usually target 45 mins.  If I'm feeling good and everything is clicking, I go for an hour.  If it's a real struggle and I have to fight for every step I'll pare it down to 30 mins.  Usually I go for the full hour and have only had to dial it back to 30 mins. a few times.  When I run I do what's comfortable and I vary my speed.  If I feel good I'll pick up the pace.  If I get a little too ambitious too early I'll bring it down until I can recover and then I'll pick it up again but to a lower pace and just inch my way up.  My target is level of intensity.

When I race I am just one big tourist and I love running in areas I get to look at stuff I normally would not see either because I don't live in the area or I'm in the car and concentrate more on the traffic than my surroundings.  I take my happy butt back to the "I'll get there when I get there" min. per mile pace of the starting corral and I have two race goals:  1)  don't stop running; and, 2) don't finish last.  I get passed a lot and it's a little disappointing I have to admit, but then there's those people who start too fast and flame out and I eventually catch and pass them.  I like that because it means I trained well and I ran a smart race.

I run all kinds of races when I get a chance but for some reason I enjoy the longer distances.  I guess it's because they are more demanding and I know I have to train seriously for them which keeps me motivated to run.  5Ks are fun to do, 10Ks are ok and a good training run for the longer ones.  10 milers are challenging and the half marathons are a real test.  I also enjoy doing the relay races where teams of 12 people will run an approximate 200 mi. course over 24 hrs.  THOSE races are a great challenge and an incredible confidence boost.  The half marathons and relays award finisher medals and I keep every race bib from every race out in the open so every time I walk into a particular room in my house I see them.  They remind me of what I'm training for and that I can indeed achieve these goals.

Even though I have lost weight, for whatever reason my natural equalibrium keeps me right around 200 lbs.  I've tried but just can't seem to get under and stay 200 and I'm ok w/ it now.  Before it frustrated the daylights out of me but I'm healthy, my body doesn't hurt when I run and from what I hear I carry it fairly well.  I'm ok w/ what I see in the mirror.  I'm a big boy.  I always will be.  What can I do?  I'm naturally built for football and hockey, not cross country.  This is why I like this thread.  Even though I'm not working on my first 5K I'm among people who share my same challenges and frustrations.  I read the posts here and think, "yep....yep...uh-huh.....eewww.....do that too......".  For me, training for every race is like training for my first because I run into roadblocks, I run into setbacks, every day I face challenges to lose and keep weight off, to keep my training up, to remain positive and keep focused on the big picture when I experience setbacks and failures.  If I look at posts and threads where people complain about only being able to do a 6 min. mile on a 20 mi. training run (and they do) - I'm screwed and I'll quit before I even start.  Personally, If I ever break a 10 min./mi. pace I'll be as giddy as a school girl, and don't even get me started on finishing a marathon in less than 6 hrs.  This is my ultimate goal.

So did that answer any of your questions or was it once again simply a narcissitic ramble on my part?

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    3. Jan 4, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

Thanks for starting the new thread.  I haven't run since New Year's Day, but plan on running today.  Unfortunately I have to run on the TM today because we got snow again yesterday (fourth time in two weeks!) and the roads are not so good.  The wind chill is also in the single digits, so I feel like going into hibernation right about now.  I also have a 5K this Sunday, so I'm hoping for good weather, but I don't have a good feeling about it.  Anyway, I'll check in later.

Happy running!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • Runninoob Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    4. Jan 4, 2010 10:30 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

OK, so I bought some new shoes, and went running in them this weekend. I also tried running after eating lunch. Overall, I had a really crappy run yesterday. But, you have good days and you have bad ones. I am running a 5k this Saturday, and the forecast temp is supposed to be in the mid 20s... what fun. Have a good week running!

Jeff H.

12/2/2008 - 399 lbs.  - 11/2/2009 - 289 lbs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just fur Fun 5K, College Station, TX  11/21/09 - 42:11

Jingle Bell Fun Run 2 miles, College Station, TX  12/6/09 - 25:55

New Year's Resolution 5K, College Station, TX 1/9/10 - 37:38

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    5. Jan 4, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to Tchotchke)

Ovenfried, Turtle, Jasmine - Thanks for the Welcome Back! I didnt really think of it as my first "winter" .... thats a really good point... except for the fact that I live in So Cal and we have no winter... it was 75 degrees the day of the Rose Parade. Ya know - it was just a plain good ol' fashioned combination of lazy, exhausted, xmas, traffic, weirdos, and more exhaustion... Thanks for the suggestion of just run- dont worry about time. That's a great idea... except for the fact that I WILL LOOK at my time, simply cause I cannot help it. But its still a great suggestion. Thanks everybody.... next 5K is at the end of Feb... gotta get my best time ever!! I hope....

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    6. Jan 5, 2010 7:35 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Irish,

You are so lucky that it's 75 degrees in Jan.  My husband and I actually went to the 2009 Rose Parade and we had a great time.  The weather was fantastic, I wish I was a runner then, I would have loved it.  This year, I would be happy with 45 degrees, even 35 degrees in NY.  Tried running on the treadmill yesterday and couldn't finish my 32 minutes.  Horrible, horrible, horrible!!  I doesn't help that I have a lower end treadmill from 15 years ago that you have minimal control over.  I'd like to get a new one, but my budget doesn't allow for that right now.  So, I guess it's back out into the tundra for me.  Think warm thoughts for me. 

Talk to you later.

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    7. Jan 5, 2010 3:04 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Turtle -  yeah my budget doesnt allow for a treadmill either... darn. If fact, my budget is a state of cardiac arrest since I'm saving for a wedding... I'm this close to ramen noodles I tell ya! Now that I think about it squeezing into a wedding dress should MAKE ME get out there... hello!

Ok - dumb question: Has anyone slacked off a little bit (or alot) and been afraid to run again for fear that they will see if they have lost everything?? All that training and work? Is that totally dumb?

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    8. Jan 6, 2010 5:56 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

"Has anyone slacked off a little bit (or alot) and been afraid to run again for fear that they will see if they have lost everything

?? All that training and work? Is that totally dumb?"

NO!  It's not totally dumb.  I'm in a serious fitness slump right now.  The gym is right around the corner, but most mornings now the wind chill is near 0, and I don't want to walk that short distance.  My apartment is cold enough now that I have to wear a hat and jacket inside, so getting even colder is not very appetizing.  Plus I can't stand the track at the gym.  It's like 90 years old and almost a literal rectangle.

Excuses, excuses, I know.  And yeah I'm afraid that when I do go run next time, I will be screaming at 15 minutes.

OH, and to add to the lack-of-running motivation, I'm starting a new job in less than 2 weeks that will actually be 40+ hours.  I have never worked that much in a job before, which is why I've been able to juggle my own bead business (I make them myself, so that takes a lot of time and sitting down) as well as a new fitness program that is working.  I've considered seeing if there is a gym near my new job where I can go on my hour long break, or before or after work.

But yeah I'm really unmotivated....I hibernate in the winter.  Only thing I can think is that when the outside temp is above 32, I will be out there.  But that may be a while.

My internet connection is back...thanks for starting the new one!

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• EIUangel Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    10. Jan 6, 2010 9:06 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

"Ok - dumb question: Has anyone slacked off a little bit (or alot) and been afraid to run again for fear that they will see if they have lost everything?? All that training and work? Is that totally dumb?"

I'm in the 'slacked off ALOT camp'.  I lost 121 pounds, more than half of which was a direct result of running.  Last year, I didn't train consistently, and while I did manage to complete 2 half marathons, I struggled with fitness and diet and gained a considerable amount of weight back.  I am back up over the 200 mark.  To date, I have not run AT ALL in approximately 2 months.  I'm not sure why I chose to do this to myself after all the hard work it took to lose that 121 pounds, but I did it, and now it's back to work.

I am also planning a wedding right now (it'll be in April of this year), and while I would have thought that fitting into the dress would have been a huge motivator, so far, it hasn't been (I'm guessing once it actually arrives, it'll be a great incentive).  Having to dig out some of my old "fat clothes" however, has been a real wake up call.  I'm on the verge of having to go back to women's sizes (instead of misses), and I'll be darned if I'm going to let that happen.

I wouldn't say that I am afraid to run again, although I certainly understand what you're saying.  I just recognize that I am going to have to start over with my training, but that's OK.  I know that I am in considerably better shape now than I was when I started my weight loss journey in the first place (I seriously couldn't even do a real sit-up back then), so that makes starting the running training over from scratch a little less daunting.  I KNOW that I can do it this time around . . . before, I hadn't ever run more than a block before having to stop to catch my breath.

The way I see it, fitness is an on-going challenge that we will always have to work at.  What we did in the past was not wasted even if we slacked off.  Slacking off was not the best decision to make, but now it's just a matter of getting back to work.  Have no fear!  Remember what it was like to be in shape and use it as inspiration to get there again . .  that's my plan anyway :-)

Happy trails!

• California Girl01 Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    11. Jan 6, 2010 10:11 AM (in response to This IS my race pace)

Hi Chunky Monkey, thanks for your post.  I am like you because I need to be on some kind of plan as well, have something to strive for otherwise I lose motivation.  I don't expect to lose a bunch of weight running, but I would like to tone my body and I can already see that happening and I am only in week 2.  I have decided that I definately like running outside better because of the scenery, but I can try to find ways to distracte myself on the treadmill.  I will also be following your advice and looking for other events in my area to keep me focused on a particular goal.  Keep on posting, you are a great help!

Nichole C.

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    12. Jan 6, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to EIUangel)

It certainly has been difficult to maintain a training routine through the holiday season, and I don't even have extreme cold and snow to use as an excuse.  Last year I used to cope well on the treadmill, but now, I've started to walk at a faster pace on the T-mill (at a speed I used to recover run at) and today it was difficult to stay transitioned as a runner at the faster pace.  It was so much easier to just walk fast.  It is probably all mental, because I have a lot of things on my mind.

However, I did break my mental barrier to running outside while here in CA (where it is warm).  On Sunday, I went out for my first 6 mi run in decades, over the streets of my hometown where I used to run and bike 20 years ago as a younger and slimmer (slow) triathlete.  I completed it at a 16 min/mi pace, which translates to 96 mins.  I am continuing to use the "Y" here for swimming and spin cycle workouts, and I'm looking forward to going home soon and resuming a normal workout routine.

For those of you worried about time off affecting your fitness, I was unable to workout for 10 days near Christmas, which gave my body a complete rest. I usually do one or two workouts 6 days a week. I was worried about "losing it", but I found that I had really great runs and swims right after coming back, because of the total rest.  So maybe, if you jump back in, even after a moderate delay, you won't have lost everything and can re-start at a higher level of fitness that the first time.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    13. Jan 7, 2010 5:35 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jo Ann....I found out last night that I haven't lost much, if anything, since my last workout.  I did use the treadmill first, after a week of no runs.  I ran for 15 minutes at about a 5-5.3 mph pace, then walked for a minute, then jacked the speed up to about 6mph and just bolted it for a minute, then slowed down back to about 5, then walked, then sprinted again.  I found the sprinting to be the most enjoyable part of the whole experience.  When I run at the 5-5.3 mph pace, I feel heavy and sluggish, but when I was up near 6mph (which is about a 10mm), I felt like I was flying and it was almost like the endorphins just kicked way in.  My heart rate shot up too, so that's why I did the fast running as sprints and not prolonged.  I look forward to doing sprint intervals when I'm back on the street.  I'm not going to count it toward my week 4 run though, because tecnically I didn't run nonstop for 30 minutes.

After the TM I hit the weight machines, and even though I hadn't touched them since December 10, I could start right up like not a day had passed.

So I guess you could say I got my motivation back!  I got used to not working out regularly, and started feeling pretty shitty, then made myself go...(I mean I MADE myself go last night, I didn't WANT to) and I'm sooo glad I did!

Have a great day folks!

Thanks for the great posts.

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    14. Jan 7, 2010 6:11 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine, it's good to see you again.

I have my first running injury! I felt it on the way home on my Monday run, near the very end of my workout. It's a pull of [something I'll have to look up] in my hip. It's definitely only used for running, though, because Tuesday I walked for an hour on the treadmill and then yesterday I warmed up for five minutes before taking my first running step, and OUCH as soon as my foot left the ground!

So today will be a rest day, I suppose, and tomorrow likely back to walking rather than running. I am not taking any chances and want this to heal quickly!

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...