Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4545 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2010 10:16 AM by rbird 1 2 Previous Next
rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2010 8:01 AM

It's not cold . . . it's invigorating!

I promise - No more gloating about our mild Florida winters.

For now I'll just keep chanting - It's not cold, it's invigorating.  Yeah sure. . . that'll keep me warm.

At least I'll save money on my electric bill.  My house felt like a sauna when I finished my run last night, so I was able to nudge the thermostat down a bit.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• AnTrelle Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    1. Jan 6, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to rbird)
    Re: It's not cold . . . it's invigorating!

Ha - I like that chant and need to use it myself. I THOUGHT I lived in Florida but lately the days have not felt very Floridish and the forecast for at least the next week is not looking any better. Even talking about the possibilty of ice/freezing rain on Friday (I'm in North Florida)

I haven't worked up the nerve to run since my last race on Dec 20th the brisk walk/jog to my car after leaving the gym has been enough to scare me away from running outside until I see a 60 degree high on the weather channel! - Man I am a wuss

http://www.1stplacesports.com/tri2btuff.jpg

In 2009 I Completed 3 Half Marathons in 3 Months!

10/3/09 Marine Corps Half 3:12:26

11/26/09 Outback Distance Classic 3:09:50

12/20/09 Jacksonville Bank Half 2:56:21

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Jan 6, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to rbird)

I agree with all of you.  In NE Florida and was born and raised here.  It's cold, but I have found that (and I run around 5AM) that I don't need gore-tex or anything.....  I bought a Brooks and a Sucony 1/2 zip and just layer up.  Polypro base, 2 long sleeve tech shirts, and the 1/2 zip.  Polypro and tights over on the bottom.  Gloves and a hat of course.  Last sunday I did 1.5 hours and my black knit hat had turned white and iced over.  Not really as bad as I thought it would be, but if it goes into the teens I'm headed to the TM.

Stay Warm!

• Ellsbird1 Pro 67 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    4. Jan 6, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to rbird)

Central Florida, here.  I find with the cold snap it's harder to get out of the house than actually run once I get going.  I ran after work in low 40s yesterday and had a great run.  My nose didn't even snot up until the very end - but I was prepared!  My house has no carpet, so it tends to stay chilly - all I want to do is stay in bed under the covers, but if I can get past that, it's not too bad!

"I'd rather wear out than rust out."

- Harlan Sanders (Col. Sanders)

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    5. Jan 6, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to rbird)

Another Central Florida here (Tampa).  I agree, this cold...uh...invigorating weather is different.  I had to get out to do a couple of runs on Sunday and Monday.  Sunday I ran during the afternoon when the temps were a little warmer (46 degrees) and did  7 miles ok.  On Monday I ran a simulated half marathon in what I call 'race conditions'.  I had my gloves, my hat, my running jacket and my hat on but I decided to see what running in shorts would be like.  My answer is COLD!  The temp was right at 34 degrees and my legs took a good 4 miles to warm up to luke warm.  I had always seen runners in shorts during races and figured that their legs naturally did not stay cold for long or were not really cold at all.  That theory has been eradicated for me.  For my half marathon in Disney Saturday, track pants will be my running wear.

I know a lot of the people from up north are laughing at us Floridians complaining about the weather, but they have to realize that this is a BIG shock to our system.  I'm not to crazy about running in extreme heat either, but this cold is no joke.

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    6. Jan 6, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to rbird)

I put in a 7 mile run today it was around 28 degrees. It was fantastic. I live in NY, so it's colder up here. I ran to a lake which is frozen over. I took a picture it was beautiful.

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    8. Jan 6, 2010 3:36 PM (in response to rbird)

From MN, all I can do is give you some perspective-I'd have to say the last week of double digit below zero weather has been not so much invigorating but challenging in terms of staying motivated to be stuck inside, but finally today, some rays of hope, I am going to make hay while the sun shines and go out for a run for the first time in literally a week before it gets worse tonight.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    9. Jan 6, 2010 3:55 PM (in response to Runnergal262)

OK, just so you know I really do have a sense of humor about this.  I'm not completely frozen just yet, I'm just saying I'm starting to feel a bit trapped by the box I call the gym for a week. 

I would probably trade you for 28 degrees right now.

PS- for you Florida peeps the below zero weather I refer to does not factor in something us northern folk call wind chill.  Nasty stuff... but I like to think it makes me tough somehow... where I'm not sure...

• donmurf Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 28, 2008
    11. Jan 7, 2010 1:22 PM (in response to rbird)

On the plus side, you can log onto weather.com and look at the temperatures up here in Detroit.

• Monique 12 Amateur 30 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    12. Jan 7, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to rbird)

OHIO here.  I almost whimped out on running Sunday morning 10 mile run when I woke up with the weather reporting 9 degree weather... and that was not with the wind chill factor!  Fellow runners talked me into going.  1st mile was COLD but only on my face.   Using a scarf to protect it, my breath ended up freezing up my glasses one one side!  But as we entered about 2.5 miles everything warmed up.  Plenty of light weight layers and a windbreaker did the trick.  

As we entered mile 8 just chatting away... i thought how i couldnt believe the what the temperature was.  It just seemed like a comfortable run and i didnt feel cold at all!  Amazing.  I guess we are true diehards...lol  The more you run in it, the more you are used to it.  And yes, it is INVIGORATING.

• pinkerbell Pro 64 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    14. Jan 7, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to rbird)

I mostly can't relate with you, being that I'm from Wisconsin and we're getting 6 inches of snow dumped on us as I type... BUT, lately on my drive home from work i've been noticing some dedicated runners on the trails, and it's inspired me to give it a try, it does look invigorating to run through snow!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...