Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20329 Views 67 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM by AFatManRunning RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 7, 2010 7:03 AM (in response to Tchotchke)
    Re: 200 lbs + One Hour Runner Jan 1-31

Hey everyone! Sorry to hear others are in a holiday slump, but at the same time you have all validated me. Thank you... means alot...

Angel - OMG, I feel the same way... you would think that I would be more motivated by the dress, so why arent I?? I dont want to be in panic mode later. I dont get myself sometimes... maybe its the procrastinating athelete in me... But you are very correct in saying that this IS an on going challenge and nothing has been wasted. Good point.

Jasmine - your post made sense and made me feel better! I just hope I didnt "rest" too, too long!!

Ovenfried - glad to hear that you havent lost much!! I hope I'm in that same boat!

Thanks guys, Happy Running!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    16. Jan 7, 2010 11:32 AM (in response to California Girl01)

Thanks for the kind words, CG01.  I know how difficult it is to find motivation and then keep it so I'm glad to hear you can benefit from my trials and errors.  I've heard people say it gets easier as you go along; I don't think it gets any easier - I think it just becomes familiar.  Even though I'm happy to see progress and it is inspiring, every day is still a battle for me.  What I have found interesting is that we all have a threshold.  We will all accept a certain level of negative input in all areas of our lives and even though we may not like it we still tolerate it because it hasn't reached a point where we decide to do something about it.  Sure we speak out and make some feeble efforts to stop what ever that negative thing is, but there is a final point where we just get so tired, so frustrated and so daggone mad we finally go from "please stop" and yell "ENOUGH!" and really just go at it with a passion and a raw fury that surprises even ourselves.  If you've ever watched "A Christmas Story" there's a part towards the end where Ralphie finally gets tired of being bullied by the big kid and his little cronie and he just loses his mind and wails the tar out of them and actually has to be pulled off of one by his mother - and he's still swinging.  That is where I finally reached and that is what has made me successful after so many failures to lose and keep the weight off.  Even when I get to periods where I can't run for up to a month at a time and I lose so much progress and it's so painful and discouraging to start again, this is what makes it so I can start again and know that I will succeed.  I'll win some and lose some, but I know I'll win more than lose and that's what keeps me going.  I'll never become an underwear model to be sure, but while I don't look like the guys for Calvin Klein, I sure as heck won't allow myself to look like any of the guys from Fruit Of The Loom, either.  Not again.  Ever.

Here's a pretty cool "didja know" for everyone I found out:  didja know that for every pound a person loses, they cut 2 seconds off their running pace?  Just think - if a person were to keep the exact level of fitness they have now but lose 60 lbs. that would mean a 120 second reduction in thier time.  2 entire minutes!  If they are at a 15 min/mi pace now and everything remained the same except for the loss of those 60 lbs, their new time would be 13 min/mi.  Sweet, eh?

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009

ChunkyMonkey.... What a great insight to the battles we face within ourselves!   Thank you for putting into words something that we all deal with but don't know how to express.

Another "Didja know" that I heard (not from a doctor, but from someone I believed) is that for every pound you lose, it removes 4 pounds of pressure off of the hip joints when running.  So since June, I have relieved 120lbs of pressure off of my hips.  I don't know if that number could be backed up, but the math would agree.

I hope I don't have to go to work today....weather is terrible and yesterday we did not have ONE customer come to the shop in the 4 hours I was there.  And we're in a liquidation/going out of business sale right now.  I'd rather spend extra time at the gym learning the other equipment.

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• Runninoob Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    18. Jan 8, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

OK, you all may laugh, but I have to ask - How do you folks up North run in this cold weather? I ran outside last night, and the temp was around 35, with a wind chill of around 25. When I was running into the wind, I could hardly breathe! I tried breathing through my nose and out through my mouth, that was better, but I wound up with a frozen nose. So, since I am running tomorrow, and it is going to be in the 20's... do you guys have any advice?

Thanks!

Jeff H.

12/2/2008 - 399 lbs.  - 11/2/2009 - 289 lbs.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just fur Fun 5K, College Station, TX  11/21/09 - 42:11

Jingle Bell Fun Run 2 miles, College Station, TX  12/6/09 - 25:55

New Year's Resolution 5K, College Station, TX 1/9/10 - 37:38

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    19. Jan 8, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to Runninoob)

Hey Guys,

I've been reading the posts and I feel like everyone of them is speaking to me.  I have a 5K this Sunday, and it's supposed to be 28 degrees with a wind chill in the teens, and me being so slow, I'm going to be out there a long time in the cold.  Needless to say, I'm dreading this run (and it was my idea to sign up in the first place, as my husband keeps telling me!!).  I don't remember, but maybe I was drinking when I decided that running a 5K every Sunday in January was a good idea.  I had high hopes for a mild winter.

Angel and Irish-I wasn't a runner and I was heavier than I am now when I got married.  I regret not being more fit then, but I don't want either of you to be too hard on yourselves. I know there is pressure to fit into your dress, but just remember, it's your day, and regardless, you will be the most beautiful peson at the wedding--you are the bride after all!!  I bet if you run just to relieve some stress and improve your stamina, you will feel better.

Penguin-I hope you are feeling better.  On Tuesday I felt a pull in the front of my right hip, which had never hurt before, and I was in the middle of my 3 1/2 mile run.  My hip was screaming with everystep, and I finally had to walk the rest of the way home. I was in so much pain, I could barely walk and had a lot of trouble sleeping.  I was really concerned.  I iced the area for awhile, rested to two days, and today, it was still stiff, but I felt much better.  I hope you have similar success.

CM and Ovenfried-I like your "didja know" facts.  I can't wait to take more time off of my running, because I'm still turtlin', and it's always better when there is less pressure on your hips, because I've always had problems with them (I was born with a dislocated hip and required surgery and a body cast when I was a toddler).  It will be a great day when I don't expect pain in my hips when I exert myself.

Jasmine-It's good to hear from you again, and I hope all is well. How did you get up to run 6 miles already?  I want to run a 10K on 5/2/10 and need to increase my mileage.  That's really awesome!!  I took a bit of a hiatus around Christmas, and you were right, when I went back to run, I didn't push myself too hard in the beginning, and it felt pretty good.

Runninoob-I'm in NY, and it's been pretty bad here in terms of weather and temp.  There are hats/masks that you can buy that cover you face, but I find that if you wrap a scarf around your face and use that to breathe through your mouth, it keeps the air humid enough that your lungs won't burn.  I will use one, but I will occasionally breathe outside the scarf, and then go back in the scarf if the air feels to cold in my lungs.  Also, when it's that cold, you need to take a little extra time to warm up and get your joints and muscles warmed up before and after running.  And make sure you dress in layers, keeping your wicking(sp?) clothes closest to your body so when you sweat the shirt takes the sweat and doesn't make you cold.  Cover your head and hands also to protect from frostbite. Hopefully this helps with your cold weather runs.  Good luck!

I ran 5K today, just to make sure I can still do it despite my former injury and lack of running for the last couple of days.  I finished in about 46 min.  I've decided that during the winter, I'll continue to increase my stamina, but increasing my speed is going to have to wait until spring.  Anyway, happy running everyone!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    20. Jan 9, 2010 7:33 AM (in response to ovenfried)

I'm sitting here at a cyber cafe, waiting for the "Y" to open, for my last workouts here in CA. I'm planning a speed workout on the treadmill, followed by a swim. I finally got the paperwork I needed so I could handle the banking stuff before I leave, and I'm finishing up with that after the workout.  I've got a 'red-eye' tonight, back to the frozen land of the South.

I did a 4-mile run on the streets here Thurs, then came back and watched Alabama beat Texas in the BCS game.  I'm sorry, but road runs here in this desert suburb are uninspiring, with all of the traffic and brown-ness. One good thing here is the broad vistas in the high desert, where you can see across the valley for 20-50 miles, until you reach the mountains.

I got up to 6 miles (Sunday), using the Cool Running 5K (12 wk) Intermediate plan.  It is built with 3, 4, 5 and finally 6 mi runs after only 4 weeks, then alternates between 5 & 6 mi runs each wk for the remaining 8 wks.  So, though I've been inconsistent with weekly mileage for the 5K program, and I'm way off on my triathlon cross training schedule, I'll just pick up for the last 5 weeks, and train for a 4 mi race on Valentines Day.  After that I'm switching to the Hal Higdon Intermediate 10K program, that I'm modifying so that I can do a 10K 4/10, and barely do a half-marathon 4/24.

I sure miss Mr. & Mrs. AFMR.  They are doing intermittent updates to their blog: http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com/ They are getting a treadmill at home, so they can workout when its too cold outside in MN.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

Oct 19, 2007
    21. Jan 9, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to Runninoob)

"OK, you all may laugh, but I have to ask - How do you folks up North run in this cold weather?"  On a treadmill, cowboy.

I'm originally from Michigan but I've only ran outside in the cold when I was foolish enough to sign up for a race and even then I was thinking, "What the *$%^ was I thinking?"   I know.  Wah -wah.  On the up side:  I did a personal best in that race because I figured the sooner I finished the sooner I could put on my warm clothes again.  Look at it this way: from every run we get something out of it.  Sure we get fitness and blahblahblah, but we also achieve something unique after each one.  Sometimes it's stress relief, other times it's a nice way to enjoy a perfect day, etc.  When you run outside, just think that you are actually becoming a hardcore runner.  You tell people you're running outside in these temps they think you're crazy.  Personally, I kind of like that.  It's all part of running and developing that runner's mentality which is some areas deviates drastically from the rest of society.  Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong.  Hot, cold, long, short, early, late, light, dark, easy, hard.  You'll also get some serious street cred from other runners, so that's kind of cool.  And besides, doesn't that warm shower feel even better after a brisk outdoor effort?  Oh, you know it does!

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    22. Jan 9, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

Chunky Monkey,

Thanks so much for that long post about you and your running.  Although 5K's are all I've done to date, I finished my first triathlon this summer and it was wonderful!  I identified with so much of what you said and I think I'll frequent this group more.  I'm 200+ and like you, am broad shouldered and just destined to be 200+.  Technically 60 lbs overweight but I always have people say they wouldn't have know that. I'm female, but at 6'......

I like reading posts where people say their long runs are around 13/14 m/m.  Makes me feel like I'm not such a slogger.

Anyhow, thanks.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

Oct 19, 2007
    23. Jan 9, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Turtle!  You go out there and give 'em what for, missy!  I'm sure you will do well.  I've seen in a few races I've ran people have shirts that on the back say, "6 months ago this seemed like a good idea" and I think unless the weather is picture perfect or the distance lower, everyone at some point in a more challenging race or even run thinks that same exact thought.  I'm sure you will do well and I look forward to your post detailing your adventure.  I love living vicariously through others.

Angel and Irish - why the pressure for the wedding?  Who put it on you?  I know your grooms to be love you unconditionally and are proud of what you are doing, and your friends and family all support you and are looking forward to a great party afterward.  Take it easy on yourselves.  I know, easy for a guy to say, huh?  One thing I can tell you is future husbands don't really care so much about the wedding ceremony itself, we just want to be married to you.  We'd be fine w/ a JOP and a beer after.  We go through all that stuff for you because we love you and we want you to be happy because it sounds cliche, but on the wedding day our happiness really IS your happiness.  If your guy thinks you're beautiful as you are now, he'll think you're even more beautiful in your dress walking down the aisle.  Trust me. I'm a guy.

Ovenfried, great info on the joint impact stuff.  Yet another benefit to our insanity.  I'd go with it.  I take a combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement every day and it's really helped me a lot.  As I wrote in one of my earlier posts I have degenative arthritis and my knees are shot, but that supplement has really worked for me and even w/ all the weight I've lost I still hover around 200.  Hasn't taken all the pain away 100% but it has done wonders to the point where before surgeons wanted to do knee replacements, now the knees only hurt when it's going to rain.  It works from the inside out though rebuilding the joint cartilage instead of temporarily deadening the pain so it may be a few weeks before a person feels any relief in their joints.  May want to look at that a little more there, Turtle.

You know, something else people might think about is getting a subscription to Runner's World magazine.  They've got all kinds of really good articles.  Sure there's lots of stuff about the pencil necks in there and their insane training routines, but they have things in there for regular people, too.  I really enjoy it and sometimes you can get a subscription pretty cheap.  I have found it also helps me mentally when I'm not reading it also because I'll see it around the house somewhere and it reminds me.

Jan 9, 2001
    24. Jan 9, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

DanceWalkRunPen,

I was wondering which Galloway program you are switching to?  10K or 1/2 or full Marathon?  I'm in my 7th week of the C25K program (not novice, just away from running for about 5 months), and have been looking at the next step..OHR, Galloway 10K, and Higdon's 10 training.  Just not sure who's I want to do.

How's the Galloway training working for you?

Jill

Upcoming Races:

Oct 19, 2007
    25. Jan 9, 2010 9:33 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

By the way and just out of curiosity and if you're so inclined:  I would really like to hear about you running epiphanies.  When did it finally dawn on you that yes, you are a runner?  When did you finally accept the title and start to think "us" instead of "them" when you think about runners?

Jan 9, 2001
    26. Jan 9, 2010 9:54 AM (in response to Tchotchke)

A quick intro.  ;-)

Hi Everybody!  My name is Jill.  35 years young and mother to three (4, 8, 10).  I won't give you my exact weight, but I'm about 38lbs over 200lbs.  ;-)  I'm 6' with an athletic build (aka broad shoulders), so no cross country runner girl here.

I've been running off and on for about 5 years now.  So I've done the C25K several times.  I've run quite  few 5K's as well.  This last summer I participated in my first sprint triathlon and boy was that race made for me.  Loved it!

I am getting into the training game earlier this year for the tri so I'm on my 7th week of the C25K right now.  I've had terrible problems with plantar fasciitis (sp) in the past but it's been gone for about a year now *knocks on some serious wood*.  I was running in stability shoes with hard orthodics..thanks for nothing old foot doctor....and now am in neutral running shoes with OTC Sole inserts.....thanks new foot doctor!  ;-)  I also ice both feet after my runs "just in case".

I run on both the TM and outside, just depends on mood/weather.  I used to run religiously with a HRM, but this time around I'm just running by feel now that I know what I'm doing.  I'll strap the chest bondage on when I start to get more serious about performance.  Right now I'm just getting my body readjusted to running (bones, lungs, feet, etc).

My Goals:  I really want to run longer distance races.  5K's for fun, 10K is my next goal, and then a 1/2 sometime this fall or next spring...hopefully.  I also want to train better in the swimming and biking and do a few more triathlons a summer instead of just one.  Another goal is to show my kids it's fun to exercise.  My older two are already in sports, and are interested in kids triathons....awesome!

Right now my first 5K is scheduled for March.  I'm like Chunky Monkey.  I like to do 5K's with nice scenery.  Or places I don't normally go.  A mini-road trip if you will.  ;-)  And the money has to be for a good cause, or something I support.

So, I'm trying to figure out what my next step is after the C25K.  It seems like I can incorporate Weeks 8 and 9 into the beginning of any of the 10K programs, or even the OHR.  Not sure what I want to do yet.  Any advice on what you guys are doing right now and how you like it would be great!  I've not ever ventured past the 5K distance before.

Also, do any of you do the tempo and fartlet runs?  Or did you wait till you had the "6 months under your belt" of running?  I'd like to try to start to do things that will help my speed.  In good time of course.  I'm tired of being under 5.0 mph for my regular runs.

~Jill

Jill

Upcoming Races:

Oct 19, 2007
    27. Jan 9, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to jcrule)

Jcrule how cool!  I thought I was the only one who ever used "slogger".  My sister!

Congrats on the Tri finish!  That is so cool!  I wish I had the time to train for a short one.  I think that would be a most excellent adventure if only for one time but there are some people in this forum that have completed tri's before.  For the weight, I hear it all the time and I guess it's ok.  Do people say, "You carry it well"?  I don't know about you but according to the charts, my "healthy" weight range for my height is 150-185 lbs.  I'll tell you right now if I ever got down to 170 they'd put me in the hospital and stick an IV in me.  My BMI is now just under the "obese" range.  What can we do?  I guess what people like you and I CAN do is enjoy the occasional times where people smaller than us find out we are healthier and can outrun them.  Besides, being small is over-rated.  I think by having an athletic build it actually serves us well as we advance in age because we won't be so bent over and slouched.

Something else I think is a positive for being the size I am:  I may take a while to cover ground, but when the winds pick up I don't get buffetted as much as the pencil necks.  And during races when another runner and I accidentally bump into each other, I am not the one who's stride is interrupted or who's line altered.

Look at it this way: at least in the tri's they have the Athena and Clydesdale classes so we don't have to compete with the "natural" runners.  Wish they had those classifications in running.  I went for a VO2 MAX test one time and when I finished the tester started my debrief with, "You know, for a man of your stature...." which to my little ears sounded like, "You surprised the hell out of me, chubby".

Nice to have you here and I look forward to your posts.

Jan 9, 2001
    28. Jan 9, 2010 10:06 AM (in response to This IS my race pace)

Us VS Them, ahh yes.  I've know that feeling.  I have neighbors who are the "pencil neck" ultra runners...no joke!  100+ mile races...crazy.

Anyhow, I think I realized I'm a runner when on my off days I feet like I wanted to go on an "unscheduled" run.  ;-)  I never was a runner.  I hated basketball practice.  I have now realized I am not sprinter, I am a runner.  Running isn't easy, but would it be a workout if it were "easy"?

I realized I was a runner when I started to frequent the race schedule websites.  ;-)

I realized I was one of "us" when I saw the pencil necks running by and we just waved and I didn't feel inferior to them.

Jill

Upcoming Races:

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    29. Jan 9, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to jcrule)

Ya know, I haven't actually picked a real "program" yet. I have just been aiming toward the run-walk-run plan of Galloway's.

I got my Ironman triathlon watch on Monday, but unfortunately that was the day I first felt the twinge in my hip. Two days later out for a run again and the first step had me in pain. This despite walking treadmill the night before without issue.

Now the pain shows up on walks, too. Last night I did 40 minutes of treadmill and kept compensating and figuring out how to keep it from screaming at me. But really I just have to take a few days off.

So I haven't gotten to play with my new toy very much! But I think I'm going to like the interval signals.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...