Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1357 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2010 3:24 PM by JohnFKerr RSS
Solsenz Amateur 14 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2010 12:55 PM

first time 1/2 question

I've been running for a while, but wouldn't consider me experienced. Did quite a few 5ks last year for the first time and a recent 10k that I was pretty pleased with. I have been putting in about 16-20 miles per week and am sorry to say I'm a treadmill runner, train hard, and am fairly happy with the results thus far. Just started a 16 week 1/2 marathon training plan, but am considering doing one on April 1st. Too soon? Thoughts, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks.

• donmurf Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 28, 2008
    1. Jan 7, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: first time 1/2 question

That's pleanty of time to prepare for a 1/2.  In fact, that's enough time to prepare for a full.  It's just a matter of getting used to the long miles.  You're not planning on doing all of your training via treadmill, are you?  There is the vast difference between the treadmill and road running.  But, if you have a training system set up, just follow it - those usually work for 'most' runners.

Good luck!

• JohnFKerr Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 22, 2008
    2. Jan 7, 2010 3:24 PM (in response to Solsenz)
    Re: first time 1/2 question

Just make sure you can break through the time barrier to be running for longer than a 10k. It took me a while mentally to do this. I would even say dont worry at all about the pace.. just get out, or on the treadmill, and see if you can run for an hour and 45 mins. then see about 2 hours. if you can do 2 hours, you're golden for a half marathon in my opinion even if it takes you longer than 2 hours.. the important point (to me) is pushing your horizon into a longer time period of running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points