Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59150 Views 286 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 2:19 PM by Mary29831 Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Previous Next
  • tweidler Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    166. Jan 10, 2010 4:58 PM (in response to Jag92288)
    Re: Starting Couch to 5k Program Sunday 12/6

Hi there!

Back from California. Unfortunately I did not get to run on the trip. I did complete W5D2 today. W5D3 is next - I both dread and look forward to it.

It looks like everyone is marching along. Keep it up!

Current C25K Status: Finished 2/28/2010!

Sep 14, 2007
    167. Jan 10, 2010 5:08 PM (in response to Want2doit)

Welcome to the group, Want2doit.

Most of us found the first 2-3 weeks to be not too bad.

Congrats on setting a race date. The target race is a great way to push you through this program.

• Shaun1215 Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    168. Jan 11, 2010 4:13 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Hey guys, Finished week 4 yesterday and getting started on week 5 tomorrow. Keep going!

• Annette1014 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 20, 2009
    169. Jan 11, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to Shaun1215)

I have been bad. I let life (and the snow) get in the way of my running, but I'm going to be back at it tonight. I'm going to start back at W2D1 because I haven't ran in a week. I walked just over a mile on Satuday night in 4 degree weather and found my shins to be aching Sunday morning. (they're still sore) I don't think me and the cold weather like each other.

Congrats to all of you that are on W4 and W5, that's amazing!!! I hope all of you that had colds are over them now. Being sick is definitely not fun!

• Mary29831 Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 6, 2009
    170. Jan 11, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Finished w6d2 today. Have a cold so that's been a little setback but so far I feel great. Only problem I'm encountering is the difference b/t treadmill and running outside. Outside is so much harder! My running pace is about 4.9 on TM, which is slow, but I figure I'll build endurance and then focus on time. Planning on first 5k on 2/13. Unlikely I'll break 30 minutes on that but I'm ok with that for first run. Anyone w/ tips on TM training and how often I should force myself outdoors in the cold? 20 min run on TM no prob - outside 20 min is hard!

• BioChick Amateur 34 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    171. Jan 11, 2010 6:22 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Hi All...

I finished W4 tonight and plan on starting W5 on Wednesday.  W4D3 was definitely easier than W4D1!  I guess that's a good sign!  Glad to see everybody's progress...keep up the good work!

Follow my journey to fitness and a healthier lifestyle....http://runningdownadream2010.blogspot.com

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    172. Jan 12, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to Jag92288)

W6D1 last night. Eighteen minutes of running  jogging but it did not feel hard.

• Zeesparrow Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    173. Jan 12, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to Mary29831)

Mary, I've read that running on the TM with an incline (of 1%) makes the transition easier.  http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/treadincline.htm  There's some debate as to the accuracy of such a claim, and while running outside is generally preferable, it's not always possible for everyone.

I do my workouts on the TM for two reasons right now: one, I will admit I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold and know that I'm much more likely to do the workout if I don't have to fight that too.... and two, when I go outside I almost always take the dogs with me.  It's hard enough to walk with them, much less jog at specific intervals.  By the end of week 6 (just over a week away for me), I'll be at that stage where my runs are to be continuous... then that second reason will contribute less and become more of an excuse, so hopefully I can overcome the first and just get my butt outside.

ANYways...I just completed W1D1.  On the TM with a 1% incline.

Keep on runnin!!

• Want2doit Amateur 17 posts since
    Jan 10, 2010
    174. Jan 12, 2010 9:15 AM (in response to tweidler)

Thanks for your encouragement!!  What week did you find the transition the most difficult?  I can't wait until spring to run outside....the treadmill gets so tiring after a while.  What do you all do on your off days to keep the pace?

• Marie 21420 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009
    175. Jan 12, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to Jag92288)

Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Couch to 5k program turned a 44 year old smoker (36 years) into a runner.  I quit smoking on 6/29/09 and started the Couch to 5k program the next week.  I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for over 6 months and thanks to Robert and his program I run 3-5 miles everyday even in the cold. Today is 32 degrees and I will be lacing up my running shoes soon.

The point is that if I can accomplish this then anyone can. I could not run 1 city street when I started, I could not breathe at all. My first 20 minute run was a miracle and I could not believe I actually did it.  That was back in September and my first 5k was the Tunnel to Towers run in NY.  I finished in 31.05 but I was just happy to finish at all.

Keep running!!!!

• Jo Tups Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    176. Jan 12, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to Jag92288)

I started W3D1 today on a treadmill.  I tried to keep track of yards/mileage = to time and I had a hard time doing that.  When I would up my speed i would go over the mileage.  So I was just wondering what all of you did when you had to start running yards compared to time.  Any advise would help.  I want to make sure i am getting everything out of it.

• Shevek Amateur 36 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    177. Jan 12, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to Jag92288)
    running in cold

I have not found the cold a real problem (though snow falling into my face when the wind hit it right was annoying). I usually wear the same simple outfit. I have long underwear top and a polar fleece jacket. I have a headband to keep my head warm (and keep my ear buds in). If it is below 32 F windchill, I have a pair of gloves on (look like http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Fingerless-Gloves-Glomitt-Turquoise/dp/B002SUWNX2 ). I waer some cheap plastic sweats that have a cotton lining.

This has worked for me down to a windchill in the teens and during a snowfall (Temp around 30). My routine is to do 50 jumping jacks and stretches inside to warm up, then go outside to start my five minute walk. So I am pretty warm when I get out the door . By the time I have run five minutes or run-walk 10, I am usually so warm that I take the hood off my fingers to cool off a bit.
    I was amazed at how little i need to wear running in the cold. YMMV

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    178. Jan 12, 2010 1:50 PM (in response to Shevek)
    Re: running in cold

I've been stuck on week 4 for two weeks now.  Could not complete the last 5 minute run yesterday, though I forced myself to run as much of it as I could.  This week I'm really focusing on eating right to insure I have the proper energy and to insure I lose some weight and I'm going make sure I run when I have the most energy.

I'm also doing low impact/low intensity walks on the non-running days which I've found helps keep my knees and ankles feeling good and loose.

I'm planning on doing a 5k on March 14th so I think I'm still in good shape to make that date.

Sep 14, 2007
    179. Jan 12, 2010 9:13 PM (in response to Jag92288)

Finished W5D3 tonight!! Happy dance time!

My trainer from the gym actually drove into town to run with me after work. I was so glad because today was one of those days where I did not have 'it'. It was not easy but I made it. I will start week 6 tomorrow or Thursday. 

For me, I don't know if it is necessarily the treadmill or outdoors that makes a difference, but how I feel. Some days are blah and I have nothing like tonight and I just go and move through the routine. Other times I feel great and the routine is no big deal.

Marie 21420 - thank you for telling your story - I found it very inspirational. Here is some more inspiration and information for everyone - I follow @Cool_Running on twiitter and this message was tweeted today: Fan Spotlight: Congrats to Angela Barnett Tran = started C25K in the summer, ran a 5K in Oct, a 10K in Nov, and will run a 1/2 marathon next. If you use twitter. @Cool_Running posts lots of links to helpful running training tips.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...