Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9992 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2007 3:19 PM by lamerunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 2, 2007 6:19 AM (in response to mayfield017)
    Re: Boston while pregnant....

quote:

Originally posted by mayfield:

maryt...thanks for the concern but I don't think you're really grasping the situation very well or else you don't have much of a sense of humor. I am very confident in my ability to care for myself and my baby and yes, I am able to gauge my exertion level. Marathons are more or less stressful depending on the individual's fitnes level. I know you only have my best interest in mind, so thank you. I will now return to worrying over caffeine, folic acid, hot baths, mercury, vaccinations,microwaves, vitamin a, my dog's flea medication, nail salons, non organic fruits and vegetables, sushi, soft cheese, deli meats, tap water, sleeping on my back, and now.....stress hormones!

You're right, I don't have much of a sense of humor when I think people may be planning to do something that might put a child at risk. I'm not concerned about you - I don't think you will have a problem finishing or miscarry on the course - it's the long term effects on your baby that concern me. I think I'm grasping the situation a whole lot better than you appear to be, perhaps because I've studied toxicology and problems that can effect the unborn and know that many things done during a pregnancy can harm an unborn child and the effects not be realized for years, like smoking, some drugs, etc. Don't forget the fact that when you do have heat problems, one of the things that happens is confusion, so maybe you shouldn't be quite very confident in your ability to gauge your exertion level; you may not realize how bad a shape you're in. I know many seasoned marathoners who have run Boston, thought they were doing OK, but ended up in med tents. You certainly aren't going to know what your'e doing to your baby, despite your being "very confident" in your ability to care for it. If you travel to Boston (sounds like you're not local) and the day dawns unusually warm, once you're actually at a race it's a lot harder to make the decision not to run - same goes for overheating late in the race. Will you really not start if your'e at the race? Or be able to realize you should stop, if you are just a couple miles short of the finish line?

So add a few more to your list of concerns about mercury and the like, concerns about your own elevated temperature while doing a marathon - how different is it likely to be from getting into a hot tub, which you already know you should't do?  Also add  dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and the likely long time delays to get back if you decide to stop.  It's not just the corticoid steroids released that  can be problem for an unborn.  Maybe you shouldn't be quite so confident about your ability to care for your baby and run a marathon at the same time. 

Could be the risks are low, but noone knows one way or the other, so why take a chance?  To answer the question you first posed, is it possible and not completely foolish to still want to go to Boston and just participate: to want to go is quite reasonable and understandable, but to take the risk and actually do so?  Possible, yes, but also foolish.

You can run Boston another year - your baby doesn't have another chance to develop.   Put your baby first.

• tuscaloosarunner Rookie 726 posts since
    Apr 7, 2006
    16. Dec 20, 2007 10:12 PM (in response to mayfield017)

quote:

maryt...thanks for the concern but I don't think you're really grasping the situation very well or else you don't have much of a sense of humor. I am very confident in my ability to care for myself and my baby and yes, I am able to gauge my exertion level. Marathons are more or less stressful depending on the individual's fitnes level. I know you only have my best interest in mind, so thank you. I will now return to worrying over caffeine, folic acid, hot baths, mercury, vaccinations,microwaves, vitamin a, my dog's flea medication, nail salons, non organic fruits and vegetables, sushi, soft cheese, deli meats, tap water, sleeping on my back, and now.....stress hormones!

Are you looking for an opinion or for permission? Not trying to be mean, just trying to get to the heart of the matter. Completely agree w/ Laker and Mary--not worth the risk.

Boston will always be there. Why not run it when you can give it your all?

[http://This message has been edited by tuscaloosarunner (edited Mar-02-2007).|http://This message has been edited by tuscaloosarunner (edited Mar-02-2007).]

• thereshegoes Rookie 330 posts since
    Jun 15, 2006
    17. Mar 2, 2007 8:59 AM (in response to mayfield017)

I am in the maryt, laker, tuscaloosa camp.  You should still be qualified for 2008.  I understand the desire to get the Boston experience, but I personally would never put that before the health of my babyeven if there was no definitive proof that getting that experience would do harm.  And I say this as someone who regularly pushes the envelope in terms of running with minor injuries, chest colds, in extremish weather, etc.  Running regularly through your preganancy is cool if sanctioned by your ob.  But running a marathon is different then running an easy 20-30 mpw.  Even if you run it slow, you'll be out there under stress for around 4 hours or so.  I just don't understand why it's worth it. I don't think you're a bad person or bad mother for considering itI can relate to your perserverance--but I have to say I think you're really risking way too much for something you can do next year.  That's my opinion anyway.  I wish you the best whatever you decide.

• donnyl Amateur 587 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    19. Mar 2, 2007 2:06 PM (in response to mayfield017)

quote:

It's hard to give up on something I worked very hard for especially since there are no guarantees that I'll get back to Boston.

But, marathon or not, I plan to keep on running. Thanks again!

Wow, gotta love your priorities. If this was letsrun I'd swear you were a troll.

• shufflingfeet Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Mar 2, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to mayfield017)

quote:

Wow, I appreciated everybody's opinion on the marathon but certainly don't appreciate being judged by someone who has no idea what they are talking about and no constructive information to add to the conversation.

Mayfield - Amen to that! I completely agree and that's why I chose not to ask others' opinions about what to do with regards to deciding to run my marathon. Lots of differing opinions and yes a lot of judgment. I made the decision to run my marathon while pregnant (8wk) in a cool weather marathon, but actually did not tell anyone (except my OB and DH of course - my OB actually was completely fine with it and I made sure she understood that this was 26.2 miles, not just an average run) because I knew the criticism and judgment that comes with that. I actually felt the best I have ever felt after that marathon. FWIW, that was my 8th marathon, and although that doesn't consider me a veteran marathoner, I have never had to visit the med tent (and don't plan to). I know my body and my limits, yes even at mile 23-24. I did have support with me throughout the course in case something did happen and I needed a way back. In fact, I still haven't told many in my running community because of others' judgment re: my decision to continue running (much shorter distances now of course) and I would just rather not be judged in my decisions. It just seems to make others overly concerned which in turn makes me irritated so I figure there's absolutely no point in that. I too am missing Boston this year and would have loved to have gone. I am disappointed because my qualifying race would have put me in wave 1. I'm not sorry I'm missing Boston, but yes I am disappointed to have to miss it this year. Sorry for those of you who judge me to be a bad person because I feel this way. I pondered the idea of paying the fees and deferring for one year, but decided against that because of course there's another Boston, even if I will no longer qualify for the first wave. And of course, my baby takes priority above all else. Disappointment about not being able to run Boston does not equal disappointment in having this baby. I am absolutely thrilled.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

• willamona Rookie 387 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Mar 2, 2007 6:14 PM (in response to mayfield017)

I am very sorry that you must deal with this negativity.  maryt is usually very harsh and misinformed so I would tend to ignore that person.  As for the others meh.  It is my understanding that when you are pregnant your body does everything that it can to protect the fetus.  You will not be able to perform very well and it seem that you have excepted that.

After talking to your doctor and of course pledging to keep the HRM on during your run, I wish you well. I hope that no one on the course is as judgmental at those popping up here though. They may have things to throw at you while they run. Title 9 was not that long ago and many people are not accustom to seeing pregnant women in sporting events.

Do it for the love of the sport. Do it to show the world that we can. One of the best things I have ever seen in my life was a very pregnant woman running in a college track meet. I loved watching every minute of it. Good luck!

----

My myspace[/URL" target="_blank">
    My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Low Heart Rate Training FAQ [/URL" target="_blank"> Because many have  asked...

• CarboDiem Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 25, 2005
    23. Mar 2, 2007 6:21 PM (in response to mayfield017)

Go for it.

• skbunny Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 12, 2006
    24. Mar 2, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to mayfield017)

Good luck in Boston. I have full confidence you will make the right choice when you see you are overexerting yourself. Getting in the car is dangerous, eatings fresh spinach can be risky. There was an article once in either Runner's World or Running Times about a woman completing a marathon and being just fine. Talk to a doctor who knows a thing or two about running (most of them are pathetically ignorant), observe how you respond to increases in training and enjoy the experience.

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Mar 3, 2007 7:13 AM (in response to mayfield017)

quote:

Originally posted by willamona:

I am very sorry that you must deal with this negativity. maryt is usually very harsh and misinformed so I would tend to ignore that person. As for the others meh. It is my understanding that when you are pregnant your body does everything that it can to protect the fetus.

Willamona
    I have a degree in medicinal chemistry, and read the medical literature, so I really don't think I'm misinformed. Yes, your body does everything it can to protect the fetus, but it needs help from the person carrying the fetus. Your body has a very tough time protecting the fetus from elevated body temperature, for example, and the body can't help the fetus deal with folic acid deficiency, smoking, alcohol, all sorts of things, if the mother doesn't consciously make an effort to do everything she can to help protect the fetus as well.

Unfortunately, unless there are lots of cases to study - and there certainly haven't been a lot of women running marathons while pregnant - long term effects of risky things that happen during pregnancy just aren't known. Many women smoked during pregnancy and most of their babies appeared to be healthy at birth. It wasn't until long term studies were done that it was realized more of those babies had more colds, more infections, and were overall slower learners than children of mothers who did not smoke. The drug Thalidomide caused obvious birth defects, but Diethylstilbestrol given to many pregnant women before 1971 was later shown to cause increases in vaginal and breast cancer and sterility in their daughters - serious effects not realized until 20-30 years after birth, when their babies couldn't have babies of their own!

So that's why I say no one truly knows at this point what harm running a marathon can do or has done to a fetus along for the ride, even if  a few women have completed marathons and their babies appeared to be healthy at birth.  Elevated body temperature for several hours duration of a marathon (elevated body temperatures of 2-3 degrees or more happen routinely during marathons) or electrolyte imblances (30% of  people tested after one marathon were found to be low in sodium levels), or a period of dehydration, etc., or those eleveated levels of cortisol that don't appear in shorter races where you don't run low on muscle glycogen - it's known that all those things can be bad for a fetus taken alone, but nobody knows just how bad they might be in any particular marathon. Nobody knows what the effect might be on any particular fetus either, but seems like most would agree there is  at least some extra risk compared with running shorter distances.

mayfield
    I really don't mean to be harsh.  I can undestand you're still tryng to come to grips with the unexpected pregnancy and I swear signing up for a marathon does strange things to one's mind regardless!  It's very hard to give up the idea once you've put in all that training - it's like an addiction. I know lots of people, myself included, who ran marathons when they were injured, for example, and knew (or should have known) it was a really bad idea and would set them back. Did that myself in 2000 and it helped turn a minor knee problem into a major chronic injury.  Just remember, you have more than just yourself to consider. Regardless of what you decide, best wishes for you both!

• frankgeo Rookie 26 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Mar 3, 2007 1:46 PM (in response to mayfield017)

Here's an interesting article:

http://active.com/story.cfm?story_id=7944&sidebar=13&category=running[/URL" target="_blank">

The thing to keep in mind:

she ran a marathon while pregnant<br /><br />she miscarried later at 10 weeks

This is just one story. But it has to make you think.

Here's another:

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/running_after_baby_back_on_the_trail/C40/L40/[/URL" target="_blank">

Another person training for a long run...another miscarriage.

It can happen. Maybe it was because of the marathon. Maybe not. The truth is...running a marathon can jack up the risk-factor. To what extent is unclear...but are you willing to live with it?

There's a great quote in there:

"I ran through early twenties angst, moving across the country, Oregon rain, Montana ice, turning thirty but pregnancy was one thing I could not run through."

Running a marathon is hard enough when you're healthy and not pregnant.

I've done 5 marathons and every time I think I've come out in worse shape then when I went in. Unlike normal running of just a few miles a day, marathons tend to hurt your health rather than help it. The recovery takes a while and it does put your body through stress.

I'm not an expert, I'm not female, I've never been pregnant and I can't quantify the level of risk that you are exposing yourself to by running a marathon at a certain stage of pregnancy. But I tend to agree with maryt...there is a dearth of data...especially long term... out there on this. Not many women were running marathons until the last 15 or 20 years and I don't know what studies have been done.

My personal belief is that one should only do a marathon if they have no other ailments that could get potentially get in the way. I've seen too many people run through marathons with stress fractures, tears or other injuries; and I've seen them reap the consequences for months or even years afterwards.

As for just "participating" in it rather than racing in it...I know from experience that that can be deceiving too. It's very hard to hold back once I make up my mind to go a certain pace...and I only tend to go faster once I start and not slower.
    I'd be asking myself: "at what speed exactly am I comfortable with?". Is it 30 seconds slower than normal pace? A minute? Why not 2 minutes? Why not 10 minutes per mile slower? I'd also be asking myself: "Am I comfortable knowing that I'm going to be exerting this effort but still not putting forth my best performance" while taking into account the risks.

If you have any doubt about whether your physical condition is adequate, I would say don't do it. From my point of view, a successful pregnancy is more impressive than a great marathon.

----

http://www.geocities.com/frankgeo[/URL" target="_blank">

• kjkleeb Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 5, 2006
    27. Mar 3, 2007 2:10 PM (in response to mayfield017)

There is a really great book called Exercising Through YOur Pregnancy by a Doctor John Trapp. Please get it and read it. I didn't find it til my 8th month and had I found it sooner I would have exercised much more and maybe participated in some races while pregnant.

Boston has always been my dream- I have not BQed yet but I totally understand where you are coming from, and the dissapointment you will feel if you decide not to run. If it was me I would consider enjoying the day, taking it way easy, and stopping if I felt anything abnormal. The pace you must keep at to keep your HR under 140 is REALLY slow, at least for me. The concern I would have for myself would be weather I can truly hold back in a race, being a very competitive person.

One other point. In the year after my only child was born, my times started coming DOWN and I PRed by many minutes in the 5k, 10k, and Marathon. I gained the recomended 25lbs and exercised moderately during my pregnancy and I am convinced that the whole experience made me stronger and faster. If you're smart and take care of yourself, you'll be ready to qualify again next year!

• frankgeo Rookie 26 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Dec 20, 2007 10:12 PM (in response to mayfield017)

Originally posted by kjkleeb:

quote:

One other point. In the year after my only child was born, my times started coming DOWN and I PRed by many minutes in the 5k, 10k, and Marathon.

That's also a point made in the articles that I posted too...there's some mention of the women running faster after pregnancy. That's also consistent with what I've observed in my own daily life. I know a lot of women, even a cousin, who did marathons after having a baby and came back even faster than before.

----

http://www.geocities.com/frankgeo[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by frankgeo (edited Mar-03-2007).|http://This message has been edited by frankgeo (edited Mar-03-2007).]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...