Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10189 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2007 3:19 PM by lamerunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • marunr Rookie 159 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 3, 2007 9:19 PM (in response to mayfield017)
    Re: Boston while pregnant....

mayfield...I wish you the best and hope you are happy with whatever you decide. You understand that by posting such a question you open yourself up to all kinds of judgement and opinion, but you seemed to have taken it pretty well without becoming too defensive. Good luck to you and I pray that you'll make the right decision.
    As far as maryt goes, I'd like to say that she has answered this question more than once over the years, and has been very consistent with her advice despite being attacked ferociously at times. I myself have no advice to offer, but I must say I appreciate that she stands up for her convictions and doesn't waiver. Happy running!

• Gotta Run041 Rookie 33 posts since
    Mar 8, 2007
    31. Mar 13, 2007 2:04 PM (in response to mayfield017)

Mayfield, congratulations on your pregnancy!  And congrats on qualifying for Boston.  You are an amazing runner to make it to the big show!  I ran through both of my pregnancies, but as soon as I found out I was pg, I stopped with long runs and did nothing over 6-7 mi a day.  I am conservative on this one.  Listen, in the whole universe of marathons, Boston is the most historical, coolest, most traditional, most glorious.  You are not going to want to stop. There will be soooo much pressure to keep going, especially, since you had to qualify, made travel arrangements, the crowd, the legendary race route, etc etc.   I'd say, stay far, far away from Boston on race day, and rest assured that you are keeping you and your baby safe.  You just don't know, you see? You just don't know the risk.  So DON'T take it.  You WILL qualify again, girl!  You should be qualified for next year.  Take the safest route.  Do it for your baby.  DON'T stop running, but don't take an unnecessary risk.  The marathon distance is unnatural for the human body, period.  Good luck to you and have a safe and healthy pregnancy.  Peace!

• lamerunner Pro 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2004
    32. Mar 13, 2007 3:19 PM (in response to mayfield017)

I am late to the party I guess. Congratulations on  both the BQ and the pregnancy!

This is really an individual thing. If you are fit enough and your body handles pregnancy ok, it may be fine. But it is a risk, probably especially early on. When I got pregnant with my daughter, I was a sub-3 hour marathoner. I ran throughout the pregnancy. I also skiied, hiked and even ice climbed once or twice. I kept my mileage moderate though, 6-7 miles or lower. I gained about 20 lbs.

I would not have considered a marathon during pregnancy. I admired those who did it; I just wasn't comfortable enough with the risk.

You will come back after pregnancy faster than you think. I started running just a couple of weeks after, ran a PR half marathon three months after and ran a 3:03 Boston the folowing year, 9 months out.

Good luck whatever you decide. Don't worry that your running is done, though.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...