Skip navigation

4527 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 5:18 PM by Katrowrice RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • BuckeyeTK Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 18, 2010 12:28 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Riverfront Race Festival Reviews

I ran the 1/2 marathon this weekend and overall really enjoyed the race.  I wasn't sure how the course would be since it did a few loops, but I actually really enjoyed it.  The volunteers were fantastic!  The only negatives I can think of were the water stations (too few and sometimes not stocked---a friend didn't get any water!) and the races started late.  I think this race has great potential and I would recommend it in the future!  Thank you for a great weekend!

• emmydenise Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    16. Jan 18, 2010 12:30 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall, great raceesp for the first time. As many have mentioned, the "extras" were fantasticfrom the shirt to the shrimp and grits. The course was flat and scenic--and I appreciated the band that was playing by the river.

A couple of things I hope they improve next year: people at the mile markers calling out times so you have a sense of how you are doing; real mile markers for the 5k (at the turnaround the woman told me "you're half way there!" and I hadn't even seen a marker for the 1st mile....then around mile 2 the volunteer said "only another mile and a half!"...I was pretty confused about where I actually was in the grand scheme of the distance)

Other than that, great race! Thanks!

• carol85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    17. Jan 18, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I wanted to tell you about how the walkers felt at the marathon. I know there weren't many of us but we were very disappointed that we "didn't count". By the time we were at mile 5 or 6 you pulled all the volunteers. The route was NOT marked well at all and we did not know where to go. We stopped a van (picking up the volunteers) and asked and they then told us. About half of the walkers ahead of us DID NOT  make the correct turn. How could they have known......no one there and no markings. The water stations were pulled and we thought there was supposed to be fruit at some of the stations.

This was the first half for two of us and we were very disappointed that several cars came around and ask if we wanted a ride cause they were pulling everything. NO we didn't want a ride we wanted to finish. Shrimp and grits...not for us everything was gone. We finished in 3 hours and 39 minutes and are very proud we did. We feel the Charleston marathon group could have cared less.

We were hurt and disappointed......but we finished.

• Southridge Runner Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    18. Jan 18, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the half while my wife ran the 10K.  I am in agreement with several of the other reviews.  Yes, we do need bigger mile markers, and we need volunteers who stick to their post.  My wife took a wrong turn due to a volunteer socializing away from their intersection.  However, another runner got her back on track and all was well.  Water and aid stations were a little unorganized, but that is to be expected.  I tell you what was the best and that was the SHRIMP and GRITS!  With it starting to rain and being a little cold. the shrimp and grits were fantastic.    I hope you stick with just a half marathon, along with the 5 and 10 K.  Strategically speaking it's a lot easier than a full marathon, and it takes half the time.  Overall, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best, I rate this race an overall 7. For this being the first time that the race was held I think it was a great success.  Would I run this race again, you  bet. 

• Christiane Farrell Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 14, 2009
    19. Jan 18, 2010 1:19 PM (in response to Guest )

My comments are pretty much the same as the previous ones- the route was good, the shrimp and grits was great. More water stationswith enough cups is a must ! There were no cups at about mile 7 and I really needed something at that point halfway through the run. Also there needs to be more to drink at the end of the run. There should have been more water and gatorade and something else besides beer for those of us who want to celebrate but aren't beer drinkers. The mile markers do need to be larger. I missed some and none of the volunteers were ever able to tell me where I was. Great first year!

• mikemusc Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    20. Jan 18, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the 5k, my first race, and thought the event as a whole was extremely well organized, especially for a first-time event. I liked the free beverages (including beer!) and the shrimp and grits, and found everything to be easy to locate and the place full of friendly people. I will definitely be back next year.

• hissyfit03 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    21. Jan 18, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to Guest )

My husband and I ran the 5K, and had a great time.  The course was very flat, with live music as we ran past the river front, and awesome shrimp and grits at the finish line!  I don't recall seeing any water stations along the 5K route, but plenty of water, gatorade, and beer at the start/finish line.  The registration line was organized, and the t-shirts were very nice.  Parking was plentiful, and the event was easy to find. 

We also participated in the 32-mile cycling event the following day, and didn't feel it was as organized.  The course was not well-marked and there were so many turns, we had to stop several times to ensure we were on the right track.  The rest stops had a nice spread, and the volunteers were very nice.

All in all though, a fun event and I think they had a great first year.

• PonyHudsie Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    22. Jan 18, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought it went really well for the first year, more water stations would have been nice, but I didn't think it was terrible. Really nice volunteer turnout, nice to see our men and women in uniform out on the course! The race terrain however was a bit rough on the half marathoners, lots of steeply graded, pot holed roads with railroad tracks which made finding a flat portion of road to run on tough. Would have liked a real sports massage after too. BUT, the shrimp and grits were marvelous and I will def. do it again! T-shirts were nice~

• wendy kelly Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 3, 2008
    23. Jan 18, 2010 2:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Great first time event! I ran the 1/2 marathon, to which the pre race announcer kept referring as the "half K". I wish! Loved the scenery in N Chas...who knew? Lots of funky road conditions like RR tracks and a berm at the end. Almost ate pavement at about 9-10 miles where a spike or something was sticking out of the road, but that's life. Wished for more/bigger mile markers...never knew where I was. Thanks for the semi-diluted gatorade...So often it's too strong. GAG! Great job and thanks to all for making it go so well and smoothly. Can't wait for next year.

• bweathersby Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2008
    24. Jan 18, 2010 2:29 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall excellent race especially for a first event.  Registration was easy, parking was plentiful, the course was surprisingly scenic and interesting.  The volunteers were helpful and the entertainment along the course was great.

My only complaint regards the water stations.  They seemed irregular and there was one stretch that I thought was too far between stations.   Plus the cups need to be paper - you can't pinch a styrofoam cup and run with it while drinking. 

Look forward to a full marathon option next year, hopefully with some of it downtown where the crowd support will be better.

Great job!

• Matt Jarrett Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    25. Jan 18, 2010 4:37 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the 1/2 marathon.  I thought the logistical side was great, easy parking, registration, etc...The volunteer's were great and they even had bands and stuff along the course!  The only negatives were the road conditions which is one of the reasons we are supporting stuff like this and the styrofoam cups.  Overall, I really enjoyed the race and think it will only get better. 

• mjstern100 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    26. Jan 18, 2010 4:53 PM (in response to Guest )

I did the half and it was a really good time.  As many have said, the organizational side of things was great, especially for a first-time event?close parking, easy packet pick-up, enough port-o-potties where lines weren?t too bad, GREAT VOLUNTEERS, the bands made the course fun, the shirts are cool, and the shrimp and grits were awesome!  Definitely need paper cups and there were quite a few places on course where an ankle or two could have been lost.  However, I thought it was a great event and I?ll be back next year.

• Al Barrett Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2008
    27. Jan 18, 2010 6:15 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the half marathon and the did the metric century bike ride.  For a first time event I thought the half marathon was well run but would have seperate start times for the 10Km and the half.  Only issue with the route was the road conditions in some areas was a bit rough.  Excellent support and entertainment was nice for the route.  For those of us who registered for both days events they had no record of us being registered for the bike ride, only the 1/2 marathon.  As a result, there were not enough cycling shirts for those of us who registered and paid.  As for the bike ride the route was entertaining but because we spent so much time going thru neighborhoods and the downtown area it was a much slower course than courses than I am used to.  Some of us got to the final rest stop before they were able to set up - still fun though.

• LaquitaBlockson Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2009
    28. Jan 18, 2010 7:33 PM (in response to Guest )

I jogged/walked the 1/2 marathon.  This inaugural event was okay; however, as someone who has participated in a number of 10K and half-marathon events, I would suggest a few improvements/enhancements to make future events more successful:

1) First and foremost, while the organizers encouraged "walkers" for all events, it became apparent that those who were walking/jogging the 1/2 marathon at more than a 13-minute/mile pace felt pressured to finish quickly (particularly by police officers) -- very discouraging, to say the least!  Those walkers/joggers who finished at or after the 3:30:00 mark also noticed that the timing team was breaking down its facilities and that the post-race food vendors (particularly the shrimp-and-grits distributors) were either already gone or in the final phase of closing their booths.  Thankfully, I was able to find one of the organizers, who gave me my medal and located a vendor who was able to provide me a post-race meal.  In this light, I suggest the organizers specify the maximum time each course will be open, so that walkers and joggers can plan (or judge) their race pace accordingly (and, if necessary, choose to walk/jog one course over another).  I also suggest that the organizers ensure that a volunteer is available to provide post-race fuel (even if it is simply the usual bagels and fruit) for each participant, regardless of what time the participant completes the course.

2) More portable toilets should be available at each station along the route.  On two occasions, I had to wait to use the toilet because only one toilet was available.

3) Similar to comments made by others, I encourage the organizers to adopt more environmentally-friendly approaches for future races (e.g., paper cups or asking participants to BYOBottle).  It may be helpful for the organizers to benchmark the sustainability efforts the Kiawah Marathon/Half-Marathon organizers have adopted successfully over the last couple years.

4) The course itself was decent, though some spots became hazardous due to the rain.   

5) The volunteers were very supportive, even though the majority of them had left the 1/2 marathon course by 11AM.

I will consider participating in next year's event, if the expectations for all participants (runners, joggers and walkers) are made more explicit. 

• CletusSpuckler Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    29. Jan 18, 2010 8:02 PM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time at the race and would do it again.  The course was fun and highlights the best of North Charleston.  However, here are some things to work on for next year:

1. The organizers should have been clear about having to pick your race packet up in person.

2.  My time was around 1hr 30 minutes in 10k.  It was not posted on the website results or announced when I crossed the finish line. So much for feeling special

?

3.  The organizers were packing up before I made it to most markers. 2 cops told me to get off the road and on the sidewalk because the race was shutting down.  Several key turns were unmarked and not staffed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...