Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2451 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2010 9:30 PM by ExperiencedRunner RSS
Arun Gupta Amateur 9 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2010 11:32 AM

Night Headlamp

Any recommendations for night headlamp ?

There is Petzl, Silva, Coleman, Felix. And multiple features to choose from. And a price range from $40-$200. We need several of them for our team in TheRelay 2010.

What's your preference ?

-Arun

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jan 20, 2010 6:01 AM (in response to Arun Gupta)
    Re: Night Headlamp

I recently picked up a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp, which I love. It's a bit pricey for multiple purchases, though -- around $80 (list; possibly lower if you poke around, but probably not by much). It's rechargable, with variable brightness settings, a red flasher on the back. The battery pack sits on the rear of the headband (integrated with the battery pack), but the whole thing is well balanced and fairly light. I barely notice it's there (except that I can see in the dark).

Others have reported excellent success with some of the less expensive Petzl models. You can get more feedback on one of the previous threads:

http://community.active.com/message/552477

http://community.active.com/message/545811

http://community.active.com/message/540511

Good luck with the relay!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• ExperiencedRunner Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    2. Jan 21, 2010 9:30 PM (in response to dwm082)
    Re: Night Headlamp

What Don said above is absolutely true and correct.  I hope I will not offend him by adding a less costly version for you.  I live in an area that does not have street lights. But in my former home town where i started running when I was fourteen some 33 years ago, the did have street lights and I ran at night all the time. I recently was looking for batteries and came upon headlamps that were advertised for hiking.  But I bought my first one and it was not powerful enough.  I then purchased my current one, from Walmart.  It is a Energizer 3 LED Headlamp  and it is extremely bright.  It is a LED and gives off white blue light.  The batteries last on FLOOD Lamp mode for over 50 hours and the price is around $25.00.

The SPOT LIGHT mode takes the most energy. The FLOOD LAMP mode that I used is extremely bright, and is the mode that you get the maximum amount of hours between battery changes.

Don's version is nice because you can recharge it and may be the best one for you. But you find that a less expensive one will work for you...

I find it nice to have options. No Kidding, I have learn so much from Don and all the other posters to this Active Community....

Hope  you all have a good run.....and can find a good headlamp to light your way....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...