Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

42312 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2010 10:33 PM by dave@sourcedirectpromos.c Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Mary P Ashley Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 11, 2010 4:40 PM (in response to rubina)
    Re: Does anyone know a weight loss strategy???

Join Weight Watchers and actually GO to the weekly meetings.  They coach you every step of the way.  I am a lifetime member which means I attained my goal weight and after I reached my goal, I go MONTHLY to weigh in to make sure I'm within 2 pounds of my goal weight.  It's all about following a plan, recording written progress each day, and accountability weekly/monthly with your group.

I have maintained my weight successfully for 10 years.  Do it now!!  It is the most sensible way to go.  They teach you how to eat, how to measure exercise levels and calories burned.

You'll also learn low fat ways of cooking.

Good luck!

Mary

• KathMcK Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    31. Jan 13, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to rubina)

I know I'm late to this as well. I lost 90 pounds in about 18 months. I have to say that losing weight actually is a bit more complicated than eating less and moving more. Your metabolism is going to have a lot to do with the speed of weight loss, but everyone can do it. The only thing I'd say to a 23-year-old is that it's really important that you don't get yourself on a cycle of fad diets, of losing and regaining -- because it's just going to make it that much harder as you get older as you mess with your metabolism. I've been there, done that.

I did a commercial plan that a friend of mine developed (but note how I'm not promoting it here -- she wouldn't be happy. :-) )

Highlights of the plan include: No booze, no bread or sugar, lots of veggies, portion control, emotional support. My favorite part is the fact that I simply don't have the same kind of cravings I used to. I NEVER eat junk -- and because I never eat junk it's easier to resist junk. (I know that's really hard to believe.) It's too easy to eat processed foods on Weight Watchers and stay within your points system. The plan I've followed is all whole foods. I lose weight very slowly (people who started off smaller than me lost weight faster, even though I was perfect on the plan), but I've been delighted to find something that actually has worked.

• CATIV Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2009
    32. Jan 16, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to rubina)

Much of the information below is right on track with successfull weight loss strategies. However, one very important point is missing. Weight loss/gain has a behavioral component. A lot of times, people will be affected by other issues in their lives that contributes to poor habits (smoking, drinking, too much exercise, drugs, and of course eating too much). We tend to do these things because it appears they are making us feel better. I urge you and others, to try to uncover if there are things in your life that contribute to bad habits. My bad habit is drinking too much and partying. Cutting alcohol drastically helps me maintain a normal healthy weight, and makes my exercise routine more effective. My sister eats to cope with stress. Going to therapy and counseling sessions can really help by helping you to grab control of some of the things that may be contributing to bad eating/lack of exercise/poor energy/lack of motivation/lack of empowerment.

For people that are under control with weight, the most important thing is to never get overweight. It's much easier to keep the weight off, than it is to lose 20-40 Lbs after the fact.

• running w/my boys Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    33. Jan 19, 2010 7:17 PM (in response to rubina)

Hi.  I have the same problem I have tried everything I used to bike 23 miles 3 days a week I would go out and run the other days but nothing seemed to be working until my son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and when I was checked I had it too.  This condition has a big affect on your metabolism.  My son is really small but healthy I was too when I was young but my doctor since I am older and have had four kids it really is impacting my weight.  I am now on medication and have lost 15lbs already.  Before you start anything else make sure your health is intact otherwise anything else you do will not help.  If it is not any underlying condition then talk to a dietician and exercise.

• zany2dmax Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 21, 2010
    34. Jan 21, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to rubina)

I've lost almost 45 lbs, and cut my body fat percentage from 32 to about 15 since last summer, doing this:  http://burnthefat.com

• Haren1818 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    35. Jan 21, 2010 12:06 PM (in response to rubina)

I lost 70 lbs just eating 1200 calories a day in 3 meals and 2 snacks and walking/running on the treadmil for like 30 to 45 min a day!!! Its that simple trust me!!!

• Lorki7 Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    36. Feb 3, 2010 6:19 AM (in response to rubina)

I am having a hard time too losing weight and I do cardio exercise 6 days a week including running 10 miles a week!  I found that I must adhere strictly to 1200 calories a day (I am 5'2")  I must weigh everything and measure flat tablespoons not the kitchen spoons but real measuring spoons, accurate measuring cups etc.  I way over estimate 3 ounces of chicken breast even after measuring it for almost a year. I am losing an average of 4 pounds a month this way however I have lost 57 pounds so it works if you are diligent and be very conscious of every bite.  I know this doesnt sound fun but if you cant lose weight other than thyroid or other health issues this is a solution!  You can always look up the calories of most restaurants and fast food places by typing the name and nutrtion (ie. McDonalds nutrition or TGIF nutrition etc.) in google and plan ahead before you go out to eat, or set up a list ahead in your mind of what you can have - I often eat half of the order and it works fine.  Write everything down or record it online! I have used several web-sites for it, currently I use fatsecret.com but have used others, this one is easiest for me and I can use the app. on my smart phone.  It takes time to get used to but you do.  Good luck!

• dave@sourcedirectpromos.c Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    37. Feb 21, 2010 10:33 PM (in response to rubina)

1.  Use walking and biking as transportation.  Have a grocery store nearby?  Start walking instead of driving.  Have an eye appointment 5 miles away?  Hop on the bike.  You'll actually 'save' time by being more productive/more focused when at work or with your family.

2.  Set exercise goals.  How fast can you run 20 minutes on the treadmill?  Even if you're walking the mill to begin with, okay, that's your starting point.  See if you can add 10 seconds of running to 50 seconds of walking next time, and see how much ground you can cover in 20 minutes.

3.  Start the day off right with a low-carb start like eggs or a protein shake instead of a bagel or carby alternative.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...