Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12565 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2010 6:05 PM by leaperlover Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Nov 2, 2009 6:19 PM (in response to SmeLLy08)
    Re: The hubby just doesn't get it.....

SmeLLy08 wrote:

I don't normally post stuff, but i'd like to share what my signif. other said to me one day after a long run one day while i was training for my first marathon. He said "Its so stupid; why couldn't you pick a better hobby? Running takes no skill." I had run 17 miles that day. And that, my friends, is someone who just doesn't get it.

How about this: Tell him (politely) that since it's supposedly so easy, that he should go out there and run 17 miles. At your pace. And he can't back off and use a bicycle. If he actually takes you up on your offer, you can then have the pleasure of seeing how far he actually gets.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• Runninggunny Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 3, 2008
    31. Nov 2, 2009 9:02 PM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric good luck with the running, and keep going. 

Running is an awesome sport!  It's cool the people that you meet when you are running.  I run all distances but the marathon is what I love to do.  I am a back of the pack marathon runner.  Even though it takes me a long time to finish I still feel like I have accomplished something. 

jetbike -  it is awesome that you and your wife ran the MCM.  You are blessed BIG time! I was there also.  I saw all the couples and friends running and it was motivating. 

My hope is that everyone on this thread keeps running.

Semperfi!

" Pray, Run, Pray "

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    32. Nov 3, 2009 12:41 PM (in response to fredfromsj)

Fred,

Thanks for the tips but believe me I'm not lonely.  I do personally believe that running is not a team sport and that most runners do it because it is a solitary activity (ok you can all bash me now).  Let me share a quick story from last night...sometimes support comes in unexpected ways.  After work in my car I'm going to plug in my ipod (my running ipod i might add) like I do all the time...and its dead.  Uh oh.  So i figure it just needs a charge. Go home and plug it in and its still dead...I mean really dead.  So I've had some tough situations I've been dealing with the past week and honestly can't really emotionally handle one more negative and pretty much freak out.  I've got an 8 mile run in the mornign and there is NO way I can do it sans ipod and I have to go out and can't get to the store...blah blah blah, you get the picture.  Well my family is looking at me like I'm nuts like they usually do when anything I do has to do with running and i leave pretty upset (and I'm not a cryer I might add but I was pretty busted up...it's been a bad week).  I come home a few hours later and lo and behold a new ipod fully loaded with my playlist and charged up is waiting for me....I guess they do support me, just not in obvious ways.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    34. Nov 5, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Steve,

I am lucky to have someone like you to get me started on running marathons 10 years ago and keep up with all the travel plans, race schedules, pushing me to run faster etc...

It ha been an adventuress 10 years!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    35. Nov 6, 2009 4:46 AM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

I have to say I am lucky that my DH is supportive even though he doesn't really have much interest in running.   He has tried it himself, only because I do it and he wants to run with me, but it just isn't his thing.  He sometimes comes along with me on my runs - I run, he walks and we meet up at the end.  He has come to almost every race and sometimes volunteers which usually means getting there at some ungodly hour in the morning.  Once or twice he has entered a race with me because I kept telling him how fun they are and I want him to catch the excitement.  Although he can walk/run a 5K in about 35-36 minutes (which I think is pretty decent for someone who isn't really into it) it still just isn't his thing.  He's one of those people who doesn't think its worth the money for the race fee - at least for himself.  But I have to give him credit, even though running doesn't really float his boat he is wants to be part of what I like to do so he gets involved as much as he can.

• MsMelissa71 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 24, 2009
    36. Jan 20, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

My hubby does not get it either.  He laughed in my face when I told him that I wanted to run and that I planned on running an 1/2 marathon this summer.

My husband does not understand why i wont sit in a bar beside him all weekend long.

How do you try to get them to understand that you dont want to drink your life away?

• bbarnhill Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007
    37. Jan 20, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to MsMelissa71)

How do you get them to understand you do not want to drink your life away?  You go out there and run Melissa!  You keep on running girl and then they will understand or maybe even join you one day.  Don't let anyone bring you down for trying to be a better person!  We will support you!

Dec 24, 2009
    38. Jan 21, 2010 7:09 AM (in response to bbarnhill)

Thanks for the support!

God knows I wont get it at home. I just feel that it is sad that some of us can not get the support that we need from home.  My husband could not even support me on my decision to quit smoking because he is a smoker and he does not want to ever quit.   I am on day 76 of not smoking. I do have a very good friend that has supported me and is continuing to support me in all my accomplishes. 

Have fun and Run safe!

• bbarnhill Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007
    40. Jan 21, 2010 9:40 AM (in response to MsMelissa71)

Congratulations on quiting smoking!  I'm glad you have some support from your friend.  Give us a shout anytime you need some extra support.

• Marissack Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    41. Jan 21, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

First, congrates on not smoking anymore Melissa!!  I did not realize so many do not have support, I could not be where I am today without the support of my husband.  I have only been running for less than a year.  He even fitted me with a TV and VCR with surround sound in front of my treadmill.  However, he thought I was a little crazy when I told him I was running the ING Half Marathon in Atlanta March 21.  I have ran several 5k's and I will be running my first 10k in February.  It is great when I get home from a race and everyone greets me wanting to know how I did.  I agree that running is a solitary sport.  I homeschool and the only time no one seeks me out is when I am on the treadmill.  Keep up to good work and do not worry about what anyone says to you.  Like so many have said before me, you can't understand if you have never crossed a finish line and know the self gratification of completing something you set out to do on your own.  HAPPY RUNNING EVERYONE!!

Marissa Kirby 

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Jan 21, 2010 11:22 AM (in response to MsMelissa71)

Melissa,

Congrats on quitting smoking!  I can't offer any advice, but wanted to tell you about my parents.  They were smokers since before I was born.  For whatever reason 2 years ago my mom decided she wanted to quit regardless of my dad.  Of course he didn't want to, and continued smoking.  It took a couple months and he started cutting his smoking down, but not on purpose.  He got lonely sitting outside on the porch by himself and then only started smoking at work.  Well last year he decided if mom could do it than so could he, and he has not smoked for a full year now!

Good luck, and keept at it!

Dec 24, 2009
    43. Jan 21, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to TyKy)

Thank you all for the support!

TyKy,

You said that your father smokes on the back porch.  I can not even get my husband to do that for me.  He smokes in the house and when I have mentioned it to him, his comment was "This is my house too and I can smoke in it if I want too"  I gather that reply as no respect for me in any way.

I really wish he would smoke outside on our screened in porch because he smokes so much that when he is home on weekends I feel like I have smoked a pack myself.  I guess the only good thing about all of this is that he is a truck driver and is only home on the weekends most of the time.  LOL!

• billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    44. Jan 21, 2010 12:59 PM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

Sometimes you just have to wear them down.  After 19 years of marriage, my wife has started running races also.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...