Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9325 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 7:35 AM by beachskirun 1 2 3 Previous Next
mamasu Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 21, 2010 5:10 PM

Always a walker... starting to run at age 42!

Wow, you guys have inspired me to go for it! I have always wanted to be a runner but haven't had the time to train.... at least that's what I told myself. At age 42 and 20 lbs. overweight it will be a challenge but tired of making excuses. So happy I'm not alone! 

• RollTyde Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    1. Jan 21, 2010 5:32 PM (in response to mamasu)
    Re: Always a walker... starting to run at age 42!

I'm in the process of losing a few lbs myself, and I also have never been a runner.  The best part is, now that I'm running for myself, and not because a coach is making me, I'm loving it.  I wish you success, and hope you continue to keep it up!

Upcoming Races

3/13/10  HH Shamrock Run 5K    29:40

6/5/2010  Hog Jog 5K Trail Run

7/17/10  HH Beach Bum Triathlon

10/10/10 Buzzard Island Adventure Run

11/6/10  HH Bridge Run 10K

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    2. Jan 22, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to mamasu)

Mamasu - Awesome decision!  Enjoy your journey and new lifestyle!  I started when I was 44 so yes, old dogs can learn new tricks.  Take your time, train smart, and most of all enjoy.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Want2doit Amateur 17 posts since
    Jan 10, 2010
    3. Jan 22, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to mamasu)

Mamasu,

Good luck on your training.  I just started as well and haven't run in 6 years and turning 40 this year so in the same boat.  It was difficult to find time when my kids were littler and dependent on mamabear so now it is finally time to put some of my needs on the front burner too.  I don't think it is ever too late and the older we get the more we realize how important health and exercise can be for our bodies.  Best of luck and stay on these forums b/c the motivation is key to being successful.

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    4. Jan 22, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to mamasu)

Kudos to you, mamasu!  I also started running at age 42 and I'm going on 5 years now.  I eventually started cross-training with swimming and biking and now I do 3-4 triathlons a year in addition to running events.

Start with a couple of 5Ks and once you're comfortable work your way up to a 10K and further if you really get the bug.  Don't rush it, you have plenty of time.  Listen to your body, you will get aches and pains but don't get disouraged because you will recover to run again another day.

Good luck!!

• RollTyde Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    7. Jan 22, 2010 3:32 PM (in response to mamasu)

I'm currently doing anywhere between 1-3 miles.  I've been training for my first 5K for several weeks now.  As for the encouragement, it goes both ways. 

Upcoming Races

3/13/10  HH Shamrock Run 5K    29:40

6/5/2010  Hog Jog 5K Trail Run

7/17/10  HH Beach Bum Triathlon

10/10/10 Buzzard Island Adventure Run

11/6/10  HH Bridge Run 10K

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    8. Jan 22, 2010 4:01 PM (in response to mamasu)

Hello! Isn't it funny how so many of us started right in that 40+ age range. Like you, I started at 42, which was just two years ago. I'm not a high-mileage runner (only 15 - 20 miles per week right now, which is actually high for me). I've always taken a steady but low-intensity approach to it. Building a base for running taaaaaaakes tiiiiiiiiiiiime.    I'm still improving, still increasing my fitness and endurance, and still getting a bit faster, a little at a time. The advantage we have in our 40s, I think, is that we have more patience than we did in our 20s. So that's my advice to you -- be patient with yourself. Slow, steady progress is great, and it'll help you avoid injury. Best of luck!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    10. Jan 25, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to mamasu)

Mamasu - sorry I didn't see your post from the other day!  I've been running since early July 2008 and was able to complete my first 5K in late September 2008 so just about 3 months give or take a week. I didn't start to run to run for me.  My DS was training for a karate belt test and needed to build endurance and his sensei suggested running for him.  Since he was 11 at the time and a little lazy (well a lot lazy really), I decided to get him moving I needed to move too.  That was 80 pounds and lots of miles ago.  I was hooked after the first month.  I knew he would be stopping once he passed his test so I signed up for the 5K so I would keep going.  I use races as a motivation tool...I sign up and train to run the race.  Ran my first HM in October 2009 and will run my second in April.  Before I started my new HM training plan (which is very different than how I trained for my first) I was averaging about 40 - 45miles a week.  This  new plan incorporates a lot of speed, interval and hill work so the mileage is cut down quite a bit but the quality of the miles has increased in intensity.  In other words, more quality less quantity.  I had read initially to train for long distances for endurance and speed second.  Well I've got the endurance down, now I'm working on increasing speed. Running is my passion....I guess you can call it my midlife crisis...I've met amazing people, done things I've never thought I'd be able to do, and I look better than I've looked since I graduated high school (I'm totally serious about that). I finally have a healthy relationship with my body and my mind....because of that, I'll never stop running.  I wish you the best and I hope you find that passion too....it is SOOO worth it.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Mylam Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    11. Jan 25, 2010 11:33 AM (in response to mamasu)

All:

Glad I happened upon this thread as I really feel good about my accomplishment. I was 55 when I started walking in May 2008, added running in December 2008 and participated in my first 5k in March 09. Second 5K  in October 09 when I continuously ran the entire second half, and improved my pace by a full minute. Due to injuries (plantar faciatis) took some time off, but this month began to train for a 6K in April. I toy with the idea of a half marathon, but first want to run an entire 5k.

I have lost 20+ lbs, but most importantly I feel healthier and energized. Wish I had started this long ago, glad I started when I did.

By the way, did I mention that I was 50 lbs overweight when I started.

• Shorty158 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    12. Jan 25, 2010 11:19 AM (in response to mamasu)

I am 41 and finishing week 6 with 38lbs to lose so it can be done.  I will admit to putting two days of rest in between runs at the beginning of the program to compensate for my total and complete out of shape self.  Enjoy it!  It is very empowering and uplifting.  You should float right into since you were a regular walker.  We are here if you need anything.

• txbandman Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    14. Jan 25, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to mamasu)

That is awesome that you are starting running.  My circumstance was somewhat the same in that I picked it up past forty and about 20 lbs overweight, but I had run track in HS and even a 5K in college, so for me it was "getting back into shape" after being out for a long long time.

My advice to you is to update your training log religiously.  One of the things that kept me on the wagon this time (I've now been running since late 2005) is being able to look at the progress on a chart.  My first time out, I ran about 1/2 mile and then walked to finish my 30 minute workout.  It took me about 6 months to build my non-stop run distance up to 5K, but I did it and I honestly look forward to my runs now.  When you get to 5K, find races to run.  They are a great way to stay motivated.

I hope that you are successful and that you enjoy your new lifestyle as much as I do mine!

(March 09) St. Mary's Univ. 5K - 26:40

(April 09) SA Komen's Race for the Cure - 24:56.6

(May 09) Beach to Bay Marathon Relay (2nd leg) - 39:37

(June 09) American Sunrise 5K - 24:47.9

(June 09) Run for Africa 5K - 26:35.5

(August 09) My Cimarron 5K - 24:20.5

(November 09) Tx Lutheran University Bulldog 5K - 25:28

(December 09) New Braunfels Jingle Bell 5K - 26:27.6

(January 10) New Years 5K at Huber Ranch - 25:28.5

(February 10)  Fuego 5K - 24:46

(March 10) American Sunrise 5K - 23:39

(March 10) Melissa Ridge 5K - 24:54.6